Join our zoo community

South Lakes Wild Animal Park South Lakes to Close to the Public

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Maguari, 17 Dec 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd be more impressed if Gill knew the difference between a Public Inquiry and a Public Enquiry.

In any event, he ain't going to get either until he has exhausted the laid down procedure.

If he's unhappy with the Council he has a right of appeal to the Magistrates Court.

I wonder why he hasn't exercised that right?

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Considering the fact he is going to be appearing before the Magistrates Court soon enough, I imagine he aims to raise his concerns then.....

3. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

His worst enemy is himself.
    I don`t think he has any idea what he is doing, from one day to the next. I seriously doubt whether he is actually of sound mind at all. And I wouldn`t take anything he says as fact until he does it.
    But his finger has always been hovering over the self destruct button, and one day he will press it.

4. bigcat speciali

bigcat speciali Well-Known Member

Have you ever watched Donald Trump with his campaign for the presidency? You find similar traits with that and of Dave Gill. There is an air of narcissistic behaviour and personality disorder. Throwing ego about and saying whatever comes out of the mouth without check. Either Dave Gill is playing a dangerous game of marketing strategy or he is truly delusional. The council and the reports of the reasons are on the Web for all to see and the council have been fair with what has taken place. We all know that inspections and recommendations take place in animal collections. We all know that at times management and staff do not agree with those decisions. However, most business even if they are short on cash (which Dave Gill is not) will not jeopardise what they are about or built up by posting obscure and at times cryptic but always childish rants. The onus and responsibilities lay with the owner and operator of this establishment. He has mentioned that he is retiring and giving up the licence. Again this has been seen and said before. He was the director, then he retired and now he is back in. Even if he was to pass on the operation he is still the owner, ultimately the strings being pulled are still done so by Gill. The more Gill rants the greater his followers rally around, but also he is alienating others including staff and other collections. Rather than an explosion of good, what is now happening is an implosion and the failings are all bared out for everyone to witness. Now, Dave Gill is being prosecuted by the local council who issue the parks licence, currently the way things are going on that concern is that he will be found guilty. There is method in his madness but only he knows that method and outcome. What I feel sad for is the staff and animals, those who do business with the park and of course for the public who are being fleeced by a very talented con artist. Overall, the behaviour and antics by Dave Gill along with his cryptic rants are worrying, it's going to end in a big mess.

5. bigcat speciali

6. bigcat speciali

7. SHAVINGTONZOO

Not sure if that was a bit 'tongue in cheek' but the two issues are separate (and I believe his hearing next summer is in the Crown Court - who will not take kindly if he starts raising issues that should go to the magistrates' court).

[I was a member of a Licensing Committee many years ago so have some experience of the appeals procedure to magistrates.]

8. bigcat speciali

Dave Gill gives a response

9. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Even though I quoted a statement saying "Crown Court" I suffered a bit of a failure of reading comprehension; hence my statement that he'd be seeing a Magistrates Court :p however, my tongue-in-cheek implication that despite his hearing next summer being for a different matter, his apparent persecution complex may mean he won't be able to restrain himself from trying to raise issues pertaining to *this* matter was deliberate - and is likely still valid despite my error.

10. bigcat speciali

This has to be a good one...the tone and words used are the same from Dave Gill so could this be Dave Gill pretending to be "the management" or may be is it his wife?

11. SHAVINGTONZOO

Oh indeed. You're surely right. But he would be a fool to do so.

12. jaffaraf

jaffaraf New Member

Top zoo in Europe? It's not even a top zoo in Cumbria

13. SHAVINGTONZOO

Top zoo in Dalton.

14. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Ain't it time we ignored this little man?

15. jaffaraf

jaffaraf New Member

Perhaps on a good day!

Call me cynical but could Dave's sudden revelation he has no significant role in the zoos running fr years be him building some sort of defence for his up and coming court case?

16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

keep this thread relevant and factual or it will be locked. Personal attacks on individuals are not appropriate. Claiming to know what staff at South Lakes think or don't think is not fact, it is conjecture.

17. jaffaraf

jaffaraf New Member

To be fair a couple of staff did respond to the original post of Dave, commenting how nice it was of him to essentially fire them on facebook

18. bigcat speciali

Thank you...

19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

that is all well and good, but posts (on this thread) claiming to know what staff are thinking is still conjecture.

Asking questions and having opinions on the situation is fine, so long as it does not go over the line. Making statements as to what one believes other people are thinking about, and phrasing one's own personal opinions as fact, is not helpful. Stick to verifiable facts.

20. bigcat speciali

Marcus Aurelius

Dave Gill and the Safari zoo park has made comments, which the local press have also commented on, this is also classed as "conjecture" but is still reported and people's opinions also made air. It is the same here within this forum group, opinions given. Please take note that Dave Gill, Safari Park and the local press has confirmed what I posted earlier which I am again posting.

Dave Gill said
    Again today the local press posted the following Dalton zoo boss David Gill ?is to retire at Christmas?

It has been confirmed by staff and ex-staff that the comments made on the Safari Zoo/South Lakes Wild Animal Park Facebook page where it is seen as attacking the local council and those who are against the park, is that of Dave Gill. Several members of staff and ex-staff made their comments known of the safari zoos Facebook page however, these comments were removed after a few hours. - Not conjecture but true and correct as confirmed. You will find that "Yorik" on zoochat is Dave Gill.

Dave Gill has recently demoted his animal mangers and is planning on bringing in a new person, a man also by the name of David. But his wife, who is also a "director" who has no zoo experience, has no say in the management but remains as a working player in the day-to-day ownership. As noted Dave Gill maintains he has had virtually no role within the running of the zoo for ten years now, this is seen as a wild piece of nonsense and his statement contradicts what was said at various court appearances of late, especially with the ibis incident. - Not conjecture but true and correct as confirmed.

With the death of the tiger keeper, Sarah; the local council, the zoo inspectors, veterinary staff, police, fire brigade and those involved with applying the rules, have seen that there is a poor atmosphere of making things right and much better. It is therefore no surprise that these people come across as hard and difficult which is making Dave Gill feel as if there is a personal vendetta (as he puts it) against him. Those people have a legal duty to apply the rules as they see fit, the zoo and that of Gill must accept that these inspections and meetings and having to write reports is seen as normal within the UK zoo community. - Not conjecture but true and correct as confirmed. Sarah did die, Dave Gill has said more than once this past week that he feels that the council has a personal vendetta against him. The authorities have made it clear with the council reports as to how they feel.

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Dec 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.