Join our zoo community

Species formerly kept in Brazil

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Enzo, 2 Feb 2021.

1. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Hello, everyone. I have some new updates for our list, so let's go!
    - I finally got to figure out what baboon species were held by Piracicaba zoo. Besides geladas, Guinea, yellow, and hamadryas used to be kept there. Black-crested mangabeys, southern pig-tailed macaques, mandrills, and common patas monkeys were also part of the zoo's Old World monkey collection.
    - Araçatuba zoo used to hold Patagonian maras, whilst Parque Zoológico de Sapucaia do Sul held Cape crested porcupines.
    - Some of us may think guanacoes aren't in Brazil anymore, except for the one in São Carlos. However, there are four of them in Sapucaia do Sul: three in their own enclosure and one sharing a paddock with two asses.
    - Both Araçatuba zoo and Bosque Fabio Barreto held European bison, and so did the now-closed Pampas Safari.
    - Domestic yak were indeed held at Belo Horizonte zoo. A pair arrived from Parque Zoológico de Sapucaia do Sul, back in 1971. In fact, the Gaucho zoo kept lots of them in the 1970s.
    - Leopards were also kept at both zoos. Along with the yak, a female leopard arrived in Minas to live with the zoo's male. Curitiba held Panthera pardus as well in the late 1990s.
    - I'd like to start a new discussion about Asiatic black bears, which used to be widely kept amongst major Brazilian zoos. As a matter of fact, Rio, São Paulo, Sorocaba, Belo Horizonte and Curitiba zoos all held them.
    - American black bears were held at the same number of zoos as Asiatic ones. Rio, Volta Redonda, São Paulo, and Sorocaba zoos held these with the addition of Zoo Safari, São Paulo zoo's own safari area. Some bears were also held by circuses, but none are probably left. There could be two individuals at Pedro Ynetarian's GAP sanctuary. I'm not sure, however, about that.
    There are many more updates left, but these are the ones for now. Merry Christmas, everyone!
    Some links, if needed:

A BH de 1971: esqui na Pampulha, olimpíada e a chegada do Yakult

Last edited: 24 Dec 2021
  2. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Your updates in this thread are always very rich in content, Enzo. I have to say I might take some time to better read and watch all this material you've shared until I'm able to continue the discussion. Congrats one more time for such intense research.

3. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Hello, once again, David. Thank you for congratulating me. I'd also really like to thank you and Ony for inspiring me to join Zoochat, as I was always interested in seeing your conversations here.

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  4. David Matos Mendes

I'm happy to know about it! From a non member reader you became almost a detective for brazilian zoos in this platform. As I said, you always find great informations.

Going to the content you posted previously,

Piracicaba zoo's former collection always surprises me more, specially the old world monkey stock. I don't think any of the major zoos in Brazil has ever kept so many species of these monkeys at the same time. The administrative crew of the zoo in those times must have had a lot of contacts worldwide to be able to obtain all these specimens. The exhibits, however, were awfully terrible, as we have seen in previous videos you've shared. Also, what are your guesses of the subspecies of wild ass that appears in the video? I thought about indian wild ass because of the dark marks in the shoulder, but the general color seems odd.

About Sorocaba, it's very nice to check out all these images of the zoo in the past, specially as I have recently visited the institution, and it's interesting to compare. They also kept a vast variety of species, like the gibbon, wich we saw in a previous video you linked here.

Now focusing on BH zoo's leopards and yaks, it's great to have a definitive answer. I always imagined if they had indeed kept these species, as I have only heard about it from non members of the crew, and never had access to the registers of that time.

I know very few things about Araçatuba and Sapucaia zoo's past in general, so it's nice to see they kept a considerable variety, specially Sapucaia. I specially liked to see the andean cock of the rock, and got surprised by the size of some of their exhibits.

5. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I agree with you about Piracicaba. Even though the city zoo surprised me a lot with its Old World monkey collection, its exhibits were horrible, not only ethically but aesthetically. About the ass, I guess it's simply a domestic one (Equus africanus asinus).
    I was fortunate enough to visit Sapucaia do Sul this year. Its herbivore paddocks are indeed huge, as shown in the videos. The zoo's carnivore exhibits, however, are awful for modern standards. My highlights were their guanacoes, rhinos, and chimango caracara.

6. David Matos Mendes

You might be correct about the ass. I should have considered the domestic kind before everything ha ha. The chances were indeed tremendously larger that they would from this kind, as these are very common in our country, and domestic animals were quite common in our zoos in this time, afaik.

