Join our zoo community

Sydney Aquarium Sydney Aquarium resigns from ARAZPA

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 4 Dec 2007.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

what the title says.

Just got a text from my boss telling me. That could be why when I went there at the start of November the girl at the desk wouldn't let me in for free. "No we don't do that, but I can give you 15% off so you'd only be paying $21. Do you want to do that?"

Funny thing, in the tourist magazines there are coupons for 20% off, so a regular backpacker could have got in cheaper than someone from a fellow ARAZPA aquarium.

2. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

ooooooohhhh

see aquariums are almost always commercial enterprises where as public statutory zoos are not. thus, i'm not supprised they can have conflicts of interest.

what was the deal?

3. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

yeah i agree pat, i reckon less than 99% of fish on the aquariums are bred by them

4. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

i got in for free in october. i emailed ahead though, and had a copy of the email.

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

because they have resigned from ARAZPA, apparently all the animals supplied to them by ARAZPA zoos are being removed back to ARAZPA zoos. From both the Aquarium and the SWW. Which is probably a large part of the SWW collection.

6. Zoo_Boy

tht would leave so many empty exhibits, koalas, ROCK WALLABIES, many reptiles....

7. patrick

muah ha ha ha ha ha!!!

8. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

great to hear that SWW and the aquarium have broken free from the shackles of ARAZPA. Now they might be able to move forward if the rumours about them being brought by Warner Bros are true.

9. Zoo_Boy

sorry boof, what does your last post mean? arazpa is not good? somehow that stood in it's way of sale? or that they will sell more likely now they have no animals ;)?

10. patrick

i detect a hint of sarcasm there zooboy......

11. Zoo_Boy

nope, i dont get what he means at all

12. boof

I think you may be right patrick.

13. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

and if warner bros do go ahead with the sale, and the resignation from ARAZPA stays, then we have an amazing commercial orientated centre for wildlife exploitation.
    thats sarcastic

14. patrick

dolphins in darling harbour anyone?

15. Zoo_Boy

if it was taken over, no doubt there would be dolphins, and simply by having 'Sea Wolrd' as a logo and name, there would be an increase in visitation. reallly, the whole place does need to be totally gutted and redone. despite all the fuss about having underwater seal viewing, the seal exhibit is really awfully bland, despite a flotting rock, nothing. dolhpins would then really put taronga in a bit of strife, i belive doplhins would have the pull of elephants.

16. boof

i visited the aquarium a fort night ago. I would agree that some of it is getting old and hasn't changed since it opened.(crocodile, and fresh water area.) i still think it is good. The barrier reef walk through is one of the best I have seen anywhere. Maybe if it gets a new owner the older areas will be redeveloped.

17. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited the aquarium about 8 years ago in the evening, and i thoroughly enjoyed my evening, highlights for me were the platypus, the only ones i saw in Australia, Tasmanian giant crabs (can someone please find a photo of these monsters), the seal pool was closed in the evening, but thinking back how on earth can they expand, i thought it was on a confined area of the dock.

18. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

What are the chances of SeaWorld actually taking over? Are the rumors on here true, or is it all conjecture as to what will occur? With the Taronga Zoo, Sydney Wildlife World and the Sydney Aquarium all in close quarters, it definitely makes for some intriguing choices for tourists. At least the aquarium is much superior to Melbourne's.

19. Zoo_Boy

taronga zoo shouldn't fel to pressured by the sww and aqua, as it is is far supirior lol. though both are good, not as good as value for ya buck. And lastest figures show there has actually been none of the feared drop in tourists, that taronag feared. But is sea world happenes to take over, then taronga maybe be worried, as sea world would no doubt add large attraction such as doplhpins, and in my opinion, they would rival the pull elephants ahve.

20. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Great Southern Oceans will boost attendance slightly, and Taronga would probably prefer to see massive increases in visitors when one considers how much money has been poured into that zoo over the past 6 years or so. Isn't it over $100 million with the backyard to bush, the wild asia, and now oceans exhibits?