Join our zoo community

Songs with / about animals

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by vogelcommando, 15 Dec 2014.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Songs normaly are about love and that kind of stuff but also quite a number of songs have animals in their title, mentioned in the song or the singer / band is called after an animal.
    I came to this because I heared the song "Rudolph the red-nosed Reindeer" in the radio ( strange, but this is played only in December ??;) ) and started to think which other songs are "connected" with animals.
    For bands I came up with the Eagles and examples of titlles I came up with ( for example ) the Eye of the tiger, the Elephant-song and The lion sleeps tonight.
    A song in which animals are mentioned is for example Roar.
    Any other songs, titles or singers / groups with animals ?

2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

"I am the Walrus" -The Beatles

TheGerenuk likes this.
  3. vogelcommando

Have to google that one, never heared of it ! ( BTW the Beatles are ofcourse also an "animal-group"! )

4. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Groups/singers include: Camel, Goriillaz and Terry Dactyl and the Dinosaurs, Steppenwolf, Boomtown Rats, Seal
    Songs/Tunes include: 'Albatross (Fleetwood Mac); Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport (Rolf Harris); Boris the Spider (Who); Nellie the Elephant (Mandy Miller); Rat Trap (Boomtown Rats); Caterpillar (Cure); Five Little Ducks; The Ugly Duckling; The Lion, The Lion; I'm A Gnu & The Hippopotamus Song (Flanders & Swann); Eric the Half a Bee (Monty Python); The Bee Song (Arthur Askey); A Frog he would a'wooing go; The Butterfly Ball; Run Rabbit; Fly Like an Eagle (Steve Miller Band), The Fly (U2)
    Albums include: Rattus Norvegicus (Stranglers), Snow Goose (Camel), Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (David Bowie)

There must be many more, but I haven't used the internet to find any yeat

5. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

when I was a child in the 1960's we used to sing 'we're all going to the zoo tomorrow', I'm not sure if it was a real song or not, as we also sang one about Tarzan climbing a monkey puzzle tree, which we found out years later my father had made up, and I mean later 30+ years later.

6. AverageWalrus

AverageWalrus Well-Known Member

I can think of Anaconda

7. vogelcommando

I myself had some new ones coming up my mind :
    See you later Alligator
    There's a rat in the kitchen

8. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This subject can be endless.
    There is already a thread on zoochat about music that mention zoos with Simon and Garfunkel ¨s classic "At the zoo" coming to mind.
    Now animals can be symbols for other things in many songs.
    Take Monkeys. "Shock the monkey" by Peter Gabriel and "Eveyone has something to hide Except me and my monkey" by Lennon and Mccartney come to mind. But are they talking about primates? Peter Gabriel maybe, but the beatle song does not fit. But then remember that monkey was a counterculture slang term for an addiction. But many possiblities are open.
    From latin america many songs come to mind, but the all time classic is the lovely andean huayno " El Condor Pasa" by Los Incas to which Paul Simon put english lyrics.

9. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Ha ha, We're all going the zoo tomorrow was a real song for us too when children on zoo trips in the 70's. "See the elephant with his big trunk swinging" ..we're all going to the zoo tomorrow, zoo tomorrow we can stay all day!! you could go on forever about that song just mentioning a different animal between the chorus. I remember crocodiles had a big mouth snapping, chimps were scratch scatch scratching.

Imagine some of the Zoo Chatters lyrics to this song... See the Panthera tigris altaica - most commonly referred to as the Amur or Siberian tiger which is the largest living sub species of Panthera... with its big teeth yawning....

:D

10. Dassie rat

Groups: Animals, Byrds, Monkees
    Songs/Music: 'Octopussy's Garden (Beatles) , Alexander Beetle, Ben (Michael Jackson's song about a rat), most tracks from Carnival of the Animals by Saint-Saens

11. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Beast of Pirate's Bay, by Voltaire! I love that song. <3

12. Dassie rat

'Rock Lobster' by the B52s has a long list of animals including narwhal, stingray and manta ray'

13. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As a jazz fan, I'd like to add a few little numbers.
    Sleepy John Estes's 'Diving Duck Blues' which is in Taj Mahal's repertoire; I love the live version by his band with 3 tuba players :D
    A classic instrumental is Duke Ellington's 'Cottontail' from the Blanton-Webster period of the Orchestra. Ben Webster played the tenor solo.
    One of the oldest of all jazz numbers is 'Tiger Rag' first recorded in 1917 by the Original Dixieland Jazz Band: but I strongly recommend Art Tatum's version from 1933, which scared piano players around the world ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib_3iZHIaqA

I have assembled a pretty good band to play these tunes. The sax section will be exceptional, obviously Bird will be on alto together with Mr Rabbit (Johnny Hodges) plus Gato Barbieri and The Frog (the aforementioned Ben Webster) on tenors. In the brass will be Cat Anderson on trumpet and Miff Mole on trombone. I'd like Dodo Marmorosa on piano (if he's disqualified by extinction, it will have to be Jay McShann instead as I think Willie the Lion Smith was really a solo player). Donald Duck Dunn and Chick Webb will play bass and drums :)

Alan

Last edited: 19 Dec 2014
  14. vogelcommando

Found again some songs and a group with animals in it :
    Sex with ducks - Garfunkel and Oates
    Alien Ant Farm ( a group )
    Butterfly - Crazy Town
    Horse with no name - America

15. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some personal favourites of mine include:

- Hyena, Bird of Prey and Two-Hearted Spider - all by The Editors
    - Moth's Wings - by Passion Pit

And I guess it would be cheating to include the two volumes of Imagine Africa by Sean Frew, which are essentially a series of instrumental themes for many different African animals, such as Rhino Theme, Buffalo Theme, Leopard Theme, Wild Dog, Hippo Theme, Giraffe Theme, Wildebeest Theme and Antelope Theme, among many others

16. vogelcommando

17. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

18. Merintia

Merintia Well-Known Member 5+ year member

19. Cassidy Casuar

Cassidy Casuar Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Does "Beasts of England" count?

20. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

"Down Here Below" by Steve Earle references a famous Red-Tailed Hawk in New York City called Pale Male.