It's great that you have visited Sapucaia do Sul. The impression I had from images I've seen meet your opinions about the structure. What else would you say about the place in general? Although having never visited it, I tend to think they are somehow stuck in time with their enclosures, for what I've seen in videos and pictures. Even the good exhibits they have seem to be from the old times of the institution, like the big paddocks. The zoos in the South of the country in general are still some sort of mystery to me, because the only ones in this area I've visited were Parque das Aves and bosque Guarani, both in Foz. I might have to take a trip there next year to meet both Curitiba and Sapucaia, and maybe Pomerode and Beto Carrero.

7. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Parque Zoológico de Sapucaia do Sul is a nice place for people to spend the afternoon. There are large open areas where you can have picnics. Most of its exhibits, however, are still stuck in time. Most of them have an appropriate size for their residents, but they lack ambiance and are not immersive enough. Unfortunately, there are no walkthrough exhibits for us to enjoy.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2021
  8. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Hello, everyone. It's been almost a year since my last post here. I have a lot of new updates, so let's begin!
    - Firstly, I'd like to announce the removal of three species from this list! All have been ticked off because Cotia brought them back.
    - The first species on the count is the Nile lechwe, which I have never mentioned on this thread. I discovered earlier this year São Paulo held this species in the current African Plain exhibit (formerly known as the Antelope Plain), with a calf being born in 1978. Animália Park has brought five females from Ostrava and two males from Dvur Kralove (both cities in Czechia) for conservational purposes.
    - Second on the removal list is the black wildebeest. As mentioned before, some were held at RioZoo in the 1960s and 1970s, as seen in the movie Tarzan and the Great River. A juvenile male was brought from Olomouc (also in Czechia) along with the lechwe.
    - Last but not least is the Indian rhino! Nabob, a male which lived São Paulo, was the only individual of the species to ever live in South America. However, this has changed, since a pair of Indian rhinos was recently brought from Zoo Bassin d'Arcachon (La Teste de Buch, France).

Last edited: 23 Nov 2022
    Haliaeetus, BetoYoung and arafan like this.
  9. BetoYoung

BetoYoung Well-Known Member

i just learned how difficult is to keep black wildebeests, because they're known for being territorial unlike the blue cousin, but i still think they should have brought at least a herd like 1 male and 4 females.

10. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

They could be up to some testing (checking if the species would succed in adapting to our climate and the zoo itself). Besides this, it'd be better to hold just one for the moment because wildebeest are hardly kept in mixed exhibits because they cause trouble with the other animals.

11. BetoYoung

yeah, you're right.

12. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Hello. It's time to update the list.

Brown hyena
    In November 1930, a brown hyena was given to Vila Isabel by José R. Scharer, director of the zoo in Córdoba. The animal was on board the Japanese ship Kawachi Maru when it arrived in Rio. Its death date is unknown.
    Correio da Manhã (RJ) - 1936 a 1939 - DocReader Web

I am aware of only one other specimen of the species in Brazil, which lived in São Paulo until at least 1990.

Spotted hyena
    In the same shipment as Vila Isabel's brown hyena, there was a spotted one. This animal, like others from the zoo, was used at the 1934 International Sample Fair, an event held annually in the then Brazilian capital during the 1930s. There, it bit a man named Oscar Mauricio.
    A Noite (RJ) - 1930 a 1939 - DocReader Web

At RioZoo, the successor of Vila Isabel, there have been at least two pairs of spotted hyenas.
    The first one came from Kenya in 1949, along with the zoo's first giraffes, on the ship Straat Malakka. The male was called Nelo and the female Neda.
    A Noite (RJ) - 1940 a 1949 - DocReader Web
    A Noite (RJ) - 1950 a 1959 - DocReader Web

The second couple came from the National Zoological Gardens of South Africa in 1990, in exchange for some Brazilian animals. Lazaroni was the male's name and Argentina was the female's. The last of these two most likely died around 1997.
    Jornal do Brasil (RJ) - 1990 a 1999 - DocReader Web

The report announcing the arrival of Lazaroni and Argentina also says that Curitiba had a specimen of spotted hyena at the time.

Striped hyena
    Many newspaper reports from the 1970s confirm the presence of hyenas in Goiânia, but none reveal the species of animals kept there. I assume their species was the striped one because of a specimen exhibited in an African-themed exhibition at the Cerrado Memorial Museum, which most likely used many animals held by the zoo.
    [​IMG]
    (I don't know who took this picture)

I'm actually here to announce spotted hyenas have been officially removed from the list, as Cotia brought a pair from Russia last year.

Attached Files:

13. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Hello. Time for a new update!

Ursine tree-kangaroo
    May 1972: In a shipment of thirty-five animals, the first tree-kangaroo in Brazil arrived at the São Paulo zoo. Its species was not stated, but I believe it was Dendrolagus ursinus.

