Join our zoo community

Paradise Wildlife Park Snippets of news from Paradise Wildlife Park

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by mhale, 2 Feb 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

I've just seen two snippets of news on Paradise's facebook page:

"Mephisto (our male cheetah from WHF) will be at the Park from tomorrow for 2 months"

"Sheena, a female African leopard will be arriving at the Park on Monday 8th Feb."

Sheena was featured in this newspaper article last year Mouse steals food from African leopard - Telegraph

I think I might take a trip up there again this year, now that they've got an African leopard, as well as Harry the clouded leopard who arrived recently :)

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Having just seen where Sheena was born,she will not be a pure African Leopard,but a generic zoo leopard,the place she was born did house pure sub-species and species of Leopard but not African.On my last visit they only had Persian,Clouded,Generic Black,Generic Spotted and a Puma.

3. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Sheena has featured in a few television advertisements aswell! I thought that collection had been dispersed, are there still cats there? what will happen the others?

4. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

Paradise have received two young cheetahs (9 months old) in the last week (don't know where they came from though):

YouTube - MyPwp's Channel

Also, Karma the Asian short-clawed otter is expecting another litter in about a month.

5. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

The two cheetahs are from a private collection and unfortunatly harry the clouded leopard was PTS recently :( such beautiful cats!

6. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

Oh what a shame :( I was looking forward to seeing him next month when I am due to visit again.

7. Mr Saxon

Mr Saxon Well-Known Member

I was there recently and got to feed the African lion silbings! Phenomenal! Was brilliant and only fuelled my passion to become a zookeeper.
    DUring my visit I noticed they did have a large and wonderful collection of cats:
    Tigers
    African Lions
    White Lions
    Jaguars
    Snow Leopards
    Eurasian Lynx
    African Leopard
    Ocelot
    Cheetah
    Pallas Cat

Was really impressed with the cat collection and their enclosures, which provided great views and entertaining enrichment.

The otters were active and the female musn't have given birth too long ago because I did spot a fairly young one following the rest.

Got into a frankly repetative greeting with a parrot
    "Hello"
    "Ello!!"
    "Hello!"
    "Ello!!!"
    :D

Almost got spat upon by the baby Bactrian. Was taking a photo when I saw the lips purse slightly as it lined up so I made a hasty retreat.

8. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

9. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

From zoos Facebook page:

Sad news at Paradise....
    Sadly on Monday 20th December 2010, our magnificent male White Lion, Thabo passed away.
    This has been a great shock to us all. Kia, Themba and Izula seem well, but are noticeably missing Thabo. If you have any photos of Thabo please can you post them on this page as we would love to see them.

10. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Well-Known Member

I just saw the news and was about to post it too. Very sad news and I know the staff are still devastated. Thabo was an amazing animal, really impressive, and so good with his mate and cubs. The sound of his roar first thing in the morning is a memory that will last with me a lifetime. :(

11. Mr Saxon

Mr Saxon Well-Known Member

Awwwwww R.I.P :(
    May have some photos of him, maybe already in the parks gallery. I'll see if I can find some more

12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hara departed yesterday (Tuesday 11th January)
    Hoddesdon News & Broxbourne News | Latest News & Events in Hoddesdon & Broxbourne In Hertfordshire | New home for Broxbourne snow leopard

Hopes are high that her parents will breed again in the near future

13. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sad news. The breeding female snow leopard (Kush) was put to sleep in February due to cancer :( The only snow leopard now remaining at PWP is the breeding male, Arun

14. stubeanz

sad news indeed although they are going to be bringing up kush's sister from WHF to go in with Aron sometime in the future.
    Stu

15. stubeanz

Bit of news...tommorow 11/03/2011 a new male white lion will be arriving from WMSP named Moto and will be joining Kia and Izula. Themba has moved down to WHF.

16. speedycheese

speedycheese Active Member 10+ year member

Visited today (11/07/11). Here's some news (some of which may be a bit old, so apologies if you already know):

-A Mountain Lion (or Puma, Cougar etc) has arrived, not sure where from, I assume the WHF. She is called Yazhi (I think that's how you spell her name), and was born July 2010. Which means the cat species count is now up to 10! If I have counted correctly.

-A new female tiger has arrived from the WHF called Indy. This is after Narnia, the white tiger, returned to the WHF. Indy is a hybrid, but I'm unsure what mix. She looks like a Sumatran x Bengal.

-I could not see the male White-Cheeked Gibbon anywhere. Unsure of where he is. :confused: Could not find a keeper who knew.

-The beavers have also gone. Which is no surprise as I have never seen them out.

-Bats are now in the "Toucan" House. Which had no Toucans at all. Only one pair of small bird, WHICH HAD NO SIGN!!! :mad:

-The female Zebra is pregnant, and looks ready to burst. :D

-I also have a question. Does anyone know the situation with the Jaguars? Are they ment to be a breeding pair?:confused: Again I could not find a keeper who could answer me that.:mad:

17. stubeanz

Unfortunatly the male gibbon died a while back. The beavers went to borth animalarium in 2010 due to escapes.
    Ares and Athena the jaguars have never mated although they have been together for years, it is thought that ares is all well physically but because he was hand reared has a few behavioural problems when it comes to breeding!

18. speedycheese

speedycheese Active Member 10+ year member

Thank you for the information!

19. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

20. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

The young Zebra has been confirmed as a male.

Twin Emperor Tamarins were born on 02/08/11/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.