Join our zoo community

South Lakes Wild Animal Park South Lakes discussion thread

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 10 Jan 2015.

1. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

When is a donation NOT a donation? ;)

Always seemed a stupid idea to me. It used to be " free " , but with a minimum £1 donation. So it was actually NEVER FREE. Now it says on the website that its "entry by donation,minimum donation per person applies." We now its minimum of £5 per adult,so why doesn't it just say that. Who's going to complain at paying a fiver for anything? Oh yeah,the people who thought it was free.;)

Just read the new Google review. Yikes.:eek:

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As was said last year, you can't impose a minimum donation, it is an admission fee and South Lakes should advertise it as such.

3. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Could be if the money is received as a donation they do not have to pay VAT on it as they would on an admission fee ?

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Actually, until halfway through winter 2013/2014 it WAS free entry, with donations welcomed, during the winter period......

5. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

But in one of his Facebook posts he said that it was a minimum £1 per adult "donation". I haven't been blacklisted so I can see all his "safari zoo's" facebook posts.

Just leaves a bit of a bitter taste really.

A bit like the "Voluntary donation" that places like Whipsnade and Chester and on,hoping that you don't have the "balls" to say NO, actually I don't want to "donate" an extra 10% on top of your admission charge. They looked at me gone out the one time I went to Whipsnade and I asked to not pay the extra,pointed out that they had already ripped me off extra for car-parking when I had no choice but to park in their parking places.(Glad that has now ceased as I may be attending again next week end.)

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

He may well have deleted all the posts making mention of when it was truly free then :p presumably in the hope people would forget this had been the case...

7. taun

taun Well-Known Member

The one incident comes to mind when the male Andean Bear was walking straight towards me and a keeper maybe 2 metres away communicated over the radio "It keeps cutting out." Lets just say I left quickly (from the area).

Talking 8 years ago now so obviously everything must be fine but you never want problems with the main barrier between you and a potentially dangerous animal.

The other things are just my own opinions on how they house of certain species (which is better now).

8. bigcat speciali

bigcat speciali Well-Known Member

Correct. Money by donation is treated as such as the same way as charity, which makes it free from certain HM Customs & Revenue.

As bongorob mentioned;
    Legally SLWAP or whatever they call themselves now, are committing a breach of numerous laws, from Charity Act to Zoo Licence, from VAT to Advertising reg's. Once again, Dave Gill is playing the fool and is playing games with everyone. Confusion and misinterpretation of rules, laws and regulations is a muppets game.

South Lakes Safari Zoo Reviews - Dalton-in-Furness, Cumbria Attractions - TripAdvisor

South Lakes Wild Animal Park voucher codes, Discount codes & Deals - Money Saving Expert

9. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Technically you can't "donate" to companies, only charities.

I'm fairly sure a receipt received "for entry by" a company would be classed as income (whatever it's called) and subject to VAT and corporation tax on inspection by HMRC (if they inspected which is a whole other, drier, discussion).

However I believe there is a company which owns/runs South Lakes and a separate charity or foundation to which the company donates money. If the donation's classed as a receipt by the charity it would be free of taxes (though a trick with gift aid would probably have been missed). Furthermore the receipt by the charity might enable the company to donate less -therefore the charity gets the full amount of the donation rather than a net amount donated by the company after it has accounted for VAT on the receipt. Both company (retaining more money) and charity (higher donation) benefit -very clever if that's been done.

10. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Or, to put it another way, you could end up being charged just about anything since we change the policy on a whim.

:)

11. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I rather wondered if there was some clever wheeze by which a financial benefit could be obtained, but wouldn't want anyone thinking I was picking on Mr Gill. :)

12. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What's derogatory about accusing an organisation of organising their affairs in the most financially efficient matter (if that's been done) -don't we want all our zoos to have more funds to survive/thrive and give to conservation?

