Join our zoo community

Species we have lost over the last quarter of a century

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by TeaLovingDave, 12 May 2015.

1. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Species we have lost..

Newquay Zoo has White-headed Bulbuls, and bred three in 2015.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Unless they have been misidentified all along, I believe the species which Newquay has held and bred for many years is the very similar-looking Asian Black Bulbul (Hypsipetes leucocephalus leucothorax):

[​IMG]

The White-headed Bulbul is Cerasophila thompsoni, and looks like this:

[​IMG]

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Species we have lost......

Sorry, my mistake, the Newquay birds are Hypsipetes leucocephalus.

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have finally got a scanner that works and I have made a start at filling a few of the holes in the Gallery. Here are an Antarctic skua, a magnificent bird of paradise, plus, in case anyone watching this thread is interested in small carnivores, a crab eating mongoose and an African golden cat. All scanned from Kodachrome slides taken in the 1970s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to follow soon ;)

Alan

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Jun 2016
  5. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Incredible photos GL! :)

6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just one worth gentle lemur : WOW !

7. gentle lemur

Thank you for the previous comments. Here are a few more, a long lost bird and a couple of mammal subspecies from collections that have now closed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apostlebird, Indonesian river otter (Lutra lutra barang) and Indian desert cat (Felis sylvestris ornata) - are these still subspecies or have they become victims of the splitters? Although it doesn't belong in this thread, I have also posted a photo of a Lear's macaw at the old Birdland. I will be posting more images from closed collections in the next batches.

8. gentle lemur

My last 4 scans for the moment. 3 species that are new to our Gallery and 1 that only has pictures from its native land.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Musk duck displaying, long-tailed widowbird, magpie starling and Wilson's bird of paradise.
    But be warned, there will be more eventually ;)

Alan

9. TeaLovingDave

Excellent shots :D and very much envy-inducing!

10. gentle lemur

I have just uploaded 5 more scans, which fill gaps in our Gallery. I think some fall within the dates considered by this thread, but I hope they are all of some interest.
    The first two, a black agouti and a casiragua, were taken on my only visit to Kilverstone (1977) and I think these may be the first photos from this collection in the Gallery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continuing the mammal theme are a flat-headed cat (Rotterdam 1974), a southern mountain viscacha (Chester 1983) and a topi (Hamburg 1973).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy

Alan

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Jun 2016
  11. TeaLovingDave

They are indeed! :)

12. TeaLovingDave

Just to return to a discussion from a few months back.....

I'll obviously be writing about my recent trip in a lot more detail somewhere down the line, but I thought it worth noting that of the species I highlighted the Dwarf Cassowary, Wood Stork and African Woolly-necked Stork are still alive and kicking at their respective collections, as are such oddities as the Sickle-billed Vanga, Cuckoo-Roller, Brown Tinamou and Rufescent Tiger-Heron.

However, there *were* two notable "last chance to see" species whose final geriatric individuals I was entirely unable to spot at Walsrode despite many attempts; Misool Wattled Brush-Turkey and Long-tailed Ground Roller. In the case of the former taxon, it was still signposted and may still be present considering how thickly-vegetated the Regenwaldhalle is. However, the latter taxon is no longer signposted within the aviary it inhabited, and considering the age of the last individual it is probable the species has now been lost from Europe.

I will, however, hold off on posting photographs of either taxon into this thread as yet :p

13. TeaLovingDave

Further assorted passerines we have lost over the last few decades....

Whistler taxa lost since 1990

Golden Whistler (Pachycephala pectoralis) - last held in 2004 at Walsrode. The only images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery are of a wild individual in Australia and a privately-held individual in Europe.

Fairywren taxa lost since 1990

Superb Fairywren (Malurus cyaneus) - last held in 2007 at Plzen. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Tit, Titmouse and Chickadee taxa lost since 1990

Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) - last held in the mid-1990s at Metelen. The only images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery are of wild individuals in the USA.

Yellow-cheeked Tit (Machlolophus spilonotus) - last held in 2002 at Dierenpark Emmen. The only image of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery is of a captive individual in China.

Varied Tit (Poecile varius) - last held in 2004 at Zoo Berlin. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Hume's Ground Tit (Pseudopodoces humilis) - last held in 2000 at Tierpark Gorlitz. The only image of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery is of a taxidermy specimen in China.

Bushtit taxa lost since 1990

Black-throated Bushtit (Aegithalos concinnus) - last held in 2008 at Arnhem, one of several collections to hold the taxon within the timespan in question. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

White-browed Tit-warbler (Leptopoecile sophiae) - last held in 2002 at Plzen. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Nuthatch taxa lost since 1990

Azure Nuthatch (Sitta azurea) - last held in the early 2000's at Walsrode. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Indian Nuthatch (Sitta castanea) - last held in the early 2000's at Plzen. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Velvet-fronted Nuthatch (Sitta frontalis) - last held in 2007 at Frankfurt. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Treecreeper taxa lost since 1990

Short-toed Treecreeper (Certhia brachydactyla) - last held in 2012 at Dresden. The only images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery are of wild individuals in Europe.

