Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Social Distancing at Chester Zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SMR, 17 Jun 2020.

1. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

I visited Chester Zoo yesterday and thought I'd share some experiences for those thinking about pre-booking a ticket.

Arriving at 09:35, I found that the zoo plaza was full of people and there was a long queue of cars still waiting to come in. This area is a clear bottleneck, and there were many failing to observe any social distancing. Entry is easy; self-scan your pre-booked ticket and membership card (if applicable) at one of the usual stations. The zoo was already open, so I can only assume they'd opened early to alleviate the congregation of people. Perhaps an easy solution would be staggered entry times, akin to the system being used by the National Trust.

In terms of numbers and opening times, there's widespread confusion amongst the staff, even those on the gates. The zoo is supposed to be open 10am to 5pm (information now buried on the booking page) but many thought they were open later "something about evening visits", and as to numbers, the general consensus was that there were approximately 3,000 - 3,500 visitors, with an unknown percentage of members.

This feels like a lot of people, and at times it felt like too many people, especially in certain areas; Jaguar Coffee House, around the Aquarium, by the elephants and chimpanzees, in front of the penguins... The reason being is that everyone is on a lawn or path, there are no houses, play areas or indoor cafes open, and certain narrow paths are also closed.

I felt the zoo had worked hard to keep visitors apart. There are stickers on glass windows telling people not to touch them and others asking people to stand behind a line on the floor. One of the stickers has a crocodile on it, so I heard lots of people say "Ooo, crocodiles". Around exhibits such as the chimpanzees there are marks on the paths indicating a two metre distance, likewise in toilet and kiosk queues, and there are hand sanitising stations dotted around in obvious locations. There are also some new, makeshift shelters should it rain, but with social distancing observed they'll probably hold 35 visitors in total, not 3,500.

However, whether or not people choose to observe these guidelines is another matter. Two metres is more than you'd think, especially in a busy zoo. It equates to one person per window (there are five in total) in the sun bear exhibit, and that's never going to happen.

In an attempt to remind people, there are staff stationed at some of the busy points. A cheerful lady who told me she doesn't usually work outside the office was trying to look busy but was largely ineffectual by the chimpanzees, while a young lady standing by the spectacled bears politely asked children not to climb on the small bear cub statue, but only after each group had already done so. Very few contact points had been overlooked - the green chair in the location of the old floral clock had a stream of children and adults climbing all over it - but I did report them to a few members of staff (the locations, not the people).

It's noticeable that the "old zoo", with its wide paths and varied viewing opportunities is much better suited than the new exhibits when it comes to maintaining a distance. Later in the day Islands is just about manageable (and strictly one-way) but I didn't fancy the new lion exhibit at all and gave it a wide berth.

If I was asked for my advice, based on my experience yesterday, I'd suggest that if you're at risk or have been strictly social distancing, the zoo is not the place to be during most of the day. It "feels" really busy, and while the zoo teams have done a huge amount of work to ensure people stay safe, that doesn't mean all visitors are going to observe social distancing - which let's face it, has also been the case everywhere else.

However if you're a member or don't mind only having three hours inside the zoo, I would suggest an afternoon visit. Most people seemed to arrive around 10am, and without any play areas or indoor exhibits had seen enough by 3pm, when the zoo suddenly emptied. From that point onward, it was a far more enjoyable visit.

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Jun 2020
  2. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Exactly what I thought would happen, just like supermarkets. Unless you strictly enforce it people will ignore it.

I would love a stroll around the zoo but I shall leave it for a while, me going as a member is not going to help them at this time.

3. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Or verbally abuse you if you try to!

4. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Oh I go with the passive aggressive muttering under a my breath...:D

jde7582 likes this.
  5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So with ROTRA closed, the Orangutans are pretty much offshow unless you can see any across that end outdoor enclosure?

6. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Correct, unless they're outdoors by the waterfall (between RotRA and the aquarium).

Pertinax likes this.
  7. SmoothPanther

SmoothPanther New Member

I have watched zoochat for while to find out the latest and best places to visit when visiting zoos. I have more time on my hands at the moment due to furlough so here's my first post.

This thread caught my eye as my good friend works at Chester and has done years (they told me not say where as their boss reads this forum and it might not go down well) and has said the public do seem quite relaxed about social distancing and only some staff tell the public to spread out. They said the afternoons are easier to get around, but it has been very rainy this week so no surprise really.

