Join our zoo community

Starting Your Own Zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by kbaker116, 2 Sep 2009.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Now it has stuff like Hamadryas Baboons, Dingos, Red Pandas, and California Sea Lions but it's still pretty small.

~Thylo:cool:

2. Zoology

Zoology Member

own zoo

Are you suggesting that starting a childrens zoo is a better way to start.

3. ThylacineAlive

No but maybe. I know my home zoo was started with species like pet parrots that were donated. I mean we also got some circus animals but that doesn't happen often:p

I expect BZF to come sometime later to tell me I'm either right or wrong:p

4. Zoology

Zoology Member

Zoo ?

I Anaheim Zoo ?

5. ThylacineAlive

You have a big problem with, one, people putting exhibit designs in the 'Design a Zoo' thread (which caused you to make your 'Design an Exhibit' thread) and, two, with people posting lists.

1) Zoos are comprised of smaller exhibits and one designs a zoo and exhibit at a time and not the whole thing at once (it would suck if one tried).
    2) All zoo exhibits and expansions start with lists of species. You cannot build an exhibit (which make up zoos) without having a list of what is to go in it. All great zoo exhibits start off with animal lists- that's how I make mine and people seem to really love mine. I agree that people need to do a little more than just posting a species list but that is the first step and I see nothing wrong with that being included in the exhibit design.

EDIT: Welcome to ZooChat, Zoology!!:D:D

6. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1. And that is why people can post individual exhibits at a time on "Design an Exhibit", since you design an exhibit there. On "Design a Zoo", you post your whole zoo, hence the name zoo, and not exhibit.
    2. You're right about exhibits needing a species list. But why not keep the list or, "first step", as you call it, to yourself, and then post your exhibit, as I really don't care about seeing lists, and I think other people agree too. And I'm not trying to attack you or anything, but saying that "people seem to really love mine," is a bit arrogant.

7. ThylacineAlive

I know and I really didn't want it to but it did. I only put that in there because my original two exhibits were posted as lists but then made into more detailed exhibits people gave pretty good reviews to and people have said that they love my exhibits so that statement, as arrogant as it sounds, isn't incorrect (I think that sounds arrogant too, though).

8. Zoology

Zoology Member

Start

9. Zoology

Zoology Member

Stafi

It can be done im on my way

10. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Thank you, BeardsleyZooFan, you and I are very clearly on the same page.

ThylacineAlive, I do not, nor did I ever, have a problem with people posting individual exhibit ideas on "Design A Zoo". I said that I simply thought it was defeating the purpose of the thread. Yes, I posted an exhibit on the thread myself, but it just felt strange posting one single exhibit while the creators of the thread had had entire ideas thought up and ready to present.

...And about lists, yes, as BeardsleyZooFan said, they can be looked at as the first step of your zoo creation, and they can certainly give you ideas of the exhibit to come, but they themselves are not ideas. To constantly see lists being posted on the forum is very annoying. What do I have to read? Forty-seven species' names that I've seen hundreds of times before and their scientific names? See what we're trying to say? It's much more enjoyable to read a fully-fledged exhibit design rather than the list of the species in it.

As I said to the member Moebelle a few months back, one can create a list of the things they want in their new room, but until they come up with an idea of what the room would look like, they're stuck with just a list.

11. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

I'm sorry? Are you asking me a question?

12. Distanceking

Distanceking New Member

I'd be willing to devote an entire summer helping someone start a zoo. It would be great experience for me and I would work for close to nothing.

13. Paul Dunham

Paul Dunham New Member

Not really.. You can start with one species to save and build... Don't take anything on your not comfortable with and don't overload yourself with more animals than you can cope with.. you wouldn't believe the zoo owners of the past who knew sweet FA about animals when they started a zoo.. Many aren't much better today.. I think the way forward is to breed and release endangered species.. Educate the public.. Get them on your side.. I wish I could start a zoo, but I'll never have the money.. They're are many stunning non flag-ship species the public would love to see..

14. Zoology

Zoology Member

I could use some help this summer. Wil be needing some volunteers this sommer with fundraising.

15. SjKiwiBird

SjKiwiBird New Member

I have always dreamed of being with animals and starting my own zoo or similar. I never thought it possible for me till now. And I am going to start trying. At the moment I am going to start collecting small animals that I can get easier such as pets but less common ones like chinchillas. Will also get rabbits, birds and a cat again. (my old ones died of old age). Then I will gradually add larger animals such as goats, donkeys and water buffalo etc. so basically it will just start as pets and then to a farm park and then see if I can go bigger after some more study.

16. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sounds like a really smart and practical way to start off.

17. Distanceking

Distanceking New Member

That would be awesome. What work and types of fundraising would I be doing? I would like to help with physical labour and caring for animals as much as I could. What animals do you have now and what do you plan on getting soon or in the next year? I don't know if I could help out this summer but in I'm sure lots of zoo chaters would and maybe in a couple of years I could. Also I see that you're from Sacramento does that mean you zoo is around there?

18. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@ distanceking - Based on the job descripiton (fundraising), I think your primary animal experience will be dealing with cash cows :p

19. Themistocles

Themistocles Member

So this is my first post but I am seriously thinking about starting a zoo. I don't know if many people that have replied are as serious but with over a 150 reptiles including over 30 species and expanding I think it's about time to open the doors. I have invited tons of people over to see my collection and now neighbors are knocking on my door to come in and see. I am in need of someones knowledge about California and Zoo's. Is there any funding out there I should be aware of?
    I am a disabled veteran with a passion for animals and plants. I have been taking care of all these animals for years and have expanded beyond what are home could hold so we have found a starting location that has room for expansion. I hope to be breaking ground in a few months and be open by the end of summer.
    Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

20. Talli

Talli Well-Known Member

You might want to make your way to Albuquerque to check out the International Rattlesnake Museum and see what can be done in a fairly small space.