Join our zoo community

Species saved by conservation

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by tetrapod, 8 Sep 2016.

1. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd suggest going through IUCN data and make a list of all the species that were once EW, CR, EN and have now been downlisted to VU or lower. That would probably be the most simple way to get the information you are seeking.

2. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi guys, thanks for the lively debate. Sorry for the lack of further input on my part as I've not been back on ZC since.
    As to some of the suggestions that have been put forward:

* I guess I also should have been clearer at the outset that I was looking for species with small founder numbers which then bounced back. Some examples that I have found have increased in numbers but then subsequently fallen back too (Devil's Hole pupfish being an example). Originally my list concentrated on those with 100 individuals or less, but since starting the thread my list now includes species that were reduced to 500 or less individuals (seemed a shame to disregard them).

* I had only mentioned Mauritius kestrels as an extreme example of reduced population and was well aware that Black robins were in the same boat! Didn't realise though that they descended from only a pair (however knew there was only one female involved). remarkable given the circumstances.

* Crested geckos. Had a bit of a look into these guys and I would agree that they don't quite fit the bill. Firstly there were populations that were overlooked when they were thought to be extinct. Secondly 'a small number' were taken to the US which spawned the pet trade, but I have no idea exactly how many. Also the geckos in the pet trade are being bred along certain colour morphs - a similar analogy would be that the aurochs has been saved because we still have cattle... Thirdly the wild populations seem to be decreasing and there doesn't seem to be a co-ordinated conservation program in place.

* Golden hamsters. See Crested geckos, I'm afraid. While the myth suggests that they were extinct in the wild, the reality seems to be that they were doing okay in other parts of Syria. Most domestic Golden hamsters are colour/coat morphs.

* Love the discussion regarding the various fish in the trade. If we can see co-ordinated programs which are designed specifically to safe-guard the species in captivity even if the future release in the wild is unlikely, then I would give them a star. I'll need to look into them.

* I would be happy to hear more about specific African rift cichlids that have been saved and managed in captivity. I haven't yet found any species that meet the criteria.

3. tetrapod

I have used the IUCN redlist extensively, but usually by plugging a particular species to find info. Some species don't have much info or it needs updating. Is there a way to sift data by looking at which species have been downgraded? I have also been using Arkive and the ubiquitous Wikipedia to help find the relevant info.

4. tetrapod

I have included PD deer, Prz horses, Nene, As Lions, SW rhino, At Pr chicken and Wh crane on my list, thanks.

Am crocs seem to have been always relatively widespread over their range, but possibly you were referring specifically to their very small USA population?

And while the conservation of the large whales has been significant and successful, all the species were probably too abundant even at their lowest level for my purposes ie. in excess of 500 individuals, with possibly North Pacific Right whales only falling into the list.

5. tetrapod

With regards to subspecies splitting etc I have added subspecies with the caveat that I tried to be sensible with picking pretty discrete populations that can be reliably identified as such ie. Asiatic Lions.

Must try and read the Partula article - they are a difficult one to get a handle on. Some taxa haven't done well in captivity (others have), some are subspecies/type (presumably from one valley or peak) - all very confusing to those of us who just see very small (and dare I suggest, boring) snails of high conservation importance...

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the most recent number I have read was (I think) 19 taxa, which suggests quite a number never made it given that 33 taxa was quoted in 1996. But yes the information available online isn't particularly clear about what species/subspecies/forms are involved.

cichlids aren't my strong point, but one does always here about (especially) Lake Victoria species exisiting only in captivity after Nile Perch eliminated wild populations. This 1989 article, for example - https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-as-much-care-and-attention-as-furry-animals/ - vaguely mentions multiple species, and specifically names Haplochromis pyrrhocephalus as surviving only in the tanks at the Horniman Museum in London. Yet the IUCN page for that species has it as Least Concern and labels it as "an abundant species".

