Join our zoo community

Snowleopard's 2015 Road Trip

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 12 Jul 2015.

1. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the mini-reviews. Hopefully Zoo Montana can get back into the AZA and continue to develop what sound like excellent exhibits.

You are starting to write a guide to the zoos and speed traps of North America.

snowleopard likes this.
  2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Well that's a rather nice list of wildlife, and a solid ticket avoidance record! :cool:

If I was AZA I wouldn't be re-accrediting Zoo Montana. The outdoor exhibits look very good, but the Discovery Centre exhibits are appallingly tiny. If they replaced the Kookaburra with a moth, and the Green Aracari with a gecko then maybe I'd reconsider...

3. Norwegian moose

Norwegian moose Well-Known Member

I like your reviews and roadtripthreads Snowleopard, keep em coming!:D

4. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

Speeding

This is one area where I greatly prefer what we have here in the USA to what happens in Europe. Here in America, if you're caught speeding, you get pulled over by an actual cop. Then you might or might not get a ticket. Over in Europe (as is my experience), you can be trying to just follow the "flow of traffic" in Spain, and then for the next month or two after you get back home, you get speeding tickets in the mail! Had I known that the speed limit was being enforced so tightly (133 kph in a 125 kph zone), I definitely would have slowed down! The presence of an actual cop tells you that the speed limit is being enforced.

5. ANyhuis

Too bad some of our citizens haven't learned this. SnowLeopard is 100% right -- the vast majority of police officers are wonderful public servants!

6. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

While I am sure this is largely true, and while I certainly don't want to derail this thread by making political comments, I don't think it would be difficult to imagine that some police officers may have treated SnowLeopard differently if he - that is, our Canadian friend - had been different in one very obvious way.

TNT likes this.
  7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This thread is and will continue to be great reading for all. However, for those who do not have the time to read it from start to finish, the following four posts will summarize the great 2015 road trip from start to finish.

8. Arizona Docent

Snowleopard in Montana. :D

Attached Files:

9. Arizona Docent

Snowleopard in Texas. :D:D

Attached Files:

10. Arizona Docent

Snowleopard in Arizona. :D:D:D

Attached Files:

11. Arizona Docent

Snowleopard in California. :D:D:D:D

Attached Files:

12. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

@Arizona Docent: I love the images of the different backgrounds and stylized police cars...very funny!

DAY 3: Wednesday, July 15th

Today was only the single zoo but yet another whopper of a day in terms of driving. Approximately 1,100 km meant that the first three days of the trip saw me spend much of the time behind the wheel. It will be nice to see a few zoos each day rather than drive, drive, drive…

Riverside Discovery Center:

I walked up to the gate at Riverside Discovery Center (formerly Riverside Park & Zoo) and after I showed the employee my Woodland Park Zoo membership card she asked me where I was from and what I was doing down south in the United States. Before I knew it the employee had handed me over to the Education Curator (Amber) who was very chatty and almost in disbelief at the number of zoos that I’ve visited over the years. She was not aware of ZooChat but asked where I was “blogging” online. Then she pulled me into the main office building so that I met the Zoo Director (Ann) and we all chatted for ten minutes. They kept thanking me for visiting their zoo and I’ve had that experience before as it seems that many really tiny zoos in America have all of their visitors from the local community. It is not often that a tourist, especially one from all the way up in Canada, ambles up to their entrance gate.

After my ten minute showcase as a celebrity, I thanked them both and moved into the actual zoo. Both Ann and Amber are very passionate about Riverside, citing its recent improvements and proud of the AZA-accredited status of the facility. Neither of them had ever visited San Diego, Saint Louis or many other establishments, which didn’t shock me in the least. I’ve met a number of zoo personnel in the past who are just like Amber and Ann; wildly passionate about their local zoo and yet have never gone beyond the next state to visit many other zoological facilities. They both raved about Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo (rightly so!) but that is located on the other side of Nebraska from Riverside and thus quite a long drive away. I have found during all of my road trips that often professionals working in zoos, whether a keeper or director, often have to work all summer and every weekend as those days are the busiest for zoos. It is rare to locate someone working in a zoo that has even been to 50 zoos themselves; that kind of ridiculousness is left to obsessive zoo nerds like me and a few of my readers.

