Join our zoo community

Wellington Zoo small news for 2011

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Chlidonias, 10 Mar 2011.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

good news for the bird then, but I too was hoping it would still be at the zoo when I got back to Wellington next week. The saltwater pool room has better photographic options than the nursery (which is to say, there are still window-reflection complications but they are easier to get around; and a photo of the taiko swimming would be more aesthetically pleasing than a photo of it in the hand).

2. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

A good excuse for a trip to Chatham Island, then. :p

:p

Hix

3. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Sir Ed to cross globe for hot date

One of the zoos Red Pandas is off to Bristol Zoo in the UK.

Sir Ed to cross globe for hot date | Stuff.co.nz

4. Chlidonias

straight from the zoo's Facebook today:

5. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

6. zooboy28

Wellington Zoo is temporarily home to almost 100 broad-billed prions, with the birds exhausted after a big storm hammered NZ. They have been brought in by members of the public and DOC. See photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150242409128462.330210.273172638461

Massey University is also full of the birds, with over 120, story here: Harsh winds exhaust sea birds - manawatu-standard | Stuff.co.nz

7. zooboy28

TV clip about the prions (100 at Wellington Zoo, 300 now at Massey) here: Exhausted seabirds being blown ashore - National - Video - 3 News

8. Chlidonias

there have been almost 700 prions through the zoo hospital now (on the 15th the total was over 660). Most of them are broad-billed prions but there are also small numbers of Salvin's, Antarctic, thin-billed, fairy and fulmar prions.

I've heard Massey has had between 550 and 600, almost solely broad-billed prions.

Apparently altogether around 2000 prions have been handed in to rescue centres etc for care. Estimated total for the wreck as a whole is at least 30-40,000 birds, and perhaps in the hundreds of thousands (mostly dead)

Last edited: 17 Jul 2011
  9. Chlidonias

Giant creepy-crawlies arrive at Wellington Zoo | Stuff.co.nz

10. zooboy28

Good to hear that they are progressing with the Reptile Rotunda, sounds like that area is coming along quite quickly. The picture on that link suggests that the old meerkat exhibit has been demolished, or is at least in the process.

Have the Australian reptiles moved into the Old Elephant House exhibits yet?

11. Chlidonias

I don't think they have - I read something the other day implying that at least. I'm planning on going to the zoo this week sometime so I'll see then.

12. Chlidonias

I visited the zoo today, which will be the last time till November. Some comments on points and questions brought up in the threads:

*The kune-kune looked really wierd in the old peccary enclosure. I do wonder what they will do with this when the kune-kune move to the Meet the Locals area.

*Three of the red pandas were very active, roaming all over their respective enclosures scent-marking everywhere. Nice to see as red pandas are usually only seen sleeping.

*One of the pigmy marmosets in the ugly enclosure had its arm completely bandaged due to an injury and the three were shut inside the "hut". There were no emperor tamarins on display, and I gather this is because the new one is being introduced to the resident one, and then both will be introduced to the pigmy marmosets.

*The white heron and little pied shag are now back on display, in the last aviary at The Roost (although the sign is still that old one which labels the latter a black shag with a photo of a little black shag). The aviary next to that one has the kingfisher in it now. The aviary on the other side of the building that had a morepork now has little owl instead.

*The huge blue-tongue skink slide is awesome! I wish it wasn't still cordoned off, and that I was small enough to use it! The tarantula was still wrapped up but looked good too. I actually didn't see the giant centipede at all. Photos of the slide and tarantula are in the gallery.

*The Elephant House reptile enclosures are still empty, and don't look very close to being ready. Maybe a few weeks. The old kiosk which will be a Reptile House still just looks the same, although work is going on around it (presumably the inside is already being outfitted though).

*The leopard tortoise/old meerkat enclosure is completely gone apart for the rubble, and in further construction news one of the serval cages is part-demolished (the site of the future Australian walk-through enclosure)

13. Arvicola

Arvicola Member 10+ year member

Wellington Zoo received 4 juvenile Green Iguanas this week from Melbourne Zoo.
    There are a number of photos on the zoos Facebook page

14. zooboy28

Very cool! These are the only iguanas on display in NZ (and the only ones here legally). They are on display in the mini-monkey exhibit, with the pygmy marmoset and emperor tamarins, and like them have a series of 'lizard' themed artifacts, specifically tapes of 'the lounge lizards' :D

15. Chlidonias

this is excellent! It's been a long time since I saw a (legal) iguana in NZ!

16. Arvicola

17. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

A Nyala calf was born this morning.

:p

Hix

18. Arvicola

19. zooboy28

Excellent news! This brings the total population at the zoo (and Australasia) to 2.3, with this female. Sad to hear that they had a stillbirth 6 months ago though.

Pretty sure that should be calf not lamb? Presumably the zoo is happy with lamb though, as that is what they are calling it on their facebook page.

20. zooboy28

Killer Crane gets Keeper Sacked

I guess this sort of news fits in this thread, bit of a sad story really.

Wellington Zoo Keeper Sacked After Crane Kills Bird... | Stuff.co.nz