Join our zoo community

Species you hate to see in zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by animalszoos, 9 Mar 2017.

1. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

A number of people ride Bactrians in the UK. Who frowns upon riding and why? - and do they frown upon riding other domestic animals in the UK too, or just domestic Camels?

FBBird and ThylacineAlive like this.
  2. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Why is Elephantlover criticized for hating guinea pigs? A few posts before, a member writes that he hates dwarf goats, and that was okay, as no one has been protesting. Goats are just boring domestic animals,a pure-wasting of space to keep them, so every real zoo enthiasiast has to agree with that fact. Well, but Elephantlover must justify himself just because he hates guinea pigs.Well, may I remind you what the thread title is? ;)By the way, I hate to see elephants in zoos-they are over represented, and it seems, they are more equal than other species.....:( My motto is-only a zoo without elphants is a good zoo...;):)

By the way- zoos keep guinea pigs only to get food for their small cats, not for educational reasons.;)

3. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nope - my gaboon viper and the gila monsters like them as well.
    Dwarf goats make good meals, too, just for larger carnivores.

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Oct 2019
  4. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ok slow down. You are saying that we should not be debating hating guinea pigs, and then you say you hate to see elephants? There are critically endangered elephant subspecies out there and you are saying you hate them enough that a roadside zoo is better than Prague or SDZ because they don't have them...

5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think he is just trying to make some sort of point and doesn't actually feel that way about elephants.

~Thylo

Brum likes this.
  6. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Could be interpreted by anyone to be anti elephant...
    Any animal rights activist could quote that and use it as 'proof' that zoos are evil...

7. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well when you mention it like that, camels do have quite some importance. But why are camel ridings dodgy?

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Define "guineapig" though , I can understand the domesticated form of the guinea pig being boring , but there are some species of the Cavies which are far more interesting and worthy of attention.

For example : The Brazilian guineapig , Shiny guineapig , montane guinea pig and of course the critically endangered Santa Caterina guineapig

Then there are some of the wider cavidae family like the rock cavy and the mountain cavies some of which are near threatened species which are interesting.

9. Elephantlover

Elephantlover Member

My home zoo philly just got plain old Guinea pigs. Like the ones you buy at a pet store. Those are the type of guinea pigs I don’t like plain old pet guinea pigs

10. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don’t actually hate or even really dislike to see any of these animals, but some species that seem boringly common enough for me to usually gloss over include emus, blue and gold & scarlet macaws, mara and North American river otters.
    On the flip side, I never really get tired (yet) of seeing meerkats or ring-tailed lemurs.

11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Yes agree , those kind are not very interesting at all.

12. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

All a matter of representation. I'm sure that you would stop dead in your tracks on your way to your beloved elephants if your local zoo presented those plain old guinea pigs like this:

Is there any profound, serious element in this playful display? Why, yes - it educates the visitors that even those plain ol' rodents are active creatures. It might even inspire them to improve the husbandry of their pet guinea pigs at home. A win-win situation for both the zoo, the visitors and animal welfare in private households.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2019
  13. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

No, no, you misunderstood me. It is perfectly legitimate for zoo fans to hate certain animals. I just do not understand why Elephantlover is criticized for hating guinea pigs ... And hate can't be reasoned, it only expresses a personal feeling. It doesn't matter if elephants are threatened. I still hate them for standing above all other species.:confused: I also hate apes ( by the way-these animals shouldn't be caged !) and birds, if threatend or not.

14. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is awesome but I wonder if any of those cavies ever try to jump off?

15. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

I really hope that hating elephants, apes and (all?) birds - puts you into a very select minority of users of this site...

16. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Those pigs are important education animals. They were raised to be education animals, and are great for teaching kids about domestication and how animals can be used by societies, especially ones different from the typical usa/euro-centric stuff kids learn in school.

Elephantlover and evilmonkey239 like this.
  17. Cassidy Casuar

Cassidy Casuar Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I am against the keeping of both domestic guinea pigs and domestic rabbits in zoos. Young children will see these animals at zoos, and subsequently beg their parents to buy them one. The young child will then be left to look after their small herbivorous mammal, usually without help from their parents, apart from buying food for it. Most of these guinea pigs and rabbits meet an early demise when they are killed by a visiting dog or are accidentally trod on/dropped/hugged too roughly. Rabbits also commonly die in these conditions after contracting GI stasis or uterine cancer.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  18. TinoPup

That's a heck of a lot of speculation. Anything to back all of that up?

Ebirah766 likes this.
  19. Cassidy Casuar

Cassidy Casuar Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Perhaps ownership of rabbits and guinea pigs is not such a tragic affair in your country, but I can assure you that where I live, the number of these animals that die of old age or an unpreventable and incurable illness is absolutely tiny.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2019
    evilmonkey239 likes this.
  20. TinoPup

Again, do you have any proof to back that up, along with linking it to parents buying them because kids saw them at zoos?

ThylacineAlive and Chlidonias like this.