Join our zoo community

Species kept at the Australian Reptile Park

Discussion in 'Australia' started by steveroberts, 10 Nov 2020.

1. steveroberts

steveroberts Well-Known Member 5+ year member

With special thanks to Zooboy28 and all the other people who have archived the species of animals that are held/kept in zoos/wildlifeparks/aquariums/private facilities etc. I have wanted for so long to find a comprehensive list of all species kept at the Australian Reptile Park. I read a species inventory from the Eric Worrell days in the 60s and 70s from his 2010 published biography 'Snake Bitten' by the talented Nancy Cushing and Kevin Markwell (very worth reading anyone who hasnt already). But from the information on Zooboy28's list of exotic reptiles and amphibians in Australian facilities aswell as the Aus Reptile Park website, I made a list today of the species I could determine that are kept at the park. Please any assistance in adding or removing species would be amazing.

Australian Repitle Park, Somersby, NSW.

Assumed species list as of 10/11/2020.

REPTILES (approx 66 species)

American Alligator
    Saltwater Crocodile
    Freshwater Crocodile
    Alligator Snapping Turtle
    Broad-Shelled Long-Necked Turtle
    Eastern Long-Neck Turtle
    Manning River Turtle
    Murray River Turtle
    Galapagos Giant Tortoise
    Star Tortoise
    Leopard Tortoise
    Philippine Sailfin Lizard
    Frilled Neck Lizard
    Eastern Water Dragon
    Eastern Bearded Dragon
    Southern Forest Dragon
    Central Netted Dragon
    Schetopusik
    Veiled Chameleon
    Bavay's Giant Geckp
    Madagascan Giant Day Gecko
    Cuvier's Caledonian Gecko
    Reticulated Gila Monster
    Fijian Banded Iguana
    Fijian Crested Iguana
    Rhinoceros Iguana
    Green Iguana
    Solomon Island Skink
    Blotched Blue-Tongue Lizard
    Eastern Blue-Tongue Lizard
    Shingleback Lizard
    Land Mullet
    Cunningham's Skink
    Hosmer's Skink
    Eastern Water Skink
    Black and White Tegu
    Komodo Dragon
    Perentie
    Lace Monitor
    Merten's Water Monitor
    Freckled Monitor
    Short-Tailed Pygmy Monitor
    Green Anaconda
    Burmese Python
    Ball Python
    Reticulated Python
    Diamond Python & Jungle Carpet Python
    Green Tree Python
    Spotted Python
    Rough Scaled Python
    Black-Headed Python
    Stimson's Python
    Woma Python
    Olive Python
    Corn Snake
    King Cobra
    Brown Tree Snake
    Common Death Adder
    Fierce Snake
    Coastal Taipan
    Eastern Brown Snake
    King Brown Snake
    Mainland Tiger Snake
    Red Bellied Black Snake
    Lowland Copperhead Snake
    Western Diamondback Rattlesnake

AMPHIBIANS: (approx 8 species)

Cane Toad
    Green and Golden Bell Frog
    Green Tree Frog
    Magnificent Tree Frog
    Peron's Tree Frog
    Striped Marsh Frog
    Blue-Poison-Arrow Frog & Dyeing-Poison-Arrow Frog

MAMMALS (approx 18 species)

Platypus
    Short-Beaked Echidna
    Grey Headed Flying Fox
    Dingo
    Tasmanian Devil
    Eastern Quoll
    Ringtail Possum
    Mountain Pygmy Possum
    Feathertail Glider
    Greater Bilby
    Bare-Nosed Wombat
    Koala
    Red Kangaroo
    Eastern Grey Kangaroo
    Kangaroo Island Kangaroo (Western Grey)
    Yellow-Footed Rock Wallaby
    Parma Wallaby
    Quokka

BIRDS (approx 27 species)