Anyway, Riverside Discovery Center has big plans for the future but with only 50,000 annual visitors and expensive dreams it will be interesting to see what transpires with the zoo’s Master Plan. I already uploaded approximately 70 photos of the zoo into the gallery and overall if I was into attributing numbers to zoos I’d give Riverside a 5 out of 10. The staff is very proud of being one of the smallest AZA-accredited zoos (almost 25 acres but less than 200 animals) and the Director told me that there is nothing else to do in Scottsbluff, Nebraska, and thus the zoo has always managed to sustain itself on meager attendance numbers and the goodwill of the surrounding community.

A Howletts-style Chimpanzee exhibit has three of the great apes and the zoo is looking to increase that total to seven in the future. The black metal cage is more than adequate for the animals but the indoor area is pretty grim (all cement, tiny, dark) and a great disappointment. The zoo did not put out any of its felines until 45 minutes after it opened, but average-sized exhibits for the following species are present: African Lion, Amur Tiger, African Leopard (black panther) and Eurasian Lynx. A Primate House has Colombian Black Spider Monkeys and Colobus Monkeys in modern-looking exhibits; Raptor Row has a few birds of prey; the Swift Fox exhibit is excellent and the zoo has had enormous breeding success with the species. In fact, there are only around 20 zoos with Swift Foxes in the country and I saw two of the inquisitive canines prowling their habitat. The American Bison/Mule Deer paddock and Grant’s Zebra enclosure both have a lot of fencing but one section on each with a thin strand of electric fence but also an innovative barrier system that was perhaps unique (see photos in gallery). The Discovery Center was rather ghastly with its 5 small glass-fronted exhibits; and I walked around the zoo in silence for an hour wondering where everyone was on such a lovely day. The answer was that the zoo was empty around animal exhibits but was packed in the central section due to the fact that there was a large playground, a barn with domestic animals and a splash pad water zone filled with kids. Who needs exotic animals!

Odds n’ Sods:

Music was supplied by Nirvana’s MTV Unplugged album; Canadian bands Blue Rodeo and Barenaked Ladies; Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers had their Greatest Hits blasting away; and “Hot Hits from Sussex, England” which was a bomb commercially but critically is rather entertaining and has aged well. The heat pounded away on my car with its sad-sack air-conditioning system, so I sat and sweated away the day. Zero notable wildlife sightings as I left the foothills of Montana and Wyoming and states packed with animals to the farms of Nebraska and Kansas. No more Pronghorn Antelope or Mule Deer and instead signs about selling your soul as church placards are at times resembling election signs along the side of the highway in Kansas. I don’t have time to save my soul as I have zoos to see...DAY 4 will see me visit 4 places in the state of Oklahoma! Gotta dash!

13. ANyhuis

Our family toured Riverside years ago when our (now grown) children were all quite small. I imagine it's changed a lot since then. By the way, SnowLeopard, I hope that you are also taking in some of the amazing historical sights along the way -- even if you don't have time to go see their Visitor Centers. As I recall, Riverside Zoo is very close to Chimney Rock, a very important landmark along the famous Oregon Trail. You can see Chimney Rock from the main interstate highway, so I'm hoping you took it in!

14. CleZooMan

CleZooMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@ANyhuis: Chimney Rock is near Bayard and McGrew, both east of Scottsbluff off Nebraska 92. It is at least 40-50 miles to I-80 from Chimney Rock. I have never been west of Big Springs (on 80). Can you really see Chimney Rock from 80?

15. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

@ANyhuis: I did see Chimney Rock, from a great distance, and it is a rather extraordinary sight.

DAY 4: Thursday, July 16th

I have yet to comment on the heat but I feel compelled to point out that my car essentially does not have any air-conditioning and stepping outside is akin to placing one’s head inside an oven. I end up sticking to the car seat for 12 hours each day, only to feel relief when I venture inside a McDonald’s or Taco Bell. The big dilemma is whether I drive with the windows rolled all the way up, with semi-hot air blasting at me through the air ducts (but at least I can hear the music!) or do I drive with the driver’s side window rolled all the way down but then I feel like I’m in a wind tunnel. Alas, the demands of an extensive road trip are many. Music was supplied by Red Hot Chili Peppers and their Greatest Hits; Moby’s 1999 hit album Play; and Neil Young’s compilation Decade (first disc only).

