Join our zoo community

Species of Bird of Paradise kept in captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by sebbe67, 7 Oct 2007.

1. sebbe67

sebbe67 Well-Known Member

Thanks very much everyone!:D

The members here at the site is brilliant and has helped me increadibly much;) I have added all updates now and aim sure that the list is more accurate now. There os BOPs kept in small Asian zoos and these are aim trying to locate, mostly lesser or Raggina àthink. But Japan cold hold some suprises.

I think I have filled up most of my gaps now, some remains and I will probably get some new questions later on.

2. sebbe67

So everyone, I have come up with a few new questions. :rolleyes:

Anyone knows how many Greater Bird of Paradise Wolsrode in Germany keeps at the moment? this species in very rare in Europe and I believe Wolsrode is the only ones keeping this species outside the Asian region?

According to some sources the Trumpet Manucode Manucodia keraudrenii is kept at one park in Berlin. But I have not been able to find out much more, is it really kept there and if so, how many?

3. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sofar all i can do for you is confirm that the manucodia keraudrenii is kept at the Berlin Zoologischer garten (west berlin) and Walsrode Birdpark holds the world first captive breeding with the greater bird of paradise in 2001...

I could try and ask some german zoo-enthousiasts about numbers if you want me to, but i can't guarantee they are spot on...

4. jwer

I sofar found out that Walsrode now only holds 1,0 Greater bird of paradise.

About the trumpet manucode. Berlin zoo holds (or held) the 1,1 for quite a long time allready but the german zoo enthousiast i spoke hasn't seen them at his last two visits, summer 2006 and spring 2007. They could have been moved off-show because they had a failed hatching in 2005... When he visited this spring the year-report over 2006 wasn't available yet so someone else could know more, i'll keep you posted when others respond.

5. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Thanks Jwer.

Where have the greater Bops at Walsrode gone?

How many of the other species do they hold?

6. sebbe67

Thanks for this info jwer,

Very much appreciated, so Wolsrode is only keeping a single Great Bird of Paradise, it seems like this species is becoming more and more rare in Europe. Wolsrode is the only ones keeping this species in Europe to my knowledge, from breeding in 2001 to only 1 bird now? as writhedhornbill asked, do you know what happended to the other birds? did they die or was they moved elsewhere?

Lets hope Berlin still keeps the Trumpets, these are the only indivduals of this species keept in captivity in recent years outside New Guinea I think, hopefully they will put them on display soon if they still have them so that we will know more about them.

Thanks again for the info jwer, really helpfull.

7. jwer

According to people who could know:

The single male greater BoP is the only offspring they had in 2001, it's parents have since died and it's now the only one in Europe.

The last few years almost all their red BoP have died, and the last remaining animal has been sent to Chester, so they are all gone as well.

What now remains are
    - Twelve-wired BoP
    - Lesser BoP
    - King BoP

All of these are kept off-show, and apparantly the king's breed well. So well that a single young male has been sent to Wuppertal Zoo, he's not on colour yet though. There does seem to be a female shortage so in the near future another holder of males is more likely then Wuppertal obtaining a female.

I don't think i could get any more info, you'd have to mail Walsrode's curator to get the exact numbers...

8. Writhedhornbill

What animal was sent to Chester, Is it a male, as that would mean Chester has 4.1

9. sebbe67

Thanks for this extensive amount of info Jwer,

Really thankful for it, you dont happen to know when their last Red bird of Paradise left Wolsrode? or how many Twelve-wired BoPs they keep?

Thanks in advance

10. sebbe67

Does anyone knows if any of the following species has ever been kept in captivity? I have found no info regarding whatever or not they have been and any info is wanted badly.

Paradise Crow Lycocorax pyrrhopterus (yeah I know, doubtfully belong to this group)

Jobi Manucode Manucodia jobiensis

Long-tailed Paradigalla Paradigalla carunculata (very strongly doubt it but who knows)

Arfak Astrapia Astrapia nigra (very strongly doubt it but who knows)

Goldie’s Bird of Paradise Paradisaea decora

11. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A male arrived in the year they first bred, it was probably the same one.

12. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the Ribbon-Tailed (Astrapia mayeri) is displayed anywhere today?

Saw them at Taronga back in the 1960s. In my opinion they are the most beautiful of them all. (They have an iridescent head and long white tail feathers which make a "flit-flit-flit" sound when they fly.)

13. sebbe67

Well, thats intresting, wasent aware that Taronga used to have this species.

I know that it has been displayed at Chester zoo in the past and several times in the USA (has apparently also breed succesfully there), I dont think there is any in captivity anylonger.

From what I have been able to gather Taronga has keept Trumpet Manucode in the past and at the moment they are only keeping a single male Paradise Riflebird. Anyone knows if this park has kept any other species?

Has Victoria’s Riflebird been kept in captivity anywhere in Australia?

Thanks
    sebbe

14. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

Hi Sebbe!
    Just a quick note to tell you, in case it hasn't been writen, that Surabaya Zoo (Indonesia) keeps a pair of Ptiloris magnificus along with a young male Paradisaea raggiana.
    Melaka zoo (Malaysia) keeps two males Paradisaea rubra and a pair of Paradisaea minor.
    Kuala Lumpur Bird park keeps a pair and a single male of Paradisaea apoda.
    Ragunan Zoo (Indonesia) keeps a pair of Paradisaea minor.

15. sebbe67

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for all this info, very intresting as not much is documented about BOPS in south-east Asian zoos, even less in Indonesian ones. Seems to be a few additional birds in Asian zoos, which is very promising. Several species already breeding in captivity in Asia and with a pair of Ptiloris magnificus of Surabaya one can only hope that these will start breeding as well. Paradisaea rubra is very intresting, orginating from Jurong perhaps.

You didnt saw any Lesser Bird of Paradise Paradisaea minor in Kuala Lumpur Bird park? or know if they still keeps these?

If you have records of Bird of Paradise from places elsehwhere I would love the hear about those:D

Thanks again Pedro.

16. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

Hi Sebbe!
    I didn't see any lesser BoP in KL birdpark during my last visit (august '06)... I don't know if anything changed there so far.
    What I remember (nothing to do with BoP but still interesting for you...) is that I saw a young male Helmeted hornbill kept in the nursery... Is it still alive?? Is there a pair right now?? I don't know...
    Back to birds of Paradise, I know Bali Bird Park keeps at least five or six species right now... but I don't know exactly which ones and if they're breeding or not.
    I'll go to Walsrode at the beginning of 2008 and will ask about their current population of Birds of Paradise (maybe some breeding!!)

17. sebbe67

Hello Pedro

I know they keept Lesser BOP up until a few years ago, they may still keep them, off-display perhaps. One could however hope that they would replace them with some more rare BOP but thats wishfull thinking.

Intresting about the Helmeted Hornbill, I know that the Malaysians are having good reproduction rate with this species, and has had so for the past 4-5 years. Just improving my chances of getting a pair.

Was not aware that Bali Bird Park still kept that many species, they used to (wish you probably are aware of) keep Wilsons in the past and surely has a great history when it comes to keeping this group of birds, as very little is known about this collection I guess that their breeding rate isnt very good. Would love to know which species they keep at the moment.

Good luck at your upcoming visit to Walsrode, defenitely the top park in Europe for this group of birds and you are lucky to know the curator, must be a very intresting guy to talk with. Still has some success with several species. BTW, do you know how their Twelve-wired BOPs are doing?

Sad about their Greater BOP though, probably wont be any individuals of this species left in Europe soon, who knows the male might outlife us.

Sebbe

18. Writhedhornbill

19. Writhedhornbill

20. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Most birds of paradise are common in their ranges in New Guinea. Some are garden birds. I hope to visit PNG one day - practically every bird tour there sees 18-21 species of BoPs!