Why do you think so many struggling zoos have become charities -no VAT, possible legacy donations and "complain if you dare" gift aid uplift (re the donation itself and associated tax rebate) on entries, none of which prevent people from taking high salaries*.

*I'm not accusing anyone, anywhere of taking inappropriate high salaries, merely pointing out it's possible meaning that changing an ailing zoo into a charity is a way of ensuring both the organisation's longevity and maintaining continuity of personal earnings which might not be possible by remaining a company.

Last edited: 21 Jan 2015
  13. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

For those who enjoy this sort of thing:
    "If I could give less than one star I would. We have visited South lakes Zoo for three years (since my daughter was born) twice a year - once in the summer and once at Christmas, however after this Christmas visit I would NEVER step foot in that place again. Firstly, the had admitted so many people that we had to park off sit on a grotty field, not fit for purpose, covered in animal droppings (it looked like rabbit and maybe feral cat, potentially some livestock which had gotten in at some point) and then walk across a fast road and up a steep inkling, where trees had overgrown into the walk area so it was difficult to walk with traffic there, and near impossible with a pram (some zoo goers who were at the park were disables, I have to think how they would have managed in a wheelchair). Then, in the pursuit of the ever loved pound, they had admitted so many people that the quality of what they were offering was ZERO. We were barely able to move anywhere, every building was jam packed (clearly, in my opinion as a former fire-marshal within the hotel trade, against the fire regulations for such buildings, and clearly making exit during an emergency impossible). Thirdly, 'some' of the staff (only some as to say all wouldn't be fair because 1 - some were pleasant, and 2 - we saw so little that it may not have been a valid cross-section) were APPAULING. While crammed into a dangerously overcrowded café, with our eldest daughter upset, and our baby daughter distraught because she was hungry (we needed to get through before we could sit down and feed her) we were told that there was no room and to go somewhere else (in the hail and cold) we mentioned that we had this place and it was full also, at which it was suggested that we would have to feed our three month old outside, in the rain if there was no space - DISGUSTING. In the end I had to stand within a crown of people and feed her stood up and this suggestion was idiotic to say the least. Even though we had a time booked to see Santa, we were made to wait an extra 15 mins, so that additional 'non-planned/booked' journeys could run (which are paid for additionally by zoo goers) again, in the rain. The train driver was rude about this, rude about us boarding the train and generally discourteous to our entire party. When we did see Santa, there was so little room that it was dangerous, we nearly fell onto the tracks/train , he called our daughter by the wrong name, despite being corrected, more than five times, and didn't even giver a gift to our baby daughter - we had to remind him of this. In the end we left, less than an hour after we arrived. The gifts by the wasy were poor quality and, unlike previous years, were generic and just stuffed in cheap carry/swimming bag with the logo on it - neither age specific/apt or wrapped with names on. We drove two hours to get there and paid for the Santa Train experience, and it was a shambles. Add to that the Christmas letters we ordered for our girls which has SPELLING ERRORS and errors regarding NAMES and essentially the total amount we spent for everything (including travel) went beyond £80. A disgusting waste and a prime example of a place ALL ABOUT MONEY and lacking quality and decency. Would have put this on their website too, however it currently doesn't seem to exist!"

14. bigcat speciali

You can indeed donate to a private company, the private company can hold those donations ad then claim tax relief on it. I help my father with his own accounts as he has his own business, he has my mother and myself as share holders and as such monies can be donated into accounts where you can claim tax relief. Its a well known tax dodge. My father shows to HMRC what is donated and to whom or where, after this tax relief is given.

Receipt received "for entry" is classed within the law of Tort, as an invitation to treat.

Value Added Tax (VAT)
    Donations
    Donations, bequests or other voluntary contributions from the public are outside the scope of VAT, provided the donors receive no direct benefit in return.