The highlight of today was meeting Taylor (aka “Black Rhino” on ZooChat) for the first time. He used to be very prominent on this website when he was a teenager but now he is in his early twenties and working part-time as a keeper at Oklahoma City Zoo. Taylor has actually volunteered/worked/interned at four different American zoos (in four different states!) and he has gained a lot of knowledge when it comes to zoos. He and I had always kept in contact with the odd message on ZooChat or Facebook and it was great to meet up in person and we toured Tiger Safari together in the afternoon. I only wish it had been a longer visit as we could have discussed zoos all day long. Unfortunately, I had a schedule to keep and when I left him at 2:30 I still had a couple more zoos to see!

Oklahoma Aquarium:

Oklahoma Aquarium is a non AZA-accredited facility located in Jenks, Oklahoma, that opened in 2003. It is 72,000 sq. ft. in size and has one long, central hallway that has various galleries branching off from it. When one reaches Shark Adventure at the end then they must turn around and return to the Grand Hall entrance area. I won’t post a full review with lots of details but I will mention a few odds n’ ends about the establishment.

Overall I found the aquarium to be hit-and-miss; clearly in the top 50 facilities in the United States (there are 125 aquariums in total) but there was not enough there to keep me beyond an hour and a half. A 122 pound Alligator Snapping Turtle in a largish exhibit was terrific; Aquatic Oklahoma is arguably the best section with its Mississippi Paddlefish and various gars in cylindrical tanks. Shark Adventure has the typical walk-through tunnel format but seeing Bull Sharks was pretty cool; although, the tank is designed to be like the “open sea” but it just ends up appearing barren and incomplete. The Raccoon, North American River Otter and Beaver enclosures are all way too small, but the future Loggerhead Sea Turtle experience is a major addition and the aquarium will add a significant amount of space when it is complete next year. There are some nifty oddities and rare fish that aren’t often found in aquariums, along with some hugely popular touch tanks, and the facility is well worth seeing for all zoo enthusiasts.

Tiger Safari:

This zoo is located in Tuttle, Oklahoma, literally in the middle of the countryside. Mansions abound on both sides of a narrow, rural farm road and then…boom…there is a zoo. It is all rather extraordinary and Taylor and I were not amused to see some of the tiny cages in the massive, air-conditioned entrance room. However, once outside it became apparent that this privately run zoo would not take much more than an hour to see and there isn’t really a single exhibit that would be highly regarded by zoo nerds. There are 5 tiger exhibits (Amur, Bengal, “Golden” plus two enclosures for the rather common white tigers); other cats include these species: African Lion, Cougar, Jaguar, African Leopard, Caracal, Bobcat and Serval. Grizzly Bear and American Black Bear exhibits are spacious but are very poorly designed as they are essentially small fields with a single wooden platform in the middle. In fact, a lack of enrichment opportunities is a common theme at this zoo.

There are a couple of exhibits for Black-and-White Ruffed Lemurs plus 5 exhibits for Ring-Tailed Lemurs; a small set of enclosures for animals that can be petted (Rabbit, Ferret, Kinkajou); other mammals include: Coati, Raccoon, White-Handed Gibbon, Vervet Monkey, Capuchin Monkey and Colombian Black Spider Monkey. None of the enclosures are great but the gibbon exhibit is very long and it is perhaps the best of the bunch as it allows for a great deal of brachiation.

Arbuckle Wilderness Park:

Arbuckle Wilderness Park should be renamed Ramshackle Zoo as it is one of the all-time worst zoological facilities that I have ever had the displeasure to visit. It is located in Davis, Oklahoma, and judging from the steep drop in the range of species on display over the years it appears to be heading towards possible bankruptcy and oblivion. The establishment is primarily a drive-through safari park and I was just about the only visitor in the place. I actually thought that they were closed when I arrived as there was not a single car in the parking lot, and as it turns out the walking section was closed due to a flood, a small tornado and a “downsizing of the collection”. I was greeted by two apathetic workers behind the cash register and once I paid my outrageous fee of almost $20 I spent exactly one hour driving through the park and I never again saw another employee.

