Join our zoo community

So How About the Weather....

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by JBZvolunteer, 28 Jan 2013.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I pray, too.

Ah the Spring Peeper, a species always heard, never seen. Not by me anyway:p

Unless that's the species that's always in the frogs when it rains at night, though I've always presumed those to be Wood Frogs.

~Thylo:cool:

2. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I saw what may have been one once at one of our fine public recreation areas, did you know they dive down to the bottom of the vernal pool they are in and hide under the leaves there when they see you coming?

3. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

We don't have frogs to herald the arrival of spring here. Instead we look for prairie dogs, mountain bluebirds, and horned toads. I've seen the first two so far (as well as plenty of robins).

4. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Wyoming? Cool! My perception of Wyoming is that the entire state looks like Jackson Hole from an episode of Modern Family. Stunning!

5. elefante

The Modern Family episode in Jackson Hole shows the prettiest part of the state. That's also only a small area. I live a few hours from Jackson in high desert country. It's a rugged beauty there. Wyoming is the ninth largest state send has the smallest population with only about 500,000 people. Plenty of wildlife viewing all over. I have some pics on the United States Wildlife section in the gallery that were taken near Jackson if you want to look.

6. nanoboy

Awesome pics. Looks like a picturesque area you live in. I quite like the concept of snow capped mountains on the horizon.

7. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Last night in North Texas:

Thunder - check
    Lightning - check
    Hail - check
    Flooding - check
    Tornadoes - check
    Earthquake - check

8. nanoboy

Yeah we had a wet weekend, which, in Melbourne, means about 15mm of light rain. Wednesday is supposed to be 12C max and rainy, which means that the higher hills on the outskirts of Melbourne should get a dusting of snow.

9. nanoboy

Another strong cold front came through yesterday to mark the start of winter. Ski resorts picked up a good 20cm of snow, and the nearby hills got a dusting too. Canberra, Australia's capital, dropped to -7C last night! Brrrr.

10. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It was pretty cold here too, for June. It was windy as hell and the rain almost kept me awake last night!

But apparently we have worse to come with a lot if rain and wind...

11. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Well I have had a seriously hot week so far this week with temperatures approaching 30 degrees C.
    So yes, I did live in Saudi Arabia until a year ago when 30 degrees C was a cold day, but half of the classrooms in my school don't have air conditioning and end up being warmer than the temperature outside, and the basement is extremely hot compared every room in Saudi having multiple air conditioning units.

12. elefante

Those mountains are pretty. Soon I will be exchanging mountain scenery for prairies and badlands in North Dakota, close to the Canadian border.

13. nanoboy

Oh my that will be very cold indeed. I'm thinking Fargo here...

This Aussie winter is proving to be quite mild and dry. There has been no snow on the mountains for at least 2 weeks.

On a slightly related note, the Aurora Australis has been quite visible in Victoria and Tasmania this week, and it should fire up again tonight. I don't have a view of the southern horizon from my house though. :(
    Skywatchers on the lookout for Aurora Australis in Victoria

14. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

New Zealand is experiencing a very cold spell at the moment, in fact, two of the four lowest temperatures ever recorded in NZ happened this week (-21C, -19.8C). :cool:

Details here: Freezing night as temperatures drop again | Stuff.co.nz

Also, I strongly disagree with nanoboy about the Melbourne winter being mild, although its been dry, its been very cold! :eek:

15. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Late yesterday afternoon I was at work at the photo lab and walked out to the parking lot to see these crazy clouds. My manager looked it up and we found out they are mammatus clouds. I do not recall ever seeing this type before - very surreal when you see them in person.

Attached Files:

16. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Its humid in New England right now, less so than in the last couple of days but still the air is so thick I swear I could cut it with a knife.

17. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

It was super hot last week in quite a bit of Europe.
    There was a weather warning for a heatwave when I visited Leipzig Zoo and it got up to 35 C (96.8 F)!

18. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Right now Weather Underground shows the current temperature as 27.8 F. That is Farenheit, not Celcius (as in below freezing). I moved to the desert to be warm - this is crazy!

Attached Files:

19. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Because Texas...

Yesterday's weather "event."

Attached Files:

20. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

At the moment in the UK it is unseasonally mild, it was the winter solstice the other day, and in some parts of the UK it was warmer than the summer solstice!

In York at the moment there is some bad flooding (it has even been on national news!).
    [​IMG]
    (not my photo, from the independent)

Last edited: 27 Dec 2015