Sunbird taxa lost since 1990

Gould`s Sunbird (Aethopyga gouldiae) - last held in 1999 at Plzen. The only image of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery is of a captive individual in Asia.

Kenya Violet-backed Sunbird (Anthreptes orientalis) - last held in 1997 at Frankfurt. The only image of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery is of a wild individual in Africa.

Plain-backed Sunbird (Anthreptes reichenowi) - last held in 2002 at Augsburg. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Spectacled Spiderhunter (Arachnothera flavigaster) - last held in 1996 at Heidelberg. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Little Spiderhunter (Arachnothera longirostra) - last held in 2004 at Arnhem. The only image of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery is of a wild individual in Asia.

Streaked Spiderhunter (Arachnothera magna) - last held in 2002 at Zoo Berlin. The only images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery are of wild individuals in Asia.

Purple Sunbird (Cinnyris asiaticus) - last held in 1993 at Frankfurt. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Purple-banded Sunbird (Cinnyris bifasciatus) - last held in 1993 at Frankfurt. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Southern Double-collared Sunbird (Cinnyris chalybeus) - last held in 2006 at Rotterdam. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Olive-backed Sunbird (Cinnyris jugularis) - last held in 1996 at Heidelberg. The only images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery are of wild and captive individuals in Asia and Australasia.

Mariqua Sunbird (Cinnyris mariquensis) - last held in 1997 at Harewood. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Beautiful Sunbird (Cinnyris pulchellus) - last held in 2005 at ZSL London. The only images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery are of captive individuals in the USA.

Northern Double-collared Sunbird (Cinnyris reichenowi) - last held in 1991 at Frankfurt. The only image of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery is of a wild individual in Africa.

Souimanga Sunbird (Cinnyris sovimanga) - last held in 2009 at Vogelbush Eureka. The only image of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery is of a wild individual in Madagascar.

Green-headed Sunbird (Cyanomitra verticalis) - last held in 2003 at Tiergarten Schönbrunn. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery; however, an image of Bannerman's Sunbird has been incorrectly labelled as this taxon.

Golden-winged sunbird (Drepanorhynchus reichenowi) - last held in 2012 at Tierpark Hagenbeck. There are no images of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery.

Copper-throated Sunbird (Leptocoma calcostetha) - last held in 2012 at ZSL Whipsnade. There is a single image of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery, taken at ZSL London in 2008:

[​IMG]

Purple-throated Sunbird (Leptocoma sperata) - last held in 1997 at Augsburg. The only image of this taxon within the Zoochat gallery is of a captive individual in Singapore.

14. robmv

robmv Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've just come back from a weekend at Walsrode, and also failed to spot either of these species. It wouldn't be too difficult for the brush-turkey to disappear in the rainforest house, but I visited it several times over two days and couldn't find it.

On the positive side, I added eleven species to my captive life list:

Horned Screamer (Anhima cornuta)
    White-crested Guan (Penelope pileata)
    Black-fronted Piping Guan (Pipile jacutinga)
    Blue-billed Curassow (Crax alberti)
    Pale-winged Trumpeter (Psophia leucoptera)
    Sparkling Violetear (Colibri coruscans)
    Gilded Barbet (Capito auratus)
    Chestnut-eared Aracari (Pteroglossus castanotis)
    Piapiac (Ptilostomus afer)
    Golden-crested Myna (Ampeliceps coronatus)
    Saffron-crowned Tanager (Tangara xanthocephala)

My only disappointment was the Raggiana Bird-of-paradise being off-show. Never mind: a good excuse to go back!

15. TeaLovingDave

Indeed; considering how showy the individual on-show in 2015 was said to be this is all the more disappointing, especially when the Greater which has replaced it didn't show for me on any of the occasions I visited the exhibit over two days!

I did hear the Greater however.

But as you say; a good excuse for a return visit!

16. robmv

Same here, though it was seen once by a couple of dedicated photographers who spent all day camped in front of the aviaries.

I did attempt a discussion about the Raggiana with a keeper, but didn't quite follow his answer. I think he said that it had been moved to one of the off-show aviaries as it was feather-plucking.

17. TeaLovingDave

Glad it wasn't just me!

Can't complain though; other than the two species mentioned which may have died off and the Greater Bird of Paradise, the only major onshow species I missed at Walsrode was the Guianan Cock of the Rock, a species which is held in a few collections and as such one I could feasibly see in the future.

18. robmv

I saw Andean, but not Guianan. No label either.

19. TeaLovingDave

Sounds like they have been taken offshow or left the collection then; they were still signposted at the start of this month. Quite a large aviary - perfect opportunity to put Red BoP or one of the other Raggiana individuals on display ;)

20. gentle lemur

My latest posting in the gallery includes this image of king cormorants (or shags if you prefer) at the original Birdland 1973.

[​IMG]

There are also some old photos from Chester Zoo, but they show species we still have :)

Alan

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Jun 2016