What I did see was a road that was so badly pockmarked with potholes, dents, loose curbs and other debris that it is a wonder that the zoo is even allowed to remain open. The horrendous condition of the road has been a gradual decline and bumping and crashing through the safari park was an arduous chore. A good chunk of the animals are ones that I had no interest in seeing: Donkeys (at least 40 of them), Emus (annoying as hell as at one time 8 surrounded the car pecking the windows), Dromedaries, Jacobs Sheep (in a separate enclosure), Domestic Goats, Llamas, Alpacas, Yaks, Domestic Horses, Texas Longhorn Cattle and Scottish Highland Cattle. I did see a few exotics, such as a solitary giraffe, one White Rhino, a couple of Przewalski’s Horses, Common Eland, Scimitar-Horned Oryx, Pere David’s Deer, Grant’s Zebra, Nilgai and American Bison. A single white tiger was in a chain-link yard but two other exhibits that were clearly for carnivores were both seemingly empty with zero legible signs in any direction. All of the signs are atrocious, there was hundreds of empty plastic cups (for feeding the animals) strewn in all directions, and the place is a dump that is waiting to be closed for good. I can’t imagine being paid enough money to ever make a return visit.

G W Exotic Animal Park:

G W Exotic Animal Park is a non-AZA accredited zoo located in Wynnewood, Oklahoma, and it was founded in 1997. Garold Schreibvogel was a young man who was killed by a drunk driver, and his parents founded the zoo (once known as a Memorial Foundation) in his honour. The zoo is situated on 54 acres and is somewhat infamous for numerous animal abuse charges and incidents.

I would recommend anyone who is interested in the owner of the park (“Joe Exotic”) to check out this wildly entertaining five minute video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFGzoT9L_k0

I’m not even sure what to make of this place. Walking around is kind of unnerving as there are growls and “chuffs” from all directions. The overwhelming shock of seeing so many big cats in one place wears off after quite some time, but this park has approximately 190 big cats and almost all of them are in fairly small, chain-link metal cages. Of that astounding total, probably 175 or so are tigers and the sheer volume of tigers is something that needs to be seen to be believed. A waiver form for liability reasons has to be signed before a visitor is allowed in the park and it is easy to see why when it would be simple to stick one’s hand into a tiger cage at any given moment. The standoff barrier is waist high in most places and there is only slightly more than a two foot gap between a visitor and a growling tiger. It is all rather remarkable and the scent of cats is in all directions.

I chatted with three different employees and there were certainly a lot of workers inside, although I suspect that for the hour and a half duration of my tour I was the only visitor in the establishment. How do these small zoos in the middle of nowhere survive? One guy told me that Wal-Mart is the only reason why the zoo stays in existence as 100% of the meat is supplied by that company and he said that it is a full-time job just walking around ensuring that the 190 big cats have all of their food. The facility does have a lot of people sponsoring a number of exhibits, and the zoo does a lot of good in rehoming bears, primates and big cats that have been pets or illegally kept in captivity by abusive owners.

Besides an endless stream of 175 tigers, there are other mammal species on display that include: Grizzly Bear, American Black Bear, African (Barbary) Lion, Cougar, Spotted Hyena, New Guinea Singing Dog, Coyote, Coati, Raccoon, Striped Skunk, Chimpanzee (two elderly retired apes), Mandrill, Hamadryas Baboon and Colombian Black Spider Monkey. A pitch dark Reptile House (woefully inadequate), several crocodilian pools and an endless array of chain-link yards makes up this zoo. However, there are a couple of very large, naturalistic tiger yards that stand out from the rest of the enclosures.

16. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does G W Exotic still actively try and breed ligers? And do they still have Michael Jackson's aligator?

I've seen this place in a documentary and the owner is, ahem, a little odd to say the least! Worryingly he appears to believe his own ramblings!

17. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This covers with my experiences, so I'm agree. Although I must say, that maybe it would/could be different, if I were black (sorry: Afro-American)...

18. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is worldclass and very funny. Thank you @Arizona Docent

19. ANyhuis

From watching the video of Joe Exotic, he seems to be the "Donald Trump of the zoo world".

20. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kind of frustrating that interesting hoofstock (P. Horses and PD Deer) are being reduced to private drive through safaris more and more. I am looking forward to your impression of Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch in San Antonio. I've been visiting that park (every half dozen years or so) since 1985. My visit last month left me rather impressed in its growth into a quality facility...geographic quibbles aside. I'm sorry if I missed it...but will you be visiting Fossil Rim? If your schedule allows I recommend some time on the back roads between Del Rio and San Antonio that crisscross between Interstate 10 and Highway 90. Again...love your road trip posts, keep up the good work.