Jornal do Brasil (RJ) - 1970 a 1979 - DocReader Web

Between May 1972 and October 1975: another specimen of tree-kangaroo arrived in the country, also sent to São Paulo.

October 6, 1975: both animals are sent to RioZoo.

August 1, 1977: for the first time, the couple's first joey, a female, put her paws out of her mom's pouch.

July 6, 1978: It was announced RioZoo's female had another joey. The new baby was expected to completely leave the marsupium in August.

O Fluminense (RJ) - 1970 a 1979 - DocReader Web

[​IMG]

Picture by Jorge Peter, taken in 1978 at RioZoo.

Fotos resgatam alegria do público no Jardim Zoológico do Rio, apesar de histórico de problemas | Blog do Acervo - O Globo

July 1981: a tree-kangaroo from RioZoo was sent to the Glória marina to be part of Riotur advertising.

Jornal do Brasil (RJ) - 1980 a 1989 - DocReader Web

Unknown date, 1981: According to the CITES Trade Database, an ursine tree-kangaroo was shipped from Brazil to Italy.

CITES Trade Database

February 1982: Another baby kangaroo, a female, saw the world for the first time. The sire, as the report below says, was relocated back to São Paulo.

Jornal da Orla (SP) - 1973 a 2015 - DocReader Web
    Jornal da Orla (SP) - 1973 a 2015 - DocReader Web

1991: From an announcement made by Jornal do Brasil, it is guaranteed that, until at least the 1990s, tree-kangaroos were held by RioZoo

Tribuna da Imprensa (RJ) - 1980 a 1989 - DocReader Web
    Jornal do Brasil (RJ) - 1990 a 1999 - DocReader Web

Striped hyena
    Vila Isabel had striped hyenas, which had been there since possibly the 1890s, until at least the 1910s.

http://memoria.bn.br/DocReader/DocReader.aspx?bib=103730_04&pesq=hyena zoológico&hf=memoria.bn.br&pagfis=29347

The funny thing is that striped hyenas are no longer on the list! Cotia brought two from Germany a while ago.

Animalia Park on Instagram: "Por acaso você já ouviu falar na hiena-listrada? A hiena-malhada é um animal bem conhecido, devido a animações e a inúmeros documentários de natureza na África. Porém, hoje vamos falar da sua prima listrada. Embora seja menos conhecida, é extremamente bonita e ocorre não apenas na África mas também no sudoeste Asiático. É menor e mais tímida do que sua prima malhada, chegando a pesar 40 kg, vivendo de modo solitário ou em pequenos grupos. Necrófoga, se alimenta principalmente de carniça, mas pode caçar pequenos e médios animais, se alimentando também de insetos e frutas. ⚠️Atualmente está classificada como Quase Ameaçada pela lista de espécies ameaçadas da União Internacional para a Conservação da Natureza (IUCN), porém suas populações têm diminuído, e já desapareceu de algumas áreas, por conta da destruição do seu habitat, pela redução da disponibilidade de presas e pela caça, que visa a obtenção da sua pele e partes do seu corpo para a medicina tradicional, além de ser perseguida por ter sido representada historicamente de forma negativa. Mais informações e ingressos, acesse animaliapark.com.br Em setembro funcionamos de quinta a domingo das 9h às 19:30. Bilheteria e entrada no Animália Park: das 9h às 15h Funcionamento do Animália Reserva: das 9h às 17h (Entrada até às 15h) Funcionamento do Animália Diversão: das 10:30 às 19:30 Vendas exclusivas na bilheteria e no site. #edivertidopreservar #animaliapark #cotia #cotiasp #ferias2023 #SPPC"

Last edited: 1 Oct 2023
  14. BetoYoung

i told about the arriving of striped hyenas in the animalia park's thread

15. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

I know. I'm just updating the list. Thank you for posting there.

16. BetoYoung

you're welcome

17. David Matos Mendes

Update for a not very highlighted species, but one that, afaik, wasn't mentioned here yet: Marmots (Marmota marmota) were kept in the Belo Horizonte zoo. Three individuals were brought from FPZSP (São Paulo zoo) in 1977.

Haliaeetus, BetoYoung and Enzo like this.
  18. BetoYoung

that's amazing. I wonder if some zoos still keep wisent, i know sao paulo zoo has or had them.

19. David Matos Mendes

São Paulo, Curitiba, Belo Horizonte, Goiânia, Sapucaia do Sul and Brasília kept wisent in the past. No institutions keep such animals in the country nowadays, as the ones who ultimately phased them out lost their last individuals around one decade ago. Out of curiosity, Brasilia kept the oldest wisent in history: a female named "Babalu".

BetoYoung and Haliaeetus like this.
  20. BetoYoung

that's sad, i wish any brazilian zoo could still keep them.