Join our zoo community

Subspecific Management in EAZA

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Coelacanth18, 28 Nov 2016.

1. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

The fact that Zootierliste (my go-to for looking at European collections) lists every single subspecies separately is a pain. Additionally, it makes it somewhat difficult to ascertain whether the species is managed subspecifically or if ZTL just lists them subspecifically and the population is actually managed at the species level.

I am curious to know if the following species are managed at the subspecific level, and if so, which subspecies are managed:
    - Chimpanzee
    - Giraffe
    - Plains zebra
    - African and Asian elephants
    - Black rhino
    - Lion
    - Spider monkeys (taxonomy not resolved, interested in how EAZA manages their pops)
    - Takin
    - Binturong
    - Sun bear
    - Leopard
    - Galapagos tortoise (are these even managed in EAZA?)
    - Rockhopper penguin
    - Ostrich

2. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

AFAIK there is just one South-central black rhino left in Europe; the rest are Eastern subspecies.

Also know that they manage:
    -Separately reticulated, Rothschild's, Kordofan and South African giraffe, and keeps preventing breeding of hybrids or producing hybrid giraffes.
    -I know that Western chimpanzees are separately managed from Common chimpanzees and from hybrids.
    -Also leopards.
    -I don't believe that Asian elephants, for breeding purposes are managed to a subspecific level.
    -There is also EEP for North African ostrich.
    -Efforts (and genetic analysis) are ongoing for subspecific management of African lion populations, or at least focusing on more intensive breeding of one variety like Kalahari lion.

EEP and ESB species and subspecies here:
    http://www.eaza.net/assets/Uploads/CCC/Overview-EAZA-Breeding-Programmes-October-2016.pdf

Last edited: 28 Nov 2016
  3. Coelacanth18

@Nikola Chavkosk : Thanks for the information. I have seen the EEP and ESB list, but it was not very helpful for answering questions that I posted here (except for leopards, which I just realized I already knew the answer to, and ostrich which I missed). I was thought that was the case for chimpanzees, but wanted to make sure.

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  4. persimon

persimon Well-Known Member

the spider monkeys that are managed (hybridus, paniscus and fusciceps rufiventris) are supposed to be pure. Other (sub-)species are not managed.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  5. Coelacanth18

Also, it appears that Galapagos tortoises are managed in EAZA, although I'm still interested to know if it's at the species or subspecies level.

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

There is only one subspecies of Sun Bear present in European collections, the nominate.

7. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

And how I forgot the Angolan giraffe, with 20 animals in 2008 and in 2016, housed in 5 participating institutions (one non-European): http://eaza.portal.isis.org/activities/cp/yearbook20072008/41_Antelope_Giraffe_TAG.pdf + Zootierliste :)

Also some info on Cebids: http://eaza.portal.isis.org/activities/cp/yearbook20072008/24_Cebid _TAG.pdf :)

8. arafan

arafan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They are managed in Zurich, AFAIK the only breeder of the species on Europe. The breeding pair is a female C.n.porteri the male is a C.n.becki, so they just produce hybrids.

9. Zygodactyl

Zygodactyl Well-Known Member

I generally don't find the Zootierliste listings at the subspecific level to be that much of an inconvenience. I just open all subspecies I'm interested in in new tabs. And listing at the subspecific level is helpful in the event that a species gets split, which happens all the time.

10. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I think the subspecies being listed in ZTL is really useful. What I do find annoying is that it is not applied universally, and there are lots of cases where the subspecies is simply noted in the box under each holding rather than as its own entry.

Zygodactyl likes this.
  11. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Obviously the dream situation would be to allow you to filter it yourself to choose the level of detail you want. That way you could view things at species or subspecies level, or even everything in a single genus etc.

With the current system what annoys me is not so much that you have to open multiple tabs, but that the different subspecies of one genus are listed alphabetically rather than taxonomically. Of course you can work around this but it's quite inelegant.

It goes without saying that we should be very grateful for ZTL, which is in general a fantastic resource.

Zygodactyl and Coelacanth18 like this.
  12. Coelacanth18

Of course I didn't mean to deny that ZTL is useful or that I'm not grateful for it, but I agree with FunkyGibbon about the alphabetical vs taxonomic listing. My computer translates the page from German, but it does a pretty terrible job and so I have no idea what anything is. This translates to one of two things: clicking on every single taxonomic listing to see what they are, or typing the Latin name into the search bar and looking at what comes up. If it listed the Latin name on the side instead of the common name, or if it was based in a more taxonomic way, I could get around that translation problem.

13. Coelacanth18

EAZA apparently manages both subspecies of rockhopper penguin, which leaves these species that I still have questions about:

- Plains zebra
    - Lion
    - Takin
    - Binturong

14. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I'm about to blow your mind: at the top of the page you can simply select the English language version :cool:

Attached Files:

Zygodactyl likes this.
  15. Coelacanth18

Mind appropriately blown... thanks FG, that mostly solves my problem with that.

16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Mind further blown - you can select an option to display species by taxonomic name :p

17. Coelacanth18

Ah yes, I now see where I can do that. Much thanks TLD