I'll be sticking to my own vehicle at Knowsley for now until things return to normal.

Sand Cat likes this.
  8. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I haven't watched this, but it looks like it might give an insight into what things are like at Chester at the moment - or at least at the point at which these people visited.

9. zoomart

zoomart Member

I'll definitely check this out later. I've watched a few of their videos before and they have often give quite a good perspective. Thanks for sharing.

10. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The social distancing looks pretty ok on there.

Andrew Swales likes this.
  11. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Take a look around 27:00 and 27:45. ven the hosts are noticing lack of distancing markers. Not encouraging

12. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

So far as I understand it, Chester Zoo's measures were developed with the help of their Local Authority which wrote to National Government in support of the zoo and its measures. This (in part) started the ball rolling which ended in the U-turn allowing zoos to re-open on 15th June.
    The involvement and approval by Government can infer that the Chester measures can be taken as the approved Government standard.

Similarly, other large zoos (including some which have been crticised) will also have had Government involvement in, and approval of, their pre-opening measures.

Other zoos which have had no support from Local Government, have had to work it all out for themselves, from whatever advice has been available to them...

Unlike Australia, for example, there has been NO guidance from Government.

13. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

pipaluk likes this.
  14. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Distance markers work well in queues. Less so where people move in varying ways. Like at a zoo.

People should just keep around 2m apart (just imagine a tall guy who lies down next to you.

Andrew Swales likes this.
  15. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Some recent updates following a visit this week.

Visitor numbers have definitely increased, but to what level is unclear. Staff have access to a system that shows them how many people are in the zoo, but all access to it has been revoked and now only senior management know for certain (nobody else appears to). There are areas that even on a rainy day are really busy indeed. I'm generally clueless with Facebook, but have been told there have been a fair number of negative comments about this so the zoo disabled visitor feedback entirely.

The Elephant bridge is split so that people walking towards East Zoo are directed to the left, but despite signs visitors don't seem to understand this basic instruction, so staff members and volunteers are stationed along its length. At 2pm, when a large second influx of visitors arrive, the bridge becomes one-way, with only people walking to West Zoo allowed. This alone gives an idea of just how many people are visiting.

As @Mattaki mentioned in the news thread, there are long queues to get into Spirit of the Jaguar, the Monkey House and especially Realm of the Red Ape, even on the rainy day I visited. People in the queues aren't really bothered about any social distancing (nor were the staff I saw) so the advice would be to run to the houses as soon as the zoo opens, or wait until the crowds thin out after 5pm. The misting devices in RotRA are sensibly turned off, so that's not something to worry about.

16. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Queuing for any of these houses at Chester is certainly something I've never experienced and must reflect the currection restrictions and precautions, plus the increased footfall presumably. I would not want to visit under this regime but then I'm probably not a typical zoo visitor.

17. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for this very honest report. That's quite troubling, to be honest. I did think Chester seemed to be handling things really well but like most places, they seem to be in a rush to move forwards and its compromising safety. Things like this have probably put paid to any prospects of me getting any zoo visits this year sadly - I just don't feel safe or comfortable with this at all.

Pertinax likes this.
  18. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Nope the busy summer months often sees queues getting into some houses.

Pertinax likes this.
  19. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Its not all Chester's fault, its probably a mixture of three factors.
    1. The government not setting any rules on re-opening regarding numbers allowed.
    2. Chester zoo for allowing the numbers, although I suspect many places will want to try and get as much money in as they can right now, so not sure I can criticise them much, plus being a big visitor attraction means they were always going to get people going.
    3. The general public are generally ignoring social distancing but then if you look at the governments briefing today they where pushing people to go out and about and spend money.
    This will be an issue every where I suspect, and if its not you are very lucky.

20. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I think the issue on capacity of numbers allowed is an unknow as I have no idea what the zoos capacity’s actually are and the zoo aren’t likely to publicises it either as like you say it’s time to get as many in as possible in these uncertain times. I would say I’ve not heard of a full zoo before where people have been turned away because it’s full to capacity, even when twycross is running one of there free to enter days they are still pulling them in mid afternoon. Twycross have said though, they are trying to achieve one third capacity but haven’t put a number on this