"Charges for admission to fund-raising events which are not eligible for VAT exemption arranged by supporters of an appeal are liable to VAT if they are the proceeds of a taxable business activity which exceeds the VAT registration threshold. But voluntary donations made on top of a basic minimum charge for a fund-raising event will be outside the scope of VAT if all the following conditions are met (the minimum basic charge remains subject to VAT):

it is clearly stated on all publicity material including tickets that anyone paying only the minimum charge will be admitted without further payment;
    the additional payment does not secure any particular benefit (for example admission to a better position in the stadium or auditorium);
    the extent of further contributions is ultimately left to ticket holders to decide, even if the organiser indicates a desired level of donation;"

[ARCHIVED CONTENT] HM Revenue & Customs: Guidelines on the tax treatment of appeal funds

[ARCHIVED CONTENT] HM Revenue & Customs: Special rules for certain types of donations

https://www.gov.uk/tax-limited-company-gives-to-charity/sponsoring-a-charity

Self-assessment: what you can and cannot claim for | Money | The Guardian

15. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ha ha, what a load of whiny skinflints, if a measly fiver is too much to pay then just stay at home and play on the computer. Reading this stuff is gas and its easy to see why most UK zoos are falling behind the rest and are on the verge of collapsing (like Glasgow).

16. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

£5 is clearly a relatively small amount of money; I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise. Rather, it is the strange way in which something is said to be free, and then complaints are made when people object to being charged, that grates.

Very odd comment about UK zoos "falling behind", with a nice topical reference to Glasgow Zoo, which closed well over a decade ago....

17. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Its all nitpicking complaining for its own sake. 'The zoo needs money in order to feed and keep its animals healthy'

The reference to Glasgow is a reminder as to how a half-decent Zoo can collapse when the tide turns against it. (the mob go into feeding frenzy mode, each trying to outdo each other with the criticism and smears, and eventually the one time supporters are afraid to raise their heads above the parapet and instead join the knocking mob)
    It is my view that most UK zoos are looking a bit jaded compared to the best in Europe.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2015
  18. swampy1967

swampy1967 Active Member

Would it not just be easier to just say "As its winter the entrance fee is ....... So much per person, thank you for your support" than go through this every year? Or could I be a cynic and suggest that would not generate the publicity or get some thinking billy big balls is such a hero........ We went in the winter once, when it was free, thought we'd give a few quid for a donation, got asked by the miserable sod on the gate why we wanted to do that for when it was free anyhow........ Really can't do with the soap opera generated every so often and have lost interest in the place...

19. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

20. bigcat speciali

"Exciting times ahead.... lots of new animal arrivals in the next few months and despite the hype of the media and very sad negative local politics this zoo is concentrating on providing a conservation centre that contributes a huge impact on wildlife protection and habitats around the globe and providing the visitors with a unique and special experience like no other."

Err, cough, cough. "despite the hype of the media and very sad negative local politics..." Sorry Dave, but you bring on your own troubles, so please stop blaming others for your own mess and stop give childish excuses.

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/dalto...-sincerely-after-facebook-comments-1.1058210#

"So many questions today....
    To answer many... the new SAFARI ZOO site will be open to the public in late June if we get enthusiastic assistance and help from Barrow Borough Council members and officers in the next weeks ahead. The project is almost a year behind schedule and all we need to do now is alter the Highway to create the new entrance thus placing the health and safety of our visitors as the first and most important priority, so cars avoid the busy narrow pedestrian used streets of Dalton and park visitors safely on a safe car park . We are confident that Barrow Borough Council will want the safest possible option available for our visitors as quickly as possible to minimise any risk to public safety and pass the new entrance next month. We wish to work with the local authority to build a better Barrow and look forward to the next 21 years improving the area. Until June we shall be open everyday from 10am until 6pm at the existing entrance and car parks."

Mmmm. "if we get enthusiastic assistance and help from Barrow Borough Council members and officers in the next weeks ahead..." A different slant on how Dave Gill has in the past gone in gun blazing against the council. Mind you, it is a pathetically dank response especially using the "safety" word, something that Dave Gill and South Lakes are no good at and have previous form for breaching such safety.