Join our zoo community

Superzoom cameras

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by nanoboy, 26 May 2014.

1. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

I bought Canon SX50 yesterday that promises 50x optical zoom (1,200mm in 35mm-film equivalent) and I am yet to give it a test run.

Does anyone else use a superzoom camera (i.e. a non-DSLR, compact camera with more than 30x optical zoom)? I took a few low-light pics in my kitchen last night, and they were horrible - here's hoping the pics in bright light will be much better.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Yes, to do good low-light photography you need 1) fast glass, 2) great on-board image processing with good high-ISO support.

Unfortunately, fast glass (ie a lens with a large aperture, f2.8 or better), is very expensive, and you generally only get good onboard image processing with good quality high-ISO support on the more expensive DSLR bodies.

My Dad has a super-zoom and does get some great animal/bird photos ... but my DSLR+Lens combo (which cost literally 10x what his super-zoom cost) gives far more consistent results across a greater range of light conditions.

Aim for well-lit conditions and you should be fine.

3. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

I sold my Canon 18-200mm lens for about the same price as the SX50. I went for the latter because I will never be able to afford a longer, faster DSLR lens. However, I only found out today that the company at which I work does free AV loans for staff, and theoretically I could borrow, for example, a Canon 5D MkIII plus a 70-200mm L-series f2.8 lens. Whether I can play the "I need to borrow it over the weekend to practice" card remains to be seen. :D