Join our zoo community

Speculative Animal Stuff

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Pantheraman, 28 Jan 2023.

1. Pantheraman

Pantheraman Well-Known Member

This thread is where you can talk about your own hypotheses on an animal species regarding their ecology, behavior, etc.

If you're thinking of a what-if scenario for example, then this is the thread for you.

2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What?

Neil chace likes this.
  3. Sheather

Sheather Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The point of this thread seems pretty obvious to me - random animal theories you may have, rewilding ideas, species you may think do well in captivity, ect. I think about those sorts of things a lot so may add to this thread at some point...

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

So the same general sort of stuff that Pantheraman was railing against in the rewilding thread because the people who post it are, he says, so stupid?

ZooElephantMan and TinoPup like this.
  6. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't think stuff like this has ever entered my thoughts, ever. So no, it isn't obvious.

Neil chace likes this.
  7. Pantheraman

Pantheraman Well-Known Member

I understand why you'd think that, but no actually.

I'm talking about your own natural history hypothesis. For example, why you might think a species evolved in a certain way or why some members of a species act a certain way in one area rather than in another area.

Basically, the very first thing @birdsandbats said. Random animal theories. Nothing related to pleistocene rewilding. There's already a thread, or threads, where people can talk about that.

8. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'll start off with a simple theory I have - I've noticed that the Great Tits in Wisconsin are always either on the ground or in low bushes when not singing or visiting a feeder. I've never read about anything like that about the species' biology. Perhaps they do that to avoid competition with Black-capped Chickadees? One would think the larger and more aggressive tits would be dominant but perhaps not.

Pantheraman likes this.
  9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

It does seem like basically the same thing though.

On the rewilding thread you were listing random things people on Facebook had come up with as ideas for speculative rewilding, and saying how they are so stupid and they infuriate you. And yet here you are asking for people to come up with random things they have as ideas for "speculative animal stuff".

10. Tetzoo Quizzer

Tetzoo Quizzer Well-Known Member

Here in the U.K. Great Tits are far and away the Tit species most likely to forage on the ground (and with a stronger and thicker bill naturally eat more seeds than the other species). Therefore the North American behaviour described just seems to me to be a continuation of their normal niche preference rather than being dominated by Chickadees.

birdsandbats likes this.