Join our zoo community

South Lakes Wild Animal Park South Lakes Safari Zoo 2020 news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 26 Jan 2020.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A small group of us took advantage of this weekend's offer (free entry in return for a donation to the Australian Bushfire appeal) to pay an overdue visit to South Lakes (now known as Safari Zoo) today. None of us had visited since late 2016 (when the zoo was looking very sorry for itself and was under serious threat of closure). The new management then took over in Spring 2017 and I'm pleased to report have made some much needed changes and improvements. I will list a few of these below:

The indoor Lemur house has been significantly refurbished with new cladding on the walls and improvements to the heating that make it much warmer than it used to be. This is still a work in progress with one indoor area currently being worked on and another yet to be started but it looks a lot better than I remembered it

The raised walkways have been completely removed. This has opened up the path below (Giant Otters, Tiger, Tamarins etc) and it looks a lot less cluttered than it did before.

Several species have left the collection over the last few years and numbers of others (eg: Lemurs and Rhino) have been reduced. Off the top of my head species that have gone include Pygmy Hippo, Rodrigues Fruit Bat's, Tufted Capuchins, Fennec Fox, Yellow Mongoose, Swamp Wallaby, and Bennetts Wallaby. Unlike a lot of collections the significant reduction in the number of animals and species kept has improved the collection. Many animals now have far better enclosures than they previously had. For example the Giant Anteater (previously kept in one of the big cat houses) now has a new and suitable enclosure in the former Pygmy Hippo exhibit. The Two Toed Sloth and some Sulcatta Tortoises have also moved into the same building (the Sloth has outdoor access). The infamous Tapir and Spectacled Bear mix is also no more. With the Bears now in a new exhibit near the entrance and the Tapirs remaining in half of the original exhibit. The Maned Wolves have the other half of this enclosure

A new Meerkat enclosure is also being built inside the current Giraffe/Zebra/Rhino House. This is expected to be open by February half term

The original Giraffe paddock is also undergoing significant refurbishment at the moment. The fencing around it is being completely replaced, the terrain levelled and drainage improved. A new shelter and raised walkway are also being constructed. Once ready the two young male Kordofan Giraffe's (currently housed in the old Giraffe House) will have access to it. The female group will remain in the current Africa House

The whole site looks generally tidier and significantly better maintained than it did on our last visit. Unlike last time we didn't see any obvious health and safety or animal welfare issues. All the animals were in clean, suitable enclosures with access to food and water. I can't say this was the case on our previous visit

A new guidebook is also onsale as of this month. It has a Jaguar cover and features a separate pull out guide just for the birds. It is priced at £3.50 per copy

Overall I think we were all pleasantly surprised at the changes and the progress made by the staff and new management over the last few years. The animals have obviously benefited from the improvements which is the most important thing. It still isn't perfect and has other improvements still to make but the zoo is certainly in far better shape than it was a few years ago. I would suggest that it's now worth a visit to see the improvements for yourself if you are in the area or looking for a Northern zoo day out (we also visited the Lakes Aquarium which is about 20 mins drive away).

Edit: I forgot to mention that the zoo was also signed off by Barrow Council earlier this month. All the conditions imposed by the council when the new management were given a licence have now been met. The council currently has no further concerns about the zoo at this time
    South Lakes zoo inspection commends progress

Zorro, JamesB, lintworm and 8 others like this.
  2. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was wondering if they still had any Bears at South Lakes considering one death last year of Snoopy (I believe). And what happened to the Pygmy hippos, does anyone know if they've passed on or have they just gone to another zoo elsewhere like Bristol or London?

3. Nisha

They still had two Bears today (I think they were both female). The Pygmy Hippo's were moved on. The female is now at Pairi Daiza and the male at Dvur Kralove

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Still have two females left at present. The pygmy hippo left for somewhere in Europe, but don't worry its not the same place as kadi the tiger cub disappeared to this time it exists.

TeaLovingDave and Brum like this.
  5. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Don't forget the mysterious mandrill move to "somewhere in Eastern Europe".

Sounds like it's slowly coming together (again), one day I could possibly find myself hoping to visit if in the area...

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

'Far into Europe' I think was the exact expression. :rolleyes: Remember the days when critisism of South Lakes dominated the UK zoochat pages? That seems a lifetime ago. I am pleased that things have obviously improved so much though.

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Spectacled Bears. They originally had 1.3. One female was finally sent elsewhere, and the male later died so that would leave 0.2. I wonder if they intend to get a new male perhaps.

8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

To be fair that wasn't a lie per se :p as six feet downwards into Cumbrian soil counts as "far into Europe".

Pootle and Pertinax like this.
  9. zoogiraffe

Six feet down would be a very long way for someone to dig in that soil even with a jcb.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. PAP

PAP Member

There is no new management as you mention. The current situation of the management is the same as it was when David Gill now known as David Rivera was still there, give or take a couple who have left, the only change has been in company name and change of rental of the land. Although the safari zoo is leased, the lease being from David Gill and his now in administration company South Lakes Zoo Ltd. Currently the Administrator for David Gill has said within the previous and current accounts held is that the zoo will be pit up.for sale to clear the debts owed by David Gill although there is a legal obligation under rhe current lease.

The zoo inspection that has just passed does include a number of direction orders, but this is normal for most zoos. You can find this by seeking a FOI request.

11. John2584

John2584 Active Member

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The issue is that DG is no longer on site physically and although his company technically still may own land or zoo structures it is a defunct operation. This in contrast to an operational team on the ground managing the place. I doubt any sane community, no Municipality nor zoo inspection team or EAZA would accept the dark lord "Drol" to retake assets or allow his crap to come back in.

13. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo is now home to 4.0 Canada Lynx, from Hamerton I'd presume.

giant_anteater likes this.
  14. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Any idea were they are likely to be?

15. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

16. JoeDK14

I meant where within the Zoo

littleRedPanda likes this.
  17. zoogiraffe

The old Sri lankan leopard enclosure.

18. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Last edited: 30 Jun 2020
    Jungle Man likes this.
  19. Nisha

Scooter, a 9 year old male Lion arrived from Knowsley on Monday 13th July. He will be a companion to the female (Chevelle) who has been alone since last year.

The Red Panda have also recently had twins again

Embu, Max Blundell, JoeDK14 and 4 others like this.
  20. JoeDK14

Brilliant news as it means he won’t be on his own after the departure of his females from Knowsley.