Moving elsewhere, Madagascan cichlids may be more noteworthy to look into. For example, although early days, Ptychochromis insolitus was thought to be functionally-extinct until 2013: Fish Found: The Greatest Conservation Success Story of 2013? - Scientific American Blog Network

there are probably loads of species in NZ, the Pacific and Australia which would fall within your scope (especially in terms of non-captive conservation efforts). But difficult to give specifics without knowing what you already have.

7. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi tetrapod.

This doesn't take your <500 rule into account, but the paper cited below reported that conservation action has resulted in 64 vertebrates being downgraded to a lower threat level on the Red List. Whilst I don't have a list of species, you could contact the lead author (Michael Hoffman of the IUCN) to ask for one.

Hoffmann, M., Hilton-Taylor, C., Angulo, A., Böhm, M., Brooks, T. M., Butchart, S. H., ... & Darwall, W. R. (2010). The impact of conservation on the status of the world's vertebrates. Science, 330(6010), 1503-1509.

8. Chlidonias

I think most invertebrates would be difficult to fit into the "500 or less individuals" range, simply because of their small size. You could have a species with several thousand individuals, but still critically-endangered because all found in one tiny plot of land or even on one tree.

The Lord Howe stick insect is an obvious example to the contrary, but in general I think that for invertebrates the population number should not be the most relevant factor.

9. tetrapod

My list so far (figures are minimum population - captive + wild):
    Part I
    Invertebrates
    Lord Howe Island Stick Insect - Dryococelus australis [24 ind in 2001] (Lord Howe Isl)
    Fish
    Devil’s Hole Pupfish - Cyrprinodon diabolis [67 ind in 2006] (SW USA)
    Pedder Galaxias - Galaxias pedderensis [31 ind in 1991] (Tasmania)
    Amphibians
    Mountain Chicken - Leptodactylus fallax [47 ind in 2014] (Montserrat + Dominica)
    Southern Corroboree Frog - Pseudophryne corroboree [64 ind in 2004] (SE Australia)
    Wyoming Toad - Anaxyrus baxteri [16 ind in 1991] (C USA)
    Panamanian Golden Frog - Atelopus zeteki [110? ind in 2001?] (Panama)
    Mississippi /Dusky Gopher Frog - Lithobates sevosus [100+ ind in 2009?] (S USA)

Reptiles
    Antiguan Racer - Alsophis antiguae [50 ind in 1995] (Antigua + Barbuda)
    Round Island Boa - Casarea dussumieri [~50 ind in 1970s] (Round Isl, Mauritius)
    Rough-scaled Python - Morelia carinata [10 ind in 1983] (NW Australia)
    Jamaican Iguana - Cyclura collei [<100 ind in 1990] (Jamaica)
    Grand Cayman Blue Iguana - Cyclura lewisi [5-15 ind in 2003] (Cayman Isl)
    Hood Giant Tortoise - Chelonoidis [nigra] hoodensis [14 ind in early 1970s] (Galapagos Isl)
    Pinzon Giant Tortoise - Chelonoidis [nigra] duncanensis [<100 ind in 1990] (Galapagos Isl)
    Western Swamp Turtle - Pseudemydura umbrina [~50 ind in mid 1980s] (SW Australia)
    Philippine Crocodile - Crocodylus mindorensis [>100 ind in 1995] (Philippines)

