Join our zoo community

Starlings in captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by vogelcommando, 29 Nov 2016.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Starlings : a well-known group of 118 species which have all in it. A load of little-known species, some of which have never been kept in captivity, several rare species for which breeding-programms have been set-up, a large number of briljant-coloured species, a large number of hardy species which are easy to keep in captivity, a species which was well-known as a pet which could spreak ( Hill myna ), a species kept and bred in almost every collection ( superb starling ), several species which have become pests outside their native distribution ( Common starling, Common myna ) and so on.
    By looking through my photos I started to count the number of species which I took care for and came to 32 species ( if there is intrest I can make a list of them ).
    I also had a look at Zootierliste and discovered that a lot of species are not kept ( anymore ) in European zoos and that other species are kept at only a small number of collections - some even only at one collection !
    Because Zootierliste only deals with Europe I would be very intrested to learn how starlings are doing in captivity out-side Europe - I guess esp. in Asia there must be a large number of species being kept.
    Would also be intresting to know how this bird-family is doing in America.
    Any information is welcome !

2. Zygodactyl

Zygodactyl Well-Known Member

I'm surprised you didn't mention the Bali mynah specifically. It's a great example of both the power of ex situ conservation, and the stupidity of trying to release birds back into their native range before the causes of their endangerment are adequately addressed. Despite being constantly on the verge of extinction in the wild even with constant reintroductions, they're ubiquituous in US zoos and seem to be in Europe as well. The superb starling and hill mynah are just as ubiquitous in US zoos as they are in Europe.

Miami has black-collared mynah as well as a specialized starling aviary. Sadly, I missed the starling aviary last time I was there, so it will be first in my list for next time. The black-collared mynah and hill mynah are both kept in the main Wings of Asia aviary; the Bali mynah was too aggressive and moved to the starling aviary.

3. vogelcommando

Thank you very much for this info Zygodactyl ! Bali myna was one of the species I ment with "rare species for which there is a breeding-programm". I agree with you that the cause of their threat should be solved but in the meantime I think its however a good move to release new birds into the wild : as long as there are "wild' birds, the area in which they are found is in need to be protected - as soon as the last bird is gone there is no need anymore to protect the area - at least not in the eyes of farmers - land-developmenters and so on...

4. Zygodactyl

The problem is that with Bali mynahs, the biggest threat is capture for the illegal pet trade. I'm skeptical that the constant stream of reintroduced birds is contributing anything to the birds' long-term survival.

Having seen how dramatically they've failed for species ranging from the heath hen to the Spix's macaw to the Kaui o'o, I tend to be bearish of the long-term viability of in situ conservation efforts whenever the primary threats haven't been dealt with.

SealPup likes this.
  5. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For the Bali starling there is an introduced population on Nusa Penida island off Bali itself, which I believe is not part of the original natural range. I am not sure what the current status is, but they have definitely bred successfully. Last count was 100+ birds - has anyone an update?

6. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I saw one on Nusa Lembongan in July. I had no idea this population existed and I'd missed them in Bali National Park (didn't want to pay for the boat). It was like seeing a ghost; I was almost shaking when I rushed to the beach to tell my sister about it. I only read about the reintroduction programme later that evening. I saw mine in the trees over a temple; apparently they release them in 'sacred' sites because the community is more invested then.

7. vogelcommando

List of Starling-species I've taken care for :
    1 ) Amethyst starling
    2 ) Ashy glossy starling
    3 ) Bali mynah
    4 ) Asian glossy starling
    5 ) Bank mynah
    6 ) Black-collared starling
    7 ) Brahminy starling
    8 ) Grey-headed starling
    9 ) Coleto
    10 ) Common mynah
    11 ) Common starling
    12 ) Crested mynah
    13 ) Hill mynah ( several subspecies )
    14 ) Emerald starling
    15 ) Golden-breasted mynah ( Robertson's subspecies )
    16 ) Golden-breasted starling
    17 ) Golden-crested mynah
    18 ) Greater blue-eared glossy starling
    19 ) Jungle mynah
    20 ) Long-tailed glossy starling
    21 ) Malabar starling
    22 ) Purple glossy starling
    23 ) Red-winged starling
    24 ) Rosy starling
    25 ) Scissor-billed starling
    26 ) Splendid glossy starling
    27 ) Sulawesi mynah
    28 ) Superb starling
    29 ) Wattled starling
    30 ) White-necked mynah
    31 ) White-shouldered starling
    32 ) Yellow-faced mynah
    ( well possible that I've taken care for some more - esp. the blue/green glossy starling species - but then unable to ID them to species level ).

Zygodactyl likes this.
  8. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Two starlings urgently need captive breeding: Enggano hill myna, Gracula (religiosa) enganensis and Nias hill myna, Gracula (religiosa) robusta.

