Join our zoo community

Snowleopard's 2018 Road Trip

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 12 Jul 2018.

1. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm sure that you're well aware that there are more than one (famous) zoo(s) in both Germany and the Czech Republic...;)

jayjds2 and StoppableSan like this.
  2. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I imagine you'd revisit in 2019 or 2020, when Camp Cowabunga has established foliage and Topeka embarks on their elephant expansion. However, my imagination and your free will wouldn't and shouldn't coincide if my imagination goes against your free will. The observation in terms of the driving lengths is mind-boggling, and I think you have a hell of a lot of stamina to go out on these extensive and exhaustive trips for yourself.

snowleopard likes this.
  3. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

As a brief update to this particular detour on this thread: I did spend a day in Granada, did not visit the Alhambra, but spent some very happy (and awestruck) time admiring it from afar (from the Albaicín district of the city, which merits a day or two itself). I’m not a complete cultural pygmy!

But I liked the city so much that I also subsequently popped back to it to visit the Biodome, which is small but perfectly formed (well, nearly perfectly). So, great moorish architecture and a (sort of) zoo - a perfect combination! And @CGSwans can be spared that physical pain now!

CGSwans likes this.
  4. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

By far the most interesting nocturnal exhibit i’ve seen in Europe is the “Jungle at Night” dome at Papilliorama in Switzerland. It is a walk through rainforest under a domed glass (or other transparent material) roof that is covered by blue panels, creating a moonlight experience during the daytime. It features Central American animals like caiman, paca, porcupines, sloths, and many free-flying bats of several species. I’d guess it’s about 2/3 the footprint of Kingdoms of the Night, and nearly as effective.

5. Batto

Thanks @reduakari - I thought about mentioning the Swiss Nocturama when I wrote about the Belgian one, but assumed that I was the only one who liked it. Your description matches the impression it conveys.
    Papiliorama : Nocturama

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'll do a trip to Colorado and Nebraska in a few weeks and will be able to "judge" not only about the night exhibits at Frankfurt, Antwerp, Berlin, Stuttgart, New York, Philadelphia, Nocturama Kerzers but also about Omaha's Kingdom of the Night then (and the rest of this famous zoo of course;))

@Batto: Of course you're not;):) For anybody who likes the concept of night/nocturnal exhibits, Papiliorama & Nocturama Kerzers in Switzerland is a must. However, I'm not entirely happy with it, because the arguments from people calling for real sunlight even for typical nocturnal animals are not wrong, I must confess (And afaik I'm not the only one thinking that way;))

nczoofan and Batto like this.
  7. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For me its a moral issues, largely with birds and medium sized animals. But then again most nocturnal houses have smaller, more barren exhibits than normally lighted exhibits. They also always lack live plants and largely softer substrate. Everyone loves to look back on World of Darkeness as if it was an amazing exhibit for its animals, yet from my memory it had an amazing collection, yet most of the exhibits were far to small/sterile for the species they held. So I was not really upset at its closing, especially because the zoos other nocturnal displays are superior.

Also another issue I have with nocturnal houses is visitor behavior. Countless times I have seen visitors shine flashlights into exhibits and complain about visibility while banging the glass. This happens at many exhibits, yet for nocturnal species it is definitely more prevalent.

8. Batto

[​IMG]

zoomaniac and Coelacanth18 like this.
  9. Batto

I see your point, but we shouldn't forget that the majority of exotic fish, amphibians, reptiles and invertebrates in zoos in the Northern hemisphere usually have little to no excess to real sunlight, too...

10. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Goodness gracious me... How have I only just found this thread?! But wow - thank you, Snowleopard, for such a comprehensive overview of your 2018 tour. I must have spent the last 4+ hours reading this thread, looking through the various galleries, and also google maps.

I'm usually a lurker on this site, but coming out of the woodworks to leave a comment of thanks for this was more than necessary.

11. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks very much for the kind words and it is cool that you've only recently discovered my 2018 road trip thread. I've now posted long zoo reviews on threads in 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018. I haven't mentioned it on ZooChat in months, but I've got a fantastic trip planned for next summer when I'll tour the Netherlands, Belgium and parts of western Germany that will see me visit approximately 90 zoos in around 30 days. I have yet to book my flight and car rental but that will likely occur early in 2019.

