Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Small Cat at Melbourne Zoo

Discussion in 'Australia' started by NatM, 6 Apr 2009.

1. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Do you mean that their breeding days are over too? :(

2. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

i dont see why you need jaguars to create a good south american exhibit? given the range of south american species represented in australia i am quite sure that a gret south american precint could be developed around existing species

3. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zoos want a 'flagship' species to build any thematic set of exhibits around. They're what bring in the punters. Melbourne has gorillas for the African rainforest (and precious little else at the moment, it must be said) and elephants for the Asian rainforest. A typical zoo visitor isn't going to drag their kid into a section of the zoo so they can see the marmosets and capybaras. Whether jaguars would cut the mustard as a flagship, I don't know - but it's the most likely South American species to do so. Perhaps importing a mix of standard-patterned and melanistic individuals would help.

Mind you - I think a program is plausible. Australia Zoo, Mogo and National Zoo and Aquarium would all jump at the chance to exhibit jaguars, I'm sure. You just need one or two of the public sector zoos to come in and you've got the space required for a program.

4. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Darling Downs Zoo wouldn't say no either!

But it's not going to happen while the current zoo-political thinking prevails.

However, priorities have been known to change so don't ever give up hope.

5. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

I've been viewing ISIS and apparently Melbourne Zoo have recently obtained a second serval. Can anyone confirm or is this an error?:confused:

6. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

"...too?" Are you sure??:D

7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Caracals are fairly common in U.S., I've seen over a dozen, but never seen or heard of a reddish color. All are tan, and I've seen both turkmenistan (asia) and south african as well as generic. This one in the photo appears a bit darker than the ones I've seen, but not at all off color. (By the way, perhaps the best caracal shot I've seen - getting the eyes that clear is not easy).

8. Electus Parrot

Electus Parrot Well-Known Member

I remember when he was at adelaide (which wasn't very long ago) you could get excellent footage of him climbing, jumping and running. I think I have all together about 1 hours worth.

I think one reason why he left adelaide is because he was rotating in that exhibit with a serval (which I have only seen from behind the scenes) and recently adelaide acquired another serval to form a breeding pair. Maybe they sent him to melbourne for more space for the servals.

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I guess it depends on the interpretation of what the word 'reddish' or 'tan' means to different people. I just now put 'caracal' into Google images and the pictures that came up were all what I expect caracals to look like (what I personally would call reddish), but very different to the colour of this one at Melbourne Zoo

10. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Most caracals I have seen are the reddish tan that everybody is referring to, but I understand the Turkmenistan variety (of which I understand the ex-Adelaide animal is) tends to be more washed out and silvery. It could also be due to age.

11. Thylacineotway

Thylacineotway Member

Sadly the caracal at Melbourne Zoo died of old age. He was a great cat and I will always remember him. He was my favourite animal at Melbourne Zoo

12. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Agreed, tetrapod. A very distinctive animal indeed. C. c. schmitzi is CITES Appendix I, so maybe somebody should be looking at building up a captive population.

13. Electus Parrot

I remember seeing it when it was at Adelaide, a very interesting animal that is for sure, and a very special animal for a collection.

14. Thylacineotway

Thylacineotway Member

Did the Caracal always used to walk around when it was at Adelaide?

15. Electus Parrot

From what I remember it was a very active animal, and was always out doing something, much more energetic than the servals that replaced it, I think I have only seen them once since they arrived many years ago.

16. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

The captive population is growing, and spreading at a good pace - we now have a specimen in the UK. ;)

17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Given the fact the subspecies is endangered and persecuted in the region and a fair number now are in Middle Eastern collections and the obvious link EAZA - Middle East, it might not be too out of the ordinary to expect EAZA making moves into setting up a captive ex situ population for known origin caracal (I know several southern African and Central Asian caracal exist in European collections and most others all have unclear histories).

It would be a particularly valuable addition to say arid land carnivore exhibits with sand cat, bat-eared fox, striped hyaena ..).