Join our zoo community

Snake Conservation Groups Name 2013 as Year of the Snake; Snake Studies a Priority; V

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by findi, 14 Feb 2013.

1. findi

findi Well-Known Member

Hi All,

In 2010, I highlighted a study that documented steep declines in a number of snake species. Despite disturbing similarities to the “Disappearing Amphibian Crisis”, the snake situation seems not to have generated widespread concern. In my own career as a herpetologist, opportunities to become involved in snake conservation were also limited. Although I was fortunate enough to work in programs designed to bolster the populations of several species, including Green Anacondas, Indigo and Hognose Snakes, most such efforts were short-lived. I was pleased to learn, therefore, that a partnership of several major conservation organizations has made the plight of the world’s snakes a priority for the year 2013…and help is being sought from interested snake enthusiasts, regardless of experience.
    Read more here Snake Conservation in 2013 - The ?Year of the Snake? Begins That Reptile Blog
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj.

Thanks, Frank
    My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog That Reptile Blog
    Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I enjoy your posts Frank. I'm glad to see that there is a coalition for snake conservation coming together.

It seems like apes are genetically hardwired to fear snakes, and it certainly doesn't help that the dominant Western religions have an evil snake starring in the origin story of creation. There's a lot of work to do to show that snakes are vital members of the ecosystem and need to be conserved. Hopefully zoos are helping do this work - I think that they are.

3. findi

findi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words, David. There's some work that hints of evolutionarily-driven fears in humans as well; much is taught as well - certainly in some places where I've worked, children learn to avoid all snakes, spiders, scorpions at an early age, and this makes good sense most of the time. This article summarizes some of the research. This amazing study on People as Python Prey is also somewhat on point.

I think zoos are moving in the right direction, thanks again, Best, Frank