Join our zoo community

Paradise Wildlife Park Snippets of news from Paradise Wildlife Park

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by mhale, 2 Feb 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Me too, he was one charismatic lesser ape.

2. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

OK, will see what I can find out :)

3. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Ethan is still there, with two lady-gibbon friends for company. Judging by all the adoptions he has on the board at the enclosure, he has some fans at PWP!

Have taken plenty of photos, will upload to the gallery tomorrow.

4. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sad News:

We're sad to announce the passing of our African leopard Sheena, who unfortunately passed away on the 10th March 2016 after a short illness.
    Sheena was born at Santago Rare Leopard Breeding Centre and came to Paradise Wildlife Park when Santago’s private collection closed late 2009. Santago Rare Leopard Breeding Centre was owned by Pete James and family and was renowned for breeding endangered leopards and was a crucial part of the international breeding programmes, as well as being the stud book keeper for the rare and beautiful clouded leopard. Peter Sampson, the owner of Paradise Wildlife Park was a good friend of Pete James and sadly when tragedy struck in 2008 when Pete James sadly passed away, Paradise Wildlife Park stepped in and rehomed the cats that where housed at Santago. One of which was Sheena who came to join us here at Paradise.
    Sheena was much loved by all the keepers here at Paradise and will be greatly missed. One of our long serving volunteers Lynn Bonner who spent much of her time with Sheena whilst she was here said “Sheena was a beautiful, majestic lady who enchanted everyone who met her. Peace and light.”

5. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

There can`t be many African Leopards left in the UK now, does anyone know?? There is male "Rajah" at Borth Animalarium, he`s about 18 years old now. Any others ??

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

If still alive, the melanistic individual at Heythrop is the only African left in the UK - the Borth animal is, I am told, a zoomix individual.

7. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

The Borth animal was born at Basildon Zoo and was sold to a private individual before being "rescued" by the RSPCA and deposited at Borth.
    The Basildon Leopard pair produced both melanistic and spotted cubs. I believe one of the adults was melanistic as well. So you are probably right there. I saw a melanistic pair at Heythrop last year but I didn`t know their provenance. Is the animal you mention a different animal there, I can`t remember how many he`s got.

8. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Was told Heythrop had 2.0 Spotted Leopards and 1.1 melanistic 2014/2015.

9. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just thought this might be of any interest during school term you can get in after 3pm for a £5 per person as long as you have a child with you. open till 6pm

10. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The latest brochure for Paradise Wildlife Park has a couple of shonky claims:

1. "We are the leading zoo in Europe, offering over 30 different pre-booked exotic animal experiences";

2. "The only zoo in the UK to have all 5 of the big cats -White Lions, Tigers, Snow Leopards, Jaguars and White Tiger"'

The first claim might be bad grammar and they're just saying they offer more "pre-booked exotic animal experiences" than any other zoo in Europe (not that I know if this is the case or not) but, to me, the second is a bit of a howler:

1. Who says they get to be one to proclaim what the five big cats (wrongly) are;

2. Is it a "free for all" and anywhere can name their own five "big cats" as all of the five big cats? If so Dartmoor were claiming similar a while back with Cheetah (and possibly Lynx) making up their five -one of them's lying if they'd have made the claim simultaneously.

TeaLovingDave and pipaluk like this.
  11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The thing which amuses me most about this claim is not the omission of Leopard or Clouded Leopard, nor the inclusion of White Tiger as a distinct species from bog-standard tigers...... but the fact that White Lion is listed as a "big cat" but normal Lion is not :p

Revealed, the world's largest small cat!

[​IMG]

12. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If they held normal lion they'd be claiming they had all six species of big cat!!

13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

maybe the line was intended to read more like "The only zoo in the UK to have 5 of the big cats..." and an extraneous "all" snuck in there. I don't know (obviously) if other UK zoos have five "types" of Big Cats, but that is the answer that jumped out at me.

14. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

15. garyjp

I think they do hold African Lions as well

16. garyjp

I think the brochure by the sound of it needed to be proof read a little more . But I like this zoo its a good little set up and i can remember it as the old Broxbourne Zoo and that was a dump . Its come a hell of a long way its not perfect but its what i would call a great introduction level to going to the zoo especially for kids

simon lloyd and pipaluk like this.
  17. pipaluk

Not when I was there 2 weeks ago

18. garyjp

so what is in that enclosure now

19. pipaluk

Sorry, i don't know which enclosure you refer to. They currently hold White Tiger, Amur Tiger, White Lion, Jaguar, Snow Leopard, Cheetah, Ocelot. No other cats that I can recall

20. garyjp

Just had a look on line white tigers are in where african Lions used to be

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.