10. tetrapod

Part II
    Birds
    Hawaiian Crow/’Alala - Corvus hawaiiensis [31 ind in 1994] (Hawaii)
    Rodrigues Fody - Foudia flavicans [~12 ind in 1968] (Rodrigues)
    Seychelles Magpie-Robin - Copsychus sechellarum [12-15 indiv in 1965] (Seychelles)
    Seychelles Warbler - Acrocephalus sechellensis [26 ind in 1968] (Seychelles)
    Rarotonga Monarch - Pomarea dimidiata [21 ind in 1983] (Cook Isl)
    Tahiti Monarch - Pomarea nigra [27 ind in 1998] (Tahiti)
    Seychelles Paradise Flycatcher - Terpsiphone corvina [50-60 ind in 1978] (Seychelles)
    Black Robin - Petroica traversi [5 ind in 1980] (Chatham Isl)
    Helmeted Honeyeater - Lichenostomus melanops cassidix [50 ind in 1989] (SE Australia)
    Micronesian Kingfisher - Todiramphus cinnamominus [29 ind in 1986] (Guam)
    Mauritius Kestrel - Falco punctatus [4 ind in 1974] (Mauritius)
    Kakapo - Strigops habroptila [62 ind in 1999] (New Zealand)
    Forbe’s Parakeet - Cyanoramphus forbesi [20-30 ind in 1930] (Chatham Isl)
    Norfolk Parakeet - Cyanoramphus cookii [25-44 ind in 1989] (Norfolk Isl)
    Echo Parakeet - Psittacula eques echo [~10 ind in 1986] (Mauritius)
    Imperial Amazon- Amazona imperialis [60 ind in 1987] (Dominica)
    Puerto Rican Amazon - Amazona vittata [16 ind in 1972] (Puerto Rico, Antigua + Barbuda)
    Spix’s Macaw - Cyanopsitta spixii [16 ind in 1990] (Brazil)
    Lear’s Macaw - Anodorhynchus leari [60 ind in 1983] (E Brazil)
    Chatham Island Pigeon/Parea - Hemiphaga chathamensis [40 ind in late 1980s] (Chatham Isl)
    Pink Pigeon - Nesoenas mayeri [10 ind in 1991] (Mauritius)
    Socorro Dove - Zenaida graysoni [<100 ind in 1972] (Socorro Isl, Mexico)
    California Condor - Gymnogyps californianus [27 ind in 1987] (W USA)
    Asian Crested Ibis - Nipponia nippon [13 ind in 1981] (NE Asia)
    Chatham Island Oystercatcher/Torea - Haematopus chathamensis [~100 ind in 1987] (Chatham Isl)
    Black Stilt - Himantopus novaezelandiae [23 ind in 1981] (New Zealand)
    Guam Rail - Hypotaenidia owstoni [21 ind in mid 1980s] (Guam)
    Lord Howe Woodhen - Gallirallus sylvestris [15 ind in 1980] (Lord Howe Isl)
    Whooping Crane - Grus americana [23 ind in 1941] (C + E North America)
    Cahow/Bermuda Petrel - Pterodroma cahow [~36 ind in 1951] (Bermuda)
    Short-tailed Albatross - Phoebastria albatrus [~50 ind in 1949] (SenkakuIsl, Japan)
    Madagascar Pochard - Aythya innotata [~50 ind in 2015] (Madagascar)
    Laysan Duck - Anas laysanensis [12 ind in 1912] (Hawaii)
    Campbell Island Teal - Anas nesiotis [~50 ind in 1998] (New Zealand)
    Nene/Hawaiian Goose - Branta sandvicensis [30 ind in 1952] (Hawaiian Isl)
    Trumpeter Swan - Cygnus buccinator [69 ind in 1935] (N North America)
    Alagoas Curassow - Mitu mitu [44 ind in 2000] (NE Brazil)
    Attwater’s Prairie Chicken - Tympanuchus cupido attwateri [42 ind in 1996] (S USA)
    Little Spotted Kiwi - Apteryx owenii [5-7 ind in 1912] (New Zealand)
    Mauritius Fody - Foudia rubra [216-244 ind in 2002] (Mauritius)
    Rodrigues Warbler - Acrocephalus rodericanus [>150 ind in 1999] (Rodrigues)
    Orange-bellied Parrot - Neophema chrysogaster [<210 ind in 2015] (SE Australia + Tasmania)
    Saint Lucia Amazon - Amazona versicolor [150 ind in late 1970s] (St Lucia)
    Shore Plover - Thinornis novaeseelandiae [120-140 ind in 1999] (New Zealand)
    Waldrapp/Northern Bald Ibis - Geronticus eremita [300+ ind in 1970s] (North Africa + Middle East)
    South Island Takahē - Porphyrio hochstetteri [118 in 1982] (New Zealand)
    Magenta Petrel/Chatham Island Taiko - Pterodroma magentae [120 ind in 2004] (Chatham Isl)
    Zino’s Petrel/Freira – Pterodroma madeira [<160 ind in 2010] (Madeira)

