Join our zoo community

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens Sumatran rhino move.

Discussion in 'United States' started by Pertinax, 15 Feb 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Half of this sum was left by a single benefactor! (wish I knew them...)

2. Pertinax

3. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

i remember reading about her donation in the metro ;)

4. ontariozoo

ontariozoo Member

re. the post about so called "elephant sanctuary" in Tennesse, it is a non breeding facility, which will not house males!, and practices very unsound management practices.
    Having this as a model for anybody thinking of helping critically endangered species like asian elephants or sumatran rhinos would be NUTS, and tantamount to saying ," lets give up on the captive saftey net and put all our eggs in one basket in situ and HOPE political, natural and other disasters dont strike- and everything in the wild will hopefully be okay!"
    Which unfortunatley does NOT happen!, if zoos had taken Javan or Caspain tigers 30 odd years ago we would still have options now.
    Anyone looking for good ex citu large animal breeding models should look at the RIDDLE'S Arkansas Elephant Sanctuary or Ringlings Elephant Conservation Centre!

5. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Toronto

Hi Ontario Zoo ,

Thanks for your input .
    Are you able to tell us about anything that Metro Toronto Zoo , with their breeding of rhinos , elephants etc ?
    I hear that the zoo is one of the better ones in North America , but we seem only to get news about Bronx or San Diego zoos .

6. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Cincinnati zoo has lots of rhinos, do you know what species they keep? I know about the Sumatran.

7. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Nigel I maybe able to help you there, the Toronto zoo holds a pair of Indian rhino which have had three calfs maybe four by now, there are pics of them on the form which i have posted a while ago, thats the breeding male and female and the other pic is of a young bull at three years old. Toronto dont hold any black rhino but do hold a trio of whites, I have not heard of them having any off spring.

The herd of African elephants started out with 1 male & 8 females which they did breed a number of young untill the adult male died and was not replaced so no futher breeding with them there are also some pics on the from of these elephants at Toronto zoo.

8. Writhedhornbill

I have seen the Indian rhinos frequently on photographs.

9. Pertinax

Cincinnati also have Indian, and I think, Black Rhino too. You can check by looking on their website.

10. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

they are the most amazing animals indian rhinos, dora is so gentle, i worked with himat dubbo, the best part is under the folds of skin, is so smooth i mean its un describable, you just have to feel it to belive it

11. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Yep i know what you mean Zoo_Boy, I felt under the skin folds of the ones at the Toronto zoo and if feels like a very soft leather glove.

12. Writhedhornbill

The female at Chester(rosie A black rhino) felt really wierd. We also saw Quinto. He was very aggressive. The members woman was thinking about what to do If he charged. The health an Safety regurlations.

13. Pertinax

The amazing thing is that they are SOOOO unpredictable and aggressive and downright dangerous in the Wild- (I once spent a few weeks in Kaziranga Sanctuary, the most dangerous experience I've ever had...) yet so tame and gentle in captivity. I've said it before, but Whipsnade's original (1950's) male Mohan would allow people(filmstars or other celebrities, NOT the general public!) to ride on his back!

14. Writhedhornbill

Wow. It would be good if they did that now. Imagine the money they would make they could buy a large area of land in India and let the rhino population grow.

15. Pertinax

Quinto lived at Chester for a number of years and then was sent to Whipsnade on a breeding loan. I saw him At Whipsnade several times and he often looked rather excitable and aggressive. When the female Emma(born at Chester but not his daughter) died, Whipsnade aquired a new female. I saw them side by side in the yards soon after her arrival. Quinto was VERY aggressive that day, pacing around huffing and puffing, and horning the metal dividing barrier and making his horn bleed a bit. Sadly that female died and so Quinto is now back on his home turf...

16. Writhedhornbill

His horns are very odd. That must be why

17. Pertinax

Maybe if he constantly lunges at the fences then they would grow a bit crookedly in time. But as you probably know, all rhinos tend to grow much thicker or misshapen horns in captivity.

18. Writhedhornbill

One of the 2 males from Chester (I don't know who) Knocked off his horn while being transported

19. Pertinax

That would probably have been either KataKata, who went to France, or Baringo 2. who went I don't know where (back to Port Lympne?).

Do Chester currently have only two males- Quinto & Sammy? That is probably sufficient for them at present.

20. Writhedhornbill

They definatly have Quinto and Sammy but I think they recieved another from a polish zoo.

I alos think that ISIS is wrong about Chester's rhinos. I know that they have 4 females, Mayara,Ema,Rosie and I think it's pagani ( who lives in the tsavo house)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.