Join our zoo community

Sydney Aquarium Sydney Aquarium

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Simon Hampel, 1 May 2004.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I don't really understand it at all. :confused: Both animals were on display when I visited (twice, most recently Dec 2013) but possibly separated, I don't remember it being obvious that they were kept apart though.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

when I was there in 2010 there was just the one on display and the guy feeding out the lettuce did not want to admit there were two at the aquarium! It was really weird. I had just casually asked him where the other dugong was (I didn't know until today that they were always/usually kept separate) and he did not want to waver from the "no, we only have one" line.

3. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's only going to make the situation worse due to people starting rumours about the apparent disappearance of one of their dugongs (which isn't a particularly inconspicuous species).

4. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I still haven't been to any of the East Coast aquariums since they were Merlinised. Just don't see the point, really.

5. Chlidonias

go on! Go to Melbourne Aquarium! It is true that it has many tragic parts, like all the lurid colours and Disney set-pieces and impossible-to-view-through bubble tanks and half-arsed conservation posters and out-of-place abandoned temples and monstrous golden mermaid statues and .... wait, I forgot where I was going with that.

Oh yeah, but it has some nice animals :D

Honestly, I did like it despite all the many many SeaLifisms there. Wow, that did not come out well at all! :D

6. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

$30.40 (online price) is an awfully large amount of money to pay to go and see something and reflect on how far removed it is from what it was.

I never quite loved Melbourne Aquarium in the first place, and I fear I would hate it now.

7. zoolander

zoolander Member

The Dugongs are still not on display but will be probable be back the 20th this month

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I was there in 2011 and saw them both, in the same tank, not separated. What nonsense is that, 'they need to be separated'? They are dugongs, not Siberian tigers or something!

9. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just visited Sea Life Sydney today, both dugongs are on display but kept separated in their own half of the tank. The staff said Pig the male might show aggression towards Wuru the female, and that they did not want breeding as reasons for the separation.

A number of fish in the aquarium, especially in the small displays, did not look healthy.

10. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

11. Jabiru96

12. Jabiru96

A new permanent exhibit is in construction featuring "11 new displays plus an amazing interactive experience using state of the art digital technology": Excuse our mess

13. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

14. Jabiru96

15. Jabiru96

16. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. Jabiru96

No Cookies | Herald Sun

18. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

19. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

The penguin exhibit is coming along nicely by the sounds, and they have filled the pool now. It will include a boat ride "through the exhibit" but presumably there will always be glass between visitors and penguins?

The exhibit will open in November, but the penguins arrive from Melbourne Aquarium at the end of this month.

Does anyone definitely know where this exhibit will be located? I'm assuming it takes over the freshwater section area nearest the entrance?

For more info, and video, see: https://www.sydneyaquarium.com.au/news/float-the-boat-penguin-expedition/

20. Chlidonias

there's a video here from just a few months ago showing their concept - the boat is on a channel (think Singapore's River Safari but colder) and the penguins are behind glass, both underwater and on land. It's interesting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YAfXphqIh8

From the video in zooboy28's link it looks like the visitor viewing (by foot) will also be in the same temperature as the exhibit, if that overhead walkway is how it appears.