Join our zoo community

Species found in one south american zoo

Discussion in 'Central & South America - General' started by toto98, 23 Jun 2013.

1. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Surely Chile (specially Buin zoo) keeps a lot of different and unusual species. It would be certainly a great experience to meet some of the zoos in there.

2. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

They were there during my first visit to the zoo, in 2011.

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  3. TheChukaulorian

TheChukaulorian Well-Known Member

The national zoo strikes a good balance between zoo staples and native species such as the pudu, Darwin's frog and colocolo, while the Buin Zoo has amassed an impressive collection over the years and has an enviable track record with the breeding of threatened species such as pygmy hippos, white rhinos, siamangs and now Somali wild ass. You really should come if you have the chance.

4. David Matos Mendes

Chile has always been such a dream trip to me and my family. Hope we can visit some day. Buin and Santiago zoo are surely amazing institutions that I really hope to have the chance to pay a visit. By the way, for what I've noticed, Buin is one of the few institutions in South America that has been increasing it's collection in the last years, am I right? Most of the other zoos here have been phasing out species slowly...

5. arafan

arafan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you for the answer! :) I came up with this, because the CITES trade database lists two imports, onde in 2014 and an other in 2015. As I couldn't find any information regarding that, I just wanted to know if there may have been something I've overlooked.
    Their exhibit looks interesting, do you know what species is kept in it now?

6. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I remember seeing the tomistoma in a indoor exhibit, but it seems to have been moved after. It was quite large and gathered a lot of attention.
    After Argentina declared a war on its zoos, it is nice to see the zoos of Santiago, Chile become the crown of animal collections in the southern cone. Buin. Zoo and zoológico Nacional are now at the instituciones to watch for in South America. During a 6 month sabbatical in Chile I enjoyed my visits there. I strongly recommend that the Brazilian zoo chaters visit Santiago to see its fine zoos and other attractions.

7. David Matos Mendes

Hmm I wonder wich zoo has imported this species so short time ago... Surely it's not São Paulo, but now I'm curious to know...
    In the former gharial exhibit, now there is a black caiman (jacaré açu) living.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2021
    arafan likes this.
  8. David Matos Mendes

Ah yes, so it's the present otter exhibit. It's located beside the chimpanzee exhibit; and although it's been refurbished, you might recognize it DSCN3904.JPG
    DSCN3903.JPG

arafan likes this.
  9. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Yes, the gharials were kept in an indoor exhibit before they were moved to the current black caiman enclosure. However, what do you mean about Argentina declaring war on zoos?

10. David Matos Mendes

The anti zoo movement in Argentina is/was very strong for what I know. Buenos Aires zoo, wich was one of the biggest animal collections in the continent, was closed (turned into an "ecoparque"). I think that's what Carlos meant.
    Although that, @carlos55 , I'm happy that Argentina still has a high standard zoo such as Temaikén, to ensure that the future of zoos in the country is not condened...

11. David Matos Mendes

Many zoos in the continent have been developing to become high standard ones, and not only the chileans. Temaikén, as I said, Bioparque do Rio, and also many brazilian zoos that have a relatively low budget when compared to the previous ones, have been great representations of conservation and good practices in this part of the world at all.

12. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ecozoo San Martín in Ecuador also keeps horned screamers (or at least kept it in 2017).

13. AWP

I saw quite a number of rare animal species in Central and South America, at least to me as an European, but I'm not sure how rare they actually are on the continent.

14. David Matos Mendes

Forgot to mention, but also the Huachipa and Parque de las leyendas, in Peru; Cali and Medellin zoos in Colombia, and many others represent really great institutions.

15. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The southern cone or Cono Sur is not all of South America. It is Argentina, Chile , Uruguay and Paraguay.
    In Argentina animal rights activists have obtained great power in many municipalities and government offices, They have severely affected many zoos. The Buenos Aires zoo was closed, and will someday reopen as a Biopark, but the collection was greatly reduced and dispersed to so called sanctuaries, privatee collectors and in a few cases to zoos in other countries.A similar fate as affected the zoos of Mendoza, Rio de la Plata, and Lujan.
    My photographs of Buenos Aires zoo and Mendoza zoo here on zoo chat are now historic because those institutions have now been closed and not reopened. I do not even like to see them anymore

16. David Matos Mendes

Sorry, had never heard the expression "southern cone". In this case, the only zoos comparable to Buin and Santiago would be, in my opinion, Temaikén and M'bopicuá (not necessarily equaly large collections, but good conditions and practices.)
    Indeed the situation in Argentina is complicated. Even though Mendoza and La plata zoo being actually more difficult to refurbish, due to the bad situation they found themselves, the closure surely wasn't the best option in my opinion. Talking about Buenos Aires zoo even leaves me upset. They were renovating many spaces and had fairly good exhibits for what I could see from pictures my relatives took there, and also from your pictures.

Due to the lack of time, I couldn't go to BA zoo when I went to Argentina a few years ago, and wanted to return and meet it; but it wasn't possible... Hope the new Ecoparque develops enough nice environments...

carlos55 likes this.
  17. David Matos Mendes

Forgot to mention Lujan, but this one I'm in favor of the closure...

18. TheChukaulorian

TheChukaulorian Well-Known Member

What's the current status of Temaikén, and is it in threat of being canceled by activists? I didn't know the backlash against zoos was so widespread in Argentina.

19. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but I don't think that Temaikén would be an easy target for animal rights activists.

I don't think it would be in any kind of immediate danger either as it is too heavily involved in ex-situ and in-situ conservation, very well funded / connected and is too versatile / modern / media savvy.

AWP and carlos55 like this.
  20. AWP

A list of mammal and bird of prey species I have seen only in one Latin American zoo and nowhere else:

* grey fox - Simón Bolívar
    * Andean fox - Amaru
    * crab-eating fox - Summit

* little red brocket deer - San Martín

* Mexican tree porcupine - Simón Bolívar
    * lesser capybara - Summit

* rufous-naped tamarin - Summit
    * Graells's tamarin - Amaru
    * white-tailed titi - San Martín
    * white-fronted capuchin - San Martín
    * Central American squirrel monkey - Summit

* short-tailed hawk - Simón Bolívar
    * gray hawk - Simón Bolívar
    * broad-winged hawk - Simón Bolívar
    * savanna hawk - San Martín

* bat falcon - Simón Bolívar
    * collared forest falcon - Simón Bolívar

* Stygian owl - Amaru
    * Roraima screech owl - San Martín

I haven't listed all other animals seen in Latin American zoos, but I guess blue-footed booby (Amaru) is among the rarest species in captivity.

Last edited: 11 Feb 2021