TNT, Pleistohorse and dublinlion like this.
  12. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do you have any trips planned for further in the future? Other parts of Europe, for example?

13. snowleopard

One trip at a time...one trip at a time...

StoppableSan and birdsandbats like this.
  14. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I, too, have just discovered this thread, having been inspired by the nominations on the thread of the year suggestions. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and as a teacher myself, and very inspired for my summer breaks!

StoppableSan, Jambo and snowleopard like this.
  15. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I only just finally read through this thread, having noticed when it was first posted and then having made the decision to wait until the trip was fully written up to read through... and then promptly half-forgotten it had began in a busy time of year. I'm six months late to the party, but that didn't make it any less worth the read.

Your reviews are always masterfully crafted, but I think I've enjoyed this set most of any you've probably posted here, at least in my recollection, although I haven't read every trip thread given my inconsistent activity. You have the kind of background and expertise with zoos that is unmatched, but even your reviews of the poorest facilities come from a very sympathetic place, and your written voice still is humble about all of it, with a very helpful touch of humor. None of this means you skimp on giving fair assessments of the facilities or conveying relevant information such as species, both things any zoo nerd would want. Not to mention the additional road trip information, which weaves in well without ever feeling to infringe upon or outweigh the main 'narrative'.

The conversations with zoo owners are among the most interesting points of your reviews; not only are many of them colorful stories on their own, but they often add a little more dimension to the facilities and you can see how their intentions inform the character of the facility they run, which I think assists with evaluation. It certainly sounds strange to me that they often seem so curious to your opinion but rarely seem to value your criticism, but I suppose in some less pressing matters, I might be the same way. It's interesting how politics has intersected with your trip as well, but that's not a topic to draw out.

I'm in no place to get around much right now but your midwest trips have certainly inspired me to look more into my small zoo options in Wisconsin and Illinois; I had no clue about the rescue facility near Brookfield, which is certainly close enough to justify the trip at some point when I've previously been debating some further away locations. The promise of rare species in a roadside zoo like Special Memories is a more tricky and difficult one to confront; but I'm certainly looking forward to the ZooChat "kickstarter" to buy out Animal Haven Zoo.

(I can certainly understand your feelings about 'completing a set', for the record.)

snowleopard and TZDugong like this.
  16. Philipine eagle

Philipine eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Excellent 2019 plan :)

As far as it concerned Belgium, be aware of the fact that Antwerp Zoo's Jubileumcomplex will be closed due to major renovation. That include all carnivores (maybe 1 spectacled bear enclosure will remain visible), the upper part with the birds of prey aviaries and the sea lion theatre and, most regrettable, the excellent Nocturama.

I do not know of any other closure of major exhibits in any major zoo in the region you want to tour.

snowleopard likes this.
  17. snowleopard

Yikes...I wasn't aware of the major construction projects. I know of 3 people that did both Antwerp and Planckendael on the same day and now with all of those closures I'm wondering if that is once again a possibility. I'm definitely leaning towards doing the zoos separately but if I purchased a membership then I'd have from 9:00 a.m. (an hour earlier than the regular opening time) to at least 7:00 p.m. to visit both zoos and get from one to the other in the middle of the day (or maybe later than 7:00 p.m. if Antwerp allows some grace in terms of the closing time as some zoos let visitors wander around after the gates are locked). Looking at that 10 hour time slot, and considering the fact that Antwerp won't be at full strength, doing both on the same day could now make sense.

18. Luke da Zoo nerd

Luke da Zoo nerd Well-Known Member

If that were me experiencing this, I would have just left this place on the spot. Ugh.

19. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

Yikes is right. Has there been a decline in attendance due to this? That's all of most people's big-ticket animals right there. Wow.

20. Penshet

Penshet Well-Known Member

The mentioned exhibits have actually only closed in October or later so the impact this year was minimal, but the zoo has not published any attendance figures yet this year.

Some of the nocturnal species and the sea lions (in a terrible temporary enclosure) are still visible elsewhere in the zoo. The bird of prey aviaries were pretty ugly and I don't think they could have lost many visitors with their destruction. The worst loss is the nocturama really, with many cool species and great exhibitry.

snowleopard and AmbikaFan like this.