Join our zoo community

So How About the Weather....

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by JBZvolunteer, 28 Jan 2013.

1. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

Nanoboy has a love of weather and is constantly wanting to know what it is like where we live. So here ya go:

In Grand Rapids, MI we just finished a weeklong period of quite cold weather. Last week the daily temperature averaged around -14 degrees F/ -26 degrees C. In The Upper Peninsula though where my dad lives it averaged around -29 degrees F/ -34 degrees C.

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes but two or three weeks ago it was colder here in Tucson, Arizona than it was in the northeast United States. I cannot stand the cold and after this winter I really think I need to move to the equator. (For the record, by cold I mean anything below 80 degrees Farenheit. Really I am a complete wimp. The heat, however, I do not mind at all...)

3. JBZvolunteer

In Michigan We get both extremes, we'll have -15 in the winter and 108 in the summer.

4. DeydraOZ

DeydraOZ Well-Known Member

I think Montana is being weird... it's supposed to be pretty cold in the winter....But we've been having days where it has gotten to almost 50 degrees F. It actually snowed yesterday.

5. filipinos

filipinos Well-Known Member

It was really cold here today in the morning, 8ºC (46ºC). Almost 20ºC (68ºF) when the clock got to midday.
    In the last couple of months the temperatures have been around 5ºC (41º F) to 25ºC (77ºF).

That´s Portugal, the country/one of the countries with the best weather in the world.

6. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

We've just had a week of freezing temperatures and wind topped off with an unexpected snow storm continuing right now! Thankfully, it's suppose to be 44-50 degrees fahrenheit for the rest of the week.

~Thylo:cool:

7. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

70 degrees right now in Alabama

8. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting this thread. It will no doubt be one of my favourites.

How much snow is on the ground?

Australia is the size of the continental US so the weather and climate is variable. In the north east there is a flood crisis, and in the south east there is crippling drought and bush fires. The last few days and the next week have been and will be quite pleasant: mid to low twenties (and that's Celsius of course ;)). We have not had any substantial rain in about two months.

9. filipinos

filipinos Well-Known Member

I think there´s no snow in my city/area for 50 years or something like that.

10. JBZvolunteer

This has been the last 24 hours in Michigan:

Attached Files:

11. nanoboy

Looks like Melbourne weather without the snow. After two months with almost no rain (only about 4mm for January) we got 25mm last night. Yesterday was 29C and today should be the coldest January (it's summer here) day in 20 years, reaching only 17C.

12. JBZvolunteer

Yesterday we recieved approximately 1.5 inches/3.8 centimeters of rain and it was 58(F)/14.5(C) degrees outside. Right now with windchill it is 2(F)/-16.6(C) and we're suppose to get today 3-6 inches/7.6-14.2 centimeters of snow.

13. ThylacineAlive

Last night we had a very powerful wind storm (with some rain, thunder, and lightening) and many school district closed school or had delayed opening (most had 2 hour delays). Of course my school didn't although based on what I've heard from people about half the students all were woken up around 3am and were not able to fall back asleep for the rest of the night (this includes me). It seems tonight may be the same and there are predictions of snow for tomorrow and Sunday.

14. nanoboy

Is that weather typical for this time of year where you live?

Melbourne weather is notorious for throwing up four seasons in one day.

15. ThylacineAlive

I didn't think so but with all the hurricanes and freak thunder, wind, and snow storms we've had recently I'm not sure anymore!

The snow is normal for the Connecticut winter season but the wind storm was just a freak kind of thing.

16. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

yeah our weather is weird in Alabama. I live in northern Alabama so I live in the coldest part of the state. Its definitely subtropical but we still get cold but only have 1-2 snow incidents a year and a very long plus 60 (F) season. Our summers are more extreme than our winters.

17. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

One think I liked about Arizona weather was it was predictable. When I arrived in spring it was about 80 deg. It got warmer every day until it reached about 117, stayed there a few days and then started getting cooler each day.
    Minnesota winters were the also predictable, colder than I knew possible.

We have had a good dry summer here this year. As good as no rain and stable hot sunny weather, which our rice loves.

18. nanoboy

I see that there is a monster blizzard heading to New England. Who is in the firing line? Take and post pics please! :D (Oh, and be safe.)

19. JBZvolunteer

It already passed through Michigan yesterday and we got 8-10 inches of snow in 11 hours. I wouldn't call it a blizzard, but I would qualify it as a snowstorm though.

20. JBZvolunteer

Woops I just saw the actual snowfall count and it is 12.5 inches/31.75 centimeters.