Join our zoo community

Smithsonian National Zoo Smithsonian National Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by Mbwamwitu, 2 Jan 2020.

1. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

2. AmbikaFan

3. AmbikaFan

The above are final thoughts in a discussion whether it would be beneficial for the herd/Komala for Komala to move to another facility. The news today is that the Phoenix Zoo's Reba has died. Phoenix is the one AZA zoo known for managing aggressive and violent elephants. Since each of their 3 lived individually, I don't know if the AZA will require that they maintain the minimum of 3 required of every other institution. The Bronx, after all, seems to have an exemption with their two, Happy and Patty, because they cannot live together. With a slot seemingly open for an aggressive elephant, I suppose we'll see just how the zoo feels about her place in the herd. If they think it would be in everyone's best interest for her to move, here is the opportunity for a move. So if we see Komala staying in DC, I think we can conclude that the expert elephant staff at NZP thinks she should stay where she is with the rest of the herd, despite her behavior issues.

4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not the most exciting news but at the beginning of January Ripley Waterfowl Conservancy sent three NA Wood Ducks, three Northern Pintails, and four American Ruddy Ducks to the zoo, presumably for the new migration exhibit.

~Thylo

5. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

6. Andrew_NZP

7. AmbikaFan

The member zooletter this week is a fundraising appeal:

"But these are uncertain and difficult times for everyone. Because of COVID-19, the Zoo is closed to the public. That means that the Smithsonian's National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute and FONZ are no longer receiving the important funds on which we rely."

I'm not sure what this means. Since the zoo, like all Smithsonian entities, does not charge an admission fee, they can't mean earned income here, not are they losing FONZ membership monies because those are renewed throughout the year. Could this possibly mean the federal government has cut off its funding? It would seem unlikely, but then again, the costs for all the other entities would be dramatically reduced without visitors. Has the government cut the Zoo's funding? The only other option, it would seem, is that the zoo is simply using this emergency as a way to tug on heartstrings and elicit extra donations. Would they really do that? I find either option worrying.

8. NAIB Volunteer

NAIB Volunteer Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No, the Smithsonian is funded as an entire entity - not museum by museum. It will never not be funded by the federal government. There are still millions in lost revenue from retail sales, vending, parking, events, private functions, ect.

E Maximus and Andrew_NZP like this.
  9. AmbikaFan

Thanks for clearing this up. This has been going on long enough that I forgot that it's spring break, Easter Monday, and the onslaught of school visits already. Time seems to either stand still or fly by these days of isolating. No wonder the appeal I quoted seemed so stiff--the (necessary) markup on vending and good and sales isn't exactly something the zoogoer would be thrilled to realize is so significant as to make such a difference.

10. Andrew_NZP

11. Kevin2342

Kevin2342 Well-Known Member

Does the zoo still keep the following species:
    1. Eastern diamondback rattlesnake
    2. Green crowned basilisk
    3. Chameleon forest dragon
    4. Greater mouse-deer
    5. Acouchi(it’s been several years since it has been on exhibit, removed from website)
    6. Banded mongoose
    7. Johnston’s croc( been couple of years, removed from website)
    8. Hooded merganser
    All have been listed as “ not currently on exhibit” besides 5 and 7. Does anyone know if the zoo still has them off- show?

12. Andrew_NZP

Some of them could be off-exhibit, but usually it means they no longer have the species. Like the zoos last northern white-cheeked gibbon died in February, but they also listed them as "not currently on exhibit" instead of just removing their page.

I don't believe these were posted before, and if they were, here they are again! Three north american river otter pups were born in January, a first for the zoo. A lesser kudu calf was also born in January, and a brown kiwi hatched at SCBI.
    Top Animal News Updates

Elephant Enthusiast likes this.
  13. Kevin2342

I know sometimes when the last surviving representative of a particular species died at the zoo, it was listed as not currently on exhibit on the webpage, like as you said about the white cheeked gibbon. But do you know what happened to the animals I listed as not currently on exhibit? For many of the former bird house inhabitants, they are listed as not currently on exhibit but they are still at the zoo, like some of the cranes for example.

14. Kevin2342

Also what happened to the burrowing owls? They are also listed as not currently on exhibit.

15. Nolie Thornell

Nolie Thornell Active Member

Those animal updates were from last year after the zoo reopened

16. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Definite no to 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. Their basilisk is a plumed, I don't think that's the same as green crowned? They now only have dwarf mongoose. With bird species, like the merganser and burrowing owls, it's difficult to know because of the bird area being closed. The only birds currently viewable are:
    -Ruppell's griffon vulture (with the dama gazelles)
    -Abyssinian ground hornbill (with the kudu)
    -Von der Decken's hornbill (with the meerkats)
    -green aracari (with the golden lion tamarins and sloth)
    -brown pelican (with the sea lions)
    -bald eagle (american trail)
    -raven (american trail)
    -couple of species in Amazonia (definitely roseate spoonbill, green aracari, hawk-headed parrot, and sunbittern, possibly a few others)

17. Kevin2342

I meant green crested basilisk, not green crowned. Also what happened to the eastern diamondback rattlesnake?

18. TinoPup

Then yes, they still have the basilisk. Photo is from Jan 1st. 31a.jpg

Elephant Enthusiast likes this.
  19. Kevin2342

The website still says the basilisk is not currently on exhibit. Is the basilisk off exhibit?

20. TinoPup

It might be a very recent change. I have photos of it from several visits last year, it's one of my favorites.