Join our zoo community

South Lakes Wild Animal Park South Lakes Safari Zoo News 2021

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Embu, 2 Feb 2021.

1. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've just watched the live feed from earlier regarding the giraffes, there was no mention of Beau, does anyone know when he moved or died? He was born at Belfast in 2006 i think, just wondered if anyone had any information

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

1.0 Maned Wolf, Chewie, has arrived from Sandwich Wildlife Park to partner with resident female, Danna:

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Helens

Helens Active Member

Hello, first time poster long time reader.
    There's a post on their Facebook page that's concerning. I don't know if I am reading too much into it but does it seem like they're accusing a director of Yorkshire wildlife park of wanting to take over the zoo?
    I thought you guys would be best to ask about this place. Am I right in thinking Gill owns the land but not the zoo? Who runs the place etc at the moment? This place confused me so much.

5. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes I saw the post too and found it very troubling, especially that the guy from Yorkshire Wildlife Park appears to have involvement with David Gill if I'm reading it correctly? This is a worry!

6. Helens

Helens Active Member

Yes that's the impression I got too, very worrying.

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Gill is one of several part-owners (including the co-founder of YWP and the current non-executive chairman of the organisation which now runs YWP) of the company that owns the lease of the land which South Lakes is built on, but does not own the zoo itself; this is in the - very capable, from all I have heard and know of those involved - hands of a team of zoo professionals under the name Cumbria Zoo Company who took over in spring 2017, and under whose management the zoo has come along by leaps and bounds in recent years.

Incidentally, welcome to the site - it's nice to have a fellow Darlingtonian join us!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What confuses me a bit is that the current management wanted to buy that lease(?) quite recently but announced rather mysteriously that they had unfortunately been outbid by 'another zoological organisation' (or similar phrase) So the lease must have run out recently for that situation to arise?

9. Weare2

Weare2 Well-Known Member

It appears that Yorkshire wildlife group who owns the lease have made David Gill their official agent. The group have now enforced that David Gill will be inspecting the land tomorrow at the zoo!

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  10. Helens

Helens Active Member

That's fab thanks for the info and hello fellow Darlingtonian!!

I don't know why their posts keep saying about the link Minion has to Yorkshire wildlife park when from what I gather he has no involvement anymore.
    "YORKSHIRE WILDLIFE PARK LIMITED - Officers (free information from Companies House)" YORKSHIRE WILDLIFE PARK LIMITED - Officers (free information from Companies House)

11. Weare2

Weare2 Well-Known Member

He was the founding member but an investor of zoo investment company (who have appointed David Gill) - Chris Webster is a current chairman of YWP also.

12. Helens

Helens Active Member

Thanks! Worrying indeed.

13. catfan

catfan Well-Known Member

Just seen their latest facebook post :eek:

safzoo.jpg

felis silvestris likes this.
  14. Helens

Helens Active Member

I'm so worried. I love Yorkshire wildlife park, but I don't want to support them if they're now partners with David Gill. I remember the conditions the animals were in when South Lakes was under his care, I've not been back since though.
    Does anyone know how much the people South lakes keep mentioning are actually involved with Yorkshire wildlife park? I'm hoping this is all exaggerated by South Lakes.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  15. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I'm very concerned that they are throwing YWP's name in this when I think strictly-speaking it's a person or people with involvement in both, not the YWP organisation itself being involved. It's not going to help CZCL's case if they are trying to bring another organisation into disrepute unfairly.

TNT and littleRedPanda like this.
  16. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I too am disappointed by this and have sent an email to YWP to express my concern.

Maguari likes this.
  17. Helens

Helens Active Member

I agree as far as I can see from looking at Gov records online the people involved in zoo investment company are no longer involved with Yorkshire wildlife park!

18. littleRedPanda

YWP have reported the post to facebook.
    I think I'll email Safari Zoo, as I was intending passing by while on my way up to Scotland. I don't think I will now.

Maguari likes this.
  19. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Yeah, I'd be disinclined to plan a visit right now. One of these days this place will cease to be a millstone on the neck of the British zoo community. There are undoubtedly some good people there doing some good things, but the place has (frankly) been nothing but trouble for a very long time. Every time you think it's sorted out it comes back in a painfully public mudslinging match over something. I don't know if it's all traceable to the founder's involvement or what, but one way or another it needs to end for the good of everyone.

TNT likes this.
  20. littleRedPanda

Their facebook names two current YWP managers on Safari Zoo's site presently along with Webster and fear they are facing a takeover.