Emu
    Double-Wattle Cassowary
    Bookbook Owl
    Barn Owl
    Tawny Frogmouth
    Laughing Kookaburra
    Blue-Winged Kookaburra
    Major Mitchell Cockatoo
    King Parrot
    Rainbow Lorikeet
    Scaly-Breasted Lorikeet
    Cape Barren Geese
    Australian Bustard
    Black-Winged Stilt
    Banded Lapwing
    Bush-Stone Curlew
    Green Catbird
    White Browed Woodswallow
    Satin Bowerbird
    Brown Cuckoo Dove
    Common Bronzewing
    Wonga Pigeon
    Torresian Imperial Pigeon
    White Headed Pigeon
    Topknot Pigeon
    Regent Honeyeater
    Blue Faced Honeyeater

Spiders (11 species)

Mexican Red-Kneed Tarantula
    Peruvian Pink-Toed Tarantula
    Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird Eating Spider
    Australian Bird Eating Spider
    Sydney Funnel Web Spider
    Trapdoor Spider
    Mouse Spider
    Wolf Spider
    Red-Backed Spider
    White Tailed Spider
    Huntsman Spider

Approx 130 species at the Australian Reptile Park

2. steveroberts

Sorry should also mention I'm sure theres more reptile, amphibian, mammal, bird, arachnids and possibly insect and fish species kept here I just wanted to possibly open a discussion thread about the current and past species that have lived here. I find it a shame that species of Tree Kangaroo, New Guinean Singing Dogs, Marsupial Gliders, Cuscus, Mambas, Vipers, Dragons Lizards, Terrapins, Newt/Salamanders to name a few I know of have been housed here in the past and are no longer.

Jake1508 likes this.
  3. Riley

Riley Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They do also have Goodfellows tree kangaroos on display

steveroberts likes this.
  4. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Here are some additions to the list from the park's Facebook page over the past year. I have added scientific names for the lesser-known species:

Mammals:
    *Fat-tailed Dunnart [most recent mention was June 2020]
    *Tiger Quoll [most recent mention was June 2020]
    *Rufous Bettong [most recent mention was November 2020]
    *Goodfellow’s Tree Kangaroo – 1.1 pair [last mentioned in September 2020]

Note:
    They also received Red-tailed Phascogales (Phascogale calura) a few years ago but it seems like they are no longer at the park probably because they are such a short-lived species.

Birds:
    *Red-browed Fig Parrot [mentioned in October 2020]
    *Eclectus Parrot [bred in August 2020]
    *Sacred Kingfisher [mentioned in June 2020]
    *Eastern Grass Owl [their pair had a chick which was announced in July 2020]

Reptiles:
    *Pig-nosed Turtle [mentioned in June 2020]
    *Red-faced Turtle (Emydura victoriae) [mentioned in May 2020, on-display in Lost World of Reptiles area]
    *Worrells’s Turtle (Emydura subglobosa worrelli) [on-display in Lost World of Reptiles area]
    *Midline Knob-tailed Gecko (Nephrurus vertebralis) [mentioned in April 2020]
    *Night Skink (Liopholis striata ) [on-display in Lost World of Reptiles area]
    *Pygmy Bearded Dragon (Pogona minor) [on-display in Lost World of Reptiles area]
    *Pygmy Mulga Snake (Pseudechis weigeli) [on-display in Lost World of Reptiles area]

Amphibians:
    *Northern Corroboree Frog (Pseudophryne pengilleyi) [mentioned in April 2020]

steveroberts likes this.
  5. steveroberts

Amazing!! thankyou so much, great to see there are more species than I thought

WhistlingKite24 likes this.
  6. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

While it's an impressive collection, they have possibly got a bigger range of herps offshow. I remember post-fire that they received donations from collections around the world. I once saw some Boelen's pythons (never seen them anywhere else), which never went on display. Massive collection of venomous stock - spiders and snakes. For example, I'd imagine they would have a number of the different death adder species.

steveroberts and Zorro like this.
  7. steveroberts

Yeah that makes total sense come to think of it considering their iextemely mpressive venom milking work in supplying the serum anti-venom labs (wow more than 70 years now I realise while typing this, having started at Mr Worrell's first facility 'Ocean Beach Aquarium' at Umina in '48 or '49.