11. tetrapod

Part III
    Mammals
    Gilbert’s Potoroo - Potorous gilbertii [30-40 ind in 2008] (SW Australia)
    Rodrigues flying fox - Pteropus rodricensis [~70 ind in 1979] (Rodrigues)
    Northern Hairy-nosed Wombat - Lasiorhinus krefftii [30-40 ind in early 1980s] (NE Australia)
    Black Lion Tamarin - Leontopithecus chrysopygus [<100 ind in 1970] (E Brazil)
    Cat Ba Langur - Trachypithecus poliocephalus poliocephalus [40 ind in 2003] (Vietnam)
    Black-footed Ferret - Mustela nigripes [18 ind in 1985] (C North America)
    Mexican Wolf – Canis lupus baileyi [7-9 ind in 1980] (S USA + Mexico)
    Northern Elephant Seal - Mirounga augustirostris [~20 ind in 1880s] (NE Pacific)
    Guadeloupe Fur Seal - Arctocephalus townsendi [14 ind in 1954] (Guadeloupe Isl, Mexico)
    Iberian Lynx - Lynx pardinus [~ 52 ind in 2002] (Spain + Portugal)
    Amur/Siberian Tiger – Panthera tigris altaica [20-30 ind in 1948] (NE Asia)
    Asiatic Lion – Panthera leo persica [~20 ind in early 1900s] (W India)
    Cape Mountain Zebra - Equus zebra zebra [45 ind in 1937] (S South Africa)
    Przewalski’s Horse/Takhi - Equus ferus przewalskii [9-13 ind in 1945] (C Asia)
    Southern White Rhinoceros - Ceratotherium simum simum [~ 50 ind in late 1800s] (S Africa)
    European Bison/Wisent - Bison bonasus [54 ind in 1927] (N Europe)
    Arabian Oryx - Oryx leucoryx [~73 ind in 1962] (Arabian Peninsula)
    Bontebok - Damaliscus pygargus pygargus [<20 ind in 1931] (S South Africa)
    Pere David’s Deer/Milu - Elaphurus davidianus [11-18 ind in 1951] (E China)
    Persian Fallow Deer - Dama mesopotamica [~25 ind in 1956] (W Asia)
    Golden Lion Tamarin - Leontopithecus rosalia [200 ind in 1981] (SE Brazil)
    Juan Fernández Fur Seal - Arctocephalus philippii [200 ind in 1966] (Juan Fernández Isl, Chile)
    Pygmy Hog - Porcula salvania [50-250 ind in 2015] (N India)
    American Bison – Bison bison [300 ind in 1900] (North America)
    Tamaraw /Mindoro Dwarf Buffalo - Bubalus mindorensis [>100 ind in 1969] (Mindoro,Philippines)
    Alpine Ibex - Capra ibex [104 ind in 1976] (C + S Europe)
    Nilgiri Tahr - Nilgiritragus hylocrius [~100 ind in early 1900s] (S India)

12. tetrapod

Any additions or alterations to the above three posts would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the previous feedback and links.
    Re: cichlids - I'll need to look into it more. Not enough info out there on the web!
    Re: Invertebrates and the <500 population figure. Probably correct that few species fall to this level, but then are these threatened species really at the brink of extinction??? Difficult one to argue.

13. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Wow! I never knew that populations of Corroboree frog, Zetek's golden frog and Little spotted kiwi were so low once! What a shame that the two first species was present at San Diego Zoo until shortly before my recent visit :(

14. Chlidonias

a couple of notes follow. But before that, your figures are the lowest number of the species' populations (combined wild and captive), yes? The addition of their current population figures would have been interesting for comparison.

