Join our zoo community

substrate that enable jerboas to dig tunnels

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by petthebird, 26 Mar 2014.

1. petthebird

petthebird Member

Hi!
    I am soon to collect 1.1 captive bred jaculus orientalis and have alot of thoughts on how to house them in an as good and natural way as possible. As I am in the process of moving I havent started to build their cage yet (will be ready before I aquiee them ifc) But it will be approximately 3x1m floor area. I would love to enable them to dig their own burrows, at least to some extent, but I doubt that it would be possible to dig steady tunnels in plain sand, how do zoos go about to create the rigyt substrate for these behaviours?

Since they will live in arid conditions I have a hard time thinking of a substrate that allows them to carry out most of their natural behaviours without being hurt, as well as allowing them to dig and form more or less stable underground structures.

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated!

2. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

........Jerboas dig tunnels

I've used a mixture of wood shavings and peat for gerbils with some success.

3. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

When it comes to tunnels and burrows, it will take some time for the animals to test what you have given them. It may take some adjustment, but they will let you know what will work. It is a process, so be patient if you go this route. Nothing will be ideally perfect, but what they can work, they will. There's no perfect mix, unless you're collecting from their native range, but animals are smart, adaptive and know what feels right. You want a medium that drains, but retains enough moisture to hold it together. What I mean is, a substrate that you can grab a handful and form a clump that does not break. This would be ideal for tunnels and burrows. How it is accomplished, is up toy you and your resourcefulness. I would look to nature, first. Go, find a clean source of media. You can usually find this by rivers, as in the riverbanks. They hold moisture, but drain. You can also put on waders and dig up riverbed. You want sandy, silty fines. This will allow drainage, but forms a good pack. It's going to be a testing period. Scoops and scoops, buckets and buckets. Lots of dirty hands. Once you find one or two types you like, bring them home. Leave in the buckets for a few days to set-up to your house temperature. After a few days, like a child, play with it. Does it still hold a pack? If not, how much moisture to add to get it back to where you like. It will take time, and if you find one that holds up. Introduce your critters. Now, is the big test. Do they like it? If you go the commercial route (store-bought), a good play sand silica free, or pool filter sand, will do. Get some sphagnum moss, coir, etc. You still need some good soil, non-store is best, pesticide, manure free. You will need some buckets. Now to mix it up to a ratio that holds. Remember, take notes. Bag of this, scoops of this, etc. It's the same process as above, but costs more than time. The sand and coir, sphag' will help with drainage. The soil, makes the bond, that holds it together. If it dries out too quickly, there's ways to keep it moist. Leaf litter. Mulch, but not just chips. Shredded. Milled times over. You want the blanket effect. There's a lot of work involved. Once you have done your work, the animals will do theirs. See if you are up to par, if not, start over. Actually, should have another mix going just in case. Maybe two. Less downtime for them to be themselves.

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I also would say try to mix sand with clay and look how solid it is.
    Another important thing is, try to find a suplier of camel-hair, Jerboas make their nest from this, so if you can find a zoo or privat camel-keeper, try to obtain a good quantity of it !
    Wish you all the luck with these wunderfull animals and let us know your experience !

5. Malayan Tiger

Malayan Tiger Well-Known Member

Use sand, but supply the animals with a small pile of grass and/or wool. They will use this to line the burrow and hold the tunnels shape.