Even though this next comment is a bit of a tangent from the thread subject itself I just wanted to share it. Have been curious for ages about the specific location of the original park and found when looking it up the archived brochures always said to just turn right before the 'Ploddy the Dinosaur' model and Pacific Hwy, Wyoming. Found an archived map from 1970s (tried uploading it but got reminded of copyright) from a Gosford history flickr site. But the map shows Wingello Creek running through the western portion of the park. So when looking on googleearth/googlemaps, found the spot and found that sometime after 1996 it became the site of new streets and houses (not surprising) but was nice to see they named a crescent street after Eric Worrell (Worrell Circuit) and on the side of the street Wingello Crescent that borders the creek there is a crocodile statue and benches as a memorial to the park and I assume Eric Worrell himself. It almost seems like the current location of Aldi Wyoming at 489 Pacific Hwy would have been the original main entrance building.

Btw it was really sad to hear about that fire, the poor animals that died.

P.S I believe the address of Mr Worrell's Ocean Beach Aquarium betwen '49 and '58
    was 198 West Street, Umina Beach (now a real estate agency). Oh and I just found out apparently he started milking snake venom for the serum lab in 1951 and by mid 1954 had milked 10,000 snakes.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2020
  8. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Bit cheeky being hauled up for copyright violation when there is no way the owner of the flickr site could be the copyright holder.

steveroberts likes this.
  9. steveroberts

Its a great map (in terms of a small wildlife facility in Australia in 1970s). I was thinking of posting link to it here but I might get in trouble for that too.

10. steveroberts

Hey this is the Reptile Park's snake and lizard species inventory list from January 1979. The list provided by Nancy Cushing and Kevin Markwell from their brilliant biography of Eric Worrell and the Park 'Snake Bitten' (2010)
    I counted approx' 64 names on the species inventory list though some are
    specific subspecies of species like multiple Tiger Snakes subspecies for example. I
    noticed it doesn't include the testudinidaes or crocodilians the park would have had like a large number of American Alligators, Freshwater and Saltwater Crocodiles, and I think maybe New Guinean Crocodiles and False Gharials still. Obviously too the inventorywasnt meant to list the various mammals, birds and fish the park kept. Its a cool list Imust say and again its from 1979 still during Eric Worrell's proprietorship and when the park was still located at its Wyoming/North Gosford site. It does list bullfrogs on list even though it seems to be specifically about lizards and snakes:

SINGLE ANIMALS
    1 frilled lizard 1 Bengal monitor 1 tegu 1 mangrove monitor 1 western rattlesnake
    1 western diamondback rattlesnake 1 black mamba 1 sidewinder 1 speckled rattlesnake 1 rhinoceros viper 1 Gaboon viper 1 tuatara 1 black head python 1 carpet python 1 boa constrictor 1 Indian python 1 amethystine python 1 Haitian boa 1 tokay gecko 1 red blacksnake 1 juvenile brown tree snake 1 Gould’s monitor 1 Gippsland water dragon
    PAIRS
    2 taipans 2 king browns 2 blue-bellied black snakes 2 King Island tiger snakes 2 Flinders tiger snakes 2 kraits 2 wagglers pit vipers 2 black mambas 2 monocled cobras 2 speckled rattlesnakes 2 western diamondback rattlesnakes 2 red rattlesnakes 2 Gila monsters 2 anacondas 2 prehensile-tailed skinks
    2 pink-tongue skinks 2 death adders 2 Burtons legless lizards 2 swamp snakes 2 bullfrogs 2 green iguanas
    MULTIPLE 3 king cobras 3 water moccasins 3 Chappell Island tiger snakes 3 western brown snakes 3 puff adders 3 reticulated pythons 3 boa constrictors 3 mangrove snakes 3 carpet pythons 4 African pythons
    4 southern blotched blue-tongues 4 Children’s pythons 5 sand monitors 5 diamond pythons 5 Gillen’s pygmy monitors 5–6 shinglebacks 9 lace monitor 5 brown snakes 25 tiger snakes 30 black snakes

Last edited: 4 Sep 2021
  11. steveroberts

& sorry should have mentioned that the Tuatara mentioned is not a lizard. Apparently two were given to the park as a gift from the NZ government in 1965.

Zorro likes this.