*Southern Corroboree Frog - Pseudophryne corroboree [64 ind in 2004] (SE Australia) - in 2004 the total population was certainly well above 64 (but still well below your 500 limit). That year the wild population was found to be a minimum of 64 individuals, but captive-breeding groups had been established at the Amphibian Research Centre in 1997 onwards (and then Melbourne Zoo in 2001 and Taronga in 2006). See http://amphibian-reptile-conservation.org/pdfs/Volume/Vol_5_no_3/ARC_5_3_70-87_e72_low_res.pdf (population numbers aren't given for the earlier years, but by 2004 it was likely to have been in the low hundreds).

*Rough-scaled Python - Morelia carinata [10 ind in 1983] (NW Australia) - this one I'm not sure where your information came from. This is a species which has just rarely been recorded in the wild because it has a small range in a remote area.

*Pere David’s Deer/Milu - Elaphurus davidianus [11-18 ind in 1951] (E China) - this doesn't affect the minimum number of individuals, but it has been mentioned on Zoochat that only 1.2 of those remaining animals actually did any breeding: http://www.zoochat.com/2/animals-desperately-need-our-help-427928/index4.html (lintworm provides a link in post #52)

For additional NZ birds you might want to look at South Island Saddleback, North Island Saddleback and Campbell Island Snipe. They would probably come within your limits.

15. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Check also those (I am not sure if all passed <500 mark and what taxonomic status are they).

all Galapagos tortoises
    red-crowned crane
    amsterdam island albatross
    californian wapiti
    amur leopard
    scimitar-horned oryx
    indian rhino
    manipur brow-antlered deer
    calamian deer
    ascension frigatebird
    giant panda
    european beaver (some ssp only?)
    tatra chamois
    vicugna
    blackbuck
    bengal tiger
    mhorr gazelle
    addra gazelle
    some Middle Eastern gazelles
    abruzzo chamois

16. temp

temp Well-Known Member

The following is a comment to the above dealing with the status of certain freshwater fish vs. aquarium trade. It is only indirectly related to the subject of this thread. If not interested, skip ahead to the final section below the last line.

It can be discussed if captive breeding for maintaining a population in the aquarium trade counts as "saving". However, neither of the above are examples of species that 1) Are extinct in the wild. 2) The primary cause of decline was capture for the aquarium trade.

The cherry barb remains reasonably common in the wild. Although capture for the aquarium trade has played a role, the main cause of its decline is habitat destruction. There are other Sri Lankan freshwater fish where capture for the aquarium trade appears to play a greater part (e.g. Ceylon snakehead, fire rasbora complex), but even in those habitat destructions takes the leading role. Unfortunately, with the current plans of dams on the island, it is entirely possible that the endemic freshwater fish (+freshwater crabs+freshwater snails) will follow the route already taken by their frogs. Sri Lanka's frogs pretty much hold the world record for most species extinct compare to overall species number.

Although once feared extinct in the wild, a tiny remaining wild population of the red-tailed black shark was discovered a few years ago. As noted by the IUCN and Kottelat, there is no evidence that capture for the aqurium trade played a major role in the general disappearance. Rather, it is restricted to Chao Phraya, one of the most affected rivers in the world with dams, water extraction for irrigation and pollution (unsurprising, as it flows through Bangkok). Many species that are of no interest in fishing or the aquarium trade have disappeared from its main course, but fortunately most of those survive in other rivers. However, two near-endemics are all gone: Balantiocheilos ambusticauda and Platytropius siamensis.

So, the above are not examples of species where capture for the aquarium trade appears to have played a major role. However, there are other examples, e.g. Siamese tigerfish, Banggai cardinalfish and red-lined torpedo barb, where the aquarium trade has played a greater role (although even in those, other factors are involved). In the last two species, large-scale captive breeding has removed much of the pressure, but the Siamese tigerfish continues to edge towards complete extinction and it has never been captive bred. Little is known about the status of Myanmar's (Burma's) freshwater fauna in general, but there is also potential cause of concern for some of the restricted range species that regularly turn up in the aquarium trade, but never (e.g. clouded archerfish, humphead glassfish) or only infrequently are bred in captivity (e.g. sawbwa barb). The appearance in the aquarium trade of Chinese cavefish, Sinocyclocheilus and Triplophysa, is also a cause of concern. Tiny numbers, but you don't need much when dealing with species often restricted to a single cave system.

