Join our zoo community

Subspecific Tigers in US Zoos

Discussion in 'United States' started by Coelacanth18, 8 Jun 2020.

1. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

I know that this post might be a little off-topic to some people, but for the longest time. I, had always thought in my head that Palm Beach Zoo only displayed genetically-pure Malayan Tigers, but after looking at the revised list this morning. I now realize that this does not seem to be the case anymore. If anyone here has any conversation-worthy details about the individual tigers that are currently found at Palm Beach, that would be greatly appreciated, or at least in my personal opinion it would.

2. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

Palm Beach most likely does have pure Malayan tigers since they are part of the AZA and they had cubs last year meaning they wouldn’t breed generic tigers while being part of the AZA.

3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

White Oak keeps Malayan Tigers, and Palm Beach should as well.

~Thylo

4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Are the Jackson Zoo's (MS) Sumatran tigers really Sumatran?

5. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

Yes. The female Sari was born at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park to Utan and Delta on 12/5/06 and has lived at the Jackson Zoo since May 2012. The male Eko is her son. His father was Emerson, who was born at the Sacramento Zoo to Castro and Bahagia on 11/24/06 and lived at the Jackson Zoo from December 2008 to April 2017 at which point he moved to Zoo Atlanta, where he sadly passed away from an aggressive form of cancer in November 2017 before he was able to breed again.

SwampDonkey and IndianRhino like this.