Both are distinctive forms of hill myna endemic to small islets in Indonesia and both have been in a few years almost completely wiped out by domestic bird trade. Which earlier wiped out Bali mynah, Sumatran short-tailed magpie and several laughingthrushes.

There is urgent need to locate some cage birds before they die out in private hands and start organized captive breeding plan. Both islets are unprotected and practically un-protectable against bird poachers. Hill myanhs breed well in good conditions.

A good task for zoo community!

Zygodactyl and vogelcommando like this.
  9. vogelcommando

From the Nias hill mynah I know they have been imported into Europe but have no knowledge if it ever has bred here, from the Enggano hill mynah I don't know if it has ever been imported into Europe but in many (sub) species of Hill mynahs it's difficult to tell the different subspecies/races/species apart so maybe they are there but nobody recognize them...
    But as you said, some collections should take these (sub) species under teir wings and start some kind of programm ( both in-situ and ex-situ ) to save them !

10. Zygodactyl

Doesn't Europe currently ban all wild bird imports even for zoos? And doesn't the US likewise ban live bird imports from countries that haven't eradicated bird flu, even for zoos? I brought up the tooth-billed pigeon, and one of the employees at the Miami Zoo said that bird flu had recently blocked them from importing from some country in Southeast Asia (I forget if it was Indonesia, Cambodia, or Vietnam).

Indonesia unfortunately has a lot of endemic birds that could use captive breeding populations and not a lot of places with the resources to establish such programs where they'd be legal to import. With the restrictions Australia and New Zealand place on new organisms, it would seem like your best hope is probably Singapore or Canada.

11. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

EU doesn´t ban all bird imports. Current regulation makes it only tought and costly. Licensed zoos may import birds from reliable and legal source, and must use licensed quarantine.

SealPup likes this.
  12. Zygodactyl

How much more expensive? I know Walsrode has let a ton of their species die out in captivity since the ban.

SealPup likes this.
  13. vogelcommando

You know ?!? I know still several people working at Walsrode from the time I worked there myself and they surtainly don't "let a ton of their species die out in captivity" ! I'm sure species have died out - which can happen in every collection by old age of the specimens, deseases or accidents, they have moved species to other collections ( not always public ones but that doesn't mean that the species has died out in captivity ) and they always have a large collection behind the scenes - in many cases to give these birds better breeding-circumstances.

14. Zygodactyl

Someone else here mentioned in the Madagascar thread that the ban was the reason that they no longer have vangas, cuckoo-rollers and ground rollers, since they didn't have the genetic diversity to maintain those species.

SealPup likes this.
  15. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

But they *do* ban all wild-caught bird imports, which is the point Zygodactyl was making

Worth making the point that they only recently ceased to keep ground-rollers - shortly before my June 2016 visit - and still do keep a single cuckoo-roller and vanga apiece.

Zygodactyl likes this.
  16. vogelcommando

17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

this is one of those things which is repeated on here a lot (such as by yourself) which reinforces it as a "truth" to members like Zygodactyl. There is a lot of this on Zoochat. "The point" he was making came straight from a post you made saying birds have died out in zoos (specifially Walsrode, which he further interpreted as "a ton of their species" have died out) because it is impossible to import more.

As Jana said, the EU ban on wild-caught bird imports is for commercial purposes - zoos can and always have been (since the ban came into force a decade ago) been able to import wild-caught birds. It is far easier for them to import captive-bred birds but they can still import wild-caught birds. The legislation specifically allows this.

Giant Panda likes this.
  18. TeaLovingDave

Not according to the information regarding the ban released by the EU Commision, as found at the following link:

European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - New rules for captive bird imports to protect animal health in the EU and improve the welfare of imported birds

To quote the most pertinent section of the above-linked report:

The use of the term "only birds bred in captivity" is pretty cut and dried, I feel.

The only reference to tighter quarantine facilities which Jana mentioned pertains specifically to captive-bred individuals, as follows:

Having trouble finding the full text of the regulation, but as the above is an official publication by the EU Commission it is surely accurate and does not misinterpret the scope of the regulation?

Zygodactyl likes this.
  19. vogelcommando

Just found an intresting note about a starling-species which is kept in only a very small number of European public collections ( 8 ) the Crested myna ( Acridotheres cristatellus ).
    Around 1900 some birds of this species escaped/ were released ( ? ) around Vancouver and founded a feral population ( I've seen mentioned a population-size of 20.000 birds at the beginning of the 1970-ties ).
    Are there ( Canadian ) ZooChatters who know more about this feral population - history and current status and are these birds kept in captivity in Canada - both public and privat ?

20. TeaLovingDave

Very interesting; I would also be very intrigued to learn whether or not the Canadian population in the wild is extant! One of the nicer members of the genus knocking around in European collections, in my opinion.