Join our zoo community

Smithsonian National Zoo Smithsonian National Zoo News 2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by TZFan, 1 Jan 2016.

1. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You can vote to name the baby agouti.

Vote to Name the Agouti Baby

I also want to make a correction. Turns out the zoo is trying to raise the money for the eel exhibit by the end of year. So my mom was right and i'm an idiot that can't read.

2. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Thanks jay, I didn't realize when reading the plans that the Coffee Farm was actually a live bird exhibit. You're probably right that it will be all or mostly tropical species and that does alleviate my concerns.

3. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

Do we know for certain that tropical species will be highlighted in the coffee farm exhibit? While coffee is primarily farmed in tropical regions, many of those regions are also the winter homes for migratory birds from the north. If the goal is to truly showcase migration, I would imagine that at least some of the species shown here will be species from North America, possibly augmented by some tropical species. I have no knowledge as to whether or not this actually will be the case (and would love to hear from anyone who does), but I would think that a coffee farm exhibit consisting solely of non-migratory tropical species would not fit into the exhibit as it's been described.

4. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It was merely my speculation that some tropical species would be represented. I agree that it's more than likely that a good chunk of the species will be migratory. I'd imagine that at least some normal tropical birds will be represented. As far as I'm aware there aren't any species released for the specific exhibit.

5. Andrew_NZP

6. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If I may ask, are there any new plans for the zoo currently like new species, new buildings, transfers?

7. Andrew_NZP

Experience migration, electric eel tank at Amazonia. They don't really release a lot info to the public.

8. Andrew_NZP

The zoo has three new pelicans on American trail named Huey, Scout and Pappy

9. jayjds2

Visited today, tried to sort out the Experience Migration logistics.

The bird-friendly coffee farm species list is all up in the air right now. The most likely scenario at present is some migratory species and some smaller parrots. The geographic area targeted to represent is Cental America. Given species availability, it's entirely likely that some non-migratory, non-parrot species will be part of the exhibit. After all, the zoo has 3 years to acquire birds, and of course the list could change after the exhibit opens.

Outdoors, not much is changing. The flamingo yard might have a slight renovation. A few years down the line, the ratite yards may also change slightly to accommodate for ostriches (potentially red necked!) but nothing has a solid plan yet. The crane yard species will change (more on that in a bit).

Species changes, plans, and renovations:

Small Mammal House: three exhibits are boarded up for renovations. Prehensile tailed porcupines are now entirely off exhibit because of this. One of the northern tree shrew exhibits is under renovation, but they are displayed elsewhere. Additionally, half of the Geoffroy's marmoset/two-toed sloth exhibit (it was two exhibit spaces combined in one) is now blocked off.

Bird House interior: Kiwi, Socorro doves, and hornbill are now gone. Habitats formerly housing hornbill, Micronesian kingfisher, North Island brown kiwi, and one still housing new migratory song birds are blocked off. Scarlet tanagers were no longer signed.

Bird House exterior: blue billed curassow and king vulture exhibits were empty. The curassow habitat was signed for black crowned night heron, but I did not see any. I learned a bit about the crane yards. The zoo tentatively plans to acquire two new species. However, that leaves one yard empty as the whooping cranes have been approved to breed and will transfer out soon.

Asia Trail: sloth bears are off exhibit for the winter

Reptile Discovery Center: the impressed tortoise exhibit is empty (no substrate or anything) and a new boa constrictor is on exhibit.

Amazonia: 1.0 golden bellied grosbeak has been added to the walk-through rainforest, and it is confirmed that there is only one titi monkey.

American Trail: I'm not entirely sure on our wolves' social situation but this time, the white wolf was in the large habitat and I didn't see the grey one.

10. Andrew_NZP

Did the person you talked to say what the changes would be? Like would a few species have to leave because of this?

There's always an exhibit under renovation or boarded up in the small mammal house.

I would assume they would bring in two species from Front Royal (SCBI) unless they mean species that they don't currently have at either facility.

Was there a sign that said this or did you just not see them? I don't think they've ever taken the sloth bears off exhibit for winter.

11. jayjds2

No, other than a potential renovation of a yard for ostriches. I don't think there are any official plans yet.

I know what the species are, but am neglecting to say just because it's not official. They are species not currently present at either facility. There isn't a designated planned species for the soon-to-be empty yard, but there is a species likely to go there (again, not at either facility at present).

Both yards had signs saying "Animals off exhibit" or something similar (unsure of exact wording). I presumed it was for the winter, but perhaps it was just for the day.

12. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. Andrew_NZP

Giant Panda Cub Bei Bei Recovering from Successful Bowel Surgery

14. Andrew_NZP

A third Eld's deer was born at SCBI.

15. Andrew_NZP

16. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. Andrew_NZP

The bird house will close January 2nd for construction of “Experience Migration”.

Smithsonian’s National Zoo To Build “Experience Migration” Exhibition Dedicated to Migratory Birds

The exhibit is scheduled to open in the spring of 2020.

• Red Knot
    • Ruddy Turnstone
    • Horseshoe Crabs
    • Fish and Invertebrates
    • Various species of Waterfowl
    • Baltimore Oriole
    • Wood Thrush
    • Sunbittern
    • Songbirds
    • Caribbean Flamingos
    • Ratites
    • Cranes
    • Kori Bustards
    • Wild Turkey
    • Wood Duck
    Some of the species mentioned in the article.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2016
  18. jayjds2

There's been the normal rearrangement of animals in the Bird House. No news species, most exhibits have at least one species in them.

The outdoor portion of the Bird House (flamingos, rheas, kori bustards, cranes, etc.) will remain open for a few months after the House closes.

Nothing is boarded up in the Small Mammal House, all but two exhibits are occupied.

Some new signage is being put in- usually notices like "don't feed the animals" added to additional signs. The orangutans had a major new installation in the Great Ape House, though.

Sloth bears still have the off-exhibit signs in one yard (the bigger one) but I didn't see a bear in the smaller.

Giant anteater is off exhibit, and as I haven't seen the Andean bears in many visits it's likely that they are too.

19. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Giant anteater is probably off exhibit due to the cooler weather. Although it would be awesome if it was because the female was pregnant (not sure if the two bred this year). Billie Jean is the only Andean bear left and keepers are optimistic she is pregnant again as she's been denning and gaining weight.

20. jayjds2

Oh, I didn't know the cubs had left. Any idea of where they've gone?