Freshwater fish species that only survive because of conservation dedicated captive breeding belong in three groups:

Lake Victoria (and its smaller satellite lakes) cichlids.
    Pupfish.
    Splitfins.

However, some of the Lake Victoria cichlids have proven difficult to maintain, as they tend to revert to the generalist morphotype when kept long-term in captivity (i.e., the specialized forms disappear). In addition to the few species from the above three groups that are extinct in the wild, several species from them are also maintained as "insurance" should they disappear entirely from the wild. The same is the case for a number of Cameroon lake cichlids, Congo rapids cichlids, Madagascar cichlids, Madagascar rainbowfish, New Guinea rainbowfish, suckermouth catfish (time will tell if the zebra pleco can survive in the wild after the Belo Monte Dam opening), Somali+Oman cavefish (although their limited captive breeding makes it questionable if this is feasible), Sewellia monolobata, Sulawesi ricefish, Limia livebearers, etc. If any of those match this threads <500 individuals (wild only?) rule is unclear, but I suspect not. However, some are still far more threatened than many larger animals with less than 500 individuals. They often have tiny highly specialized ranges where a single event easily can wipe out the entire species.

If also accepting species initially aquacultured for food production or aquarium trade (i.e., initially not conservation dedicated) there are several additions such as various sturgeon, various large Asian barbs and catfish, Chinese high-fin banded shark, arapaima, Asian arowana, dwarf loach, white cloud mountain minnow, flame tetra, diamond tetra, etc. Aquatic but not a fish; it seems the Chinese giant salamander, now farmed in large numbers, may follow the same path. The future for the wild population seems increasingly bleak.

17. tetrapod

Cheers for the feedback Chli! Much appreciated. Correct that the numbers were for the minimum number of the total population (captive + wild), which apart from better known examples can be difficult to determine.

Re: Corroboree frogs - agreed that the figure was for wild population. Hadn't seen any mention before that they were in captivity before this point. As you note no mention of actual numbers in 2004, but obviously some individuals were kept from 1997. An interesting point that I have found while researching is that amphibian species population numbers are only for adults because of the high mortality of spawn/tadpoles. Consequently I would imagine that the total population in 2004 was probably still low, possibly below 100.

Rough-scaled python - agreed they have been rarely recorded. Original individuals were caught for museums (two) but 10 more were wild-caught by Aust Reptile Park staff:
    Rough Scaled Python
    An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie [there is a pdf link here so ignore the error message!]
    Otherwise no others have been found in the wild (admittedly a remote location, but very small one).

Pere David's - first time I have ever seen that the world population stems from only 3 individuals breeding. Would make a mockery of Woburn's history of the species. Would prefer some more confirmation about this.

Saddlebacks (both spp) would come under this criteria as they have both seen substantial increases with successful programs. From the very little that I can find on the snipe the population was very small (30 in 2006), but now increasing (not sure about numbers though) following rat removal so I guess they should be added too.

18. tetrapod

Take the Golden frog population with a hefty pinch of salt! I only ever kept find mentions that a 'small number' were brought into captivity, which wasn't helpful for my purposes...

I was really surprised by the kiwi too. Others that shocked me were the Asiatic lion, Siberian tiger and Northern elephant seal. Didn't realise that things got so bad for these species, which I guess why it makes the recovery so more amazing!

19. tetrapod

The only species that come close to the population limit are amsterdam island albatross (population seems to be decreasing so not sure this has been a success), californian/tule wapiti (modern consensus suggests that all North American wapiti are the same subspecies, just clinal variations), amur leopard (difficult to get a fix on what the minimum population in captivity and the wild was - but definitely a candidate) and the chamois (subspecies seems to be a bit vague, obviously linked to various mountain ranges).

Everyone else, while some are conservation successes, were never that close to the brink of extinction. Oddly enough this includes scimitar-horned oryx and addax which are both technically extinct in the wild!

20. Chlidonias

I guess I should have checked those myself then, instead of just repeating what I had read in the past! :D

Thanks for the correction.