Join our zoo community

Taman Mini Indonesia Indah visit (26/09/21)

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by Salt Merchant, 26 Sep 2021.

1. Salt Merchant

Salt Merchant Well-Known Member

Almost every Sunday, I went to Gelora Bung Karno (a sports complex in Central Jakarta), but today I decided to go somewhere else. On morning, I planned to go to Ancol to visit Faunaland, but I'm bringing my brother who is 9 years old, which Ancol prohibit childrens younger than 12 to enter, so I decided to visit TMII.
    The entrance fee of TMII is Rp. 20.000 (Rp. 40.000 if you bring a car). I planned to visit Taman Legenda for their animatronic dinosaurs, since my younger brother liked them. I take a stop at the Bird Park, which has a entry fee of Rp. 30.000. The first aviary houses a pair of Bali myna. Then, there is the park well known free ranging riverine area with black swans, Chinese goose, Australian pelicans, lesser adjutants, and wild zebra doves and Eurasian tree sparrow, there is also an large pig-nosed turtle in the water according to the YouTube video I watched, it's probably still lurking in the water below.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Salt Merchant

I then enter Kubah Barat (West Dome), which houses birds native to Sumatra, Kalimantan, Java, and the Lesser Sunda Islands. The free ranging birds inside the aviary that I saw are eastern cattle egret, wooly-necked stork, black-headed Ibis, black crowned crane, black-crowned night heron, Javan pond heron, Java peafowl, crested fireback, Bali myna, common myna, Javan myna, zebra dove, and Sumatran laughingthrush. There is also several aviaries inside, the first row display:
    - Wreathed hornbill, ring-necked pheasant
    - Oriental pied hornbill
    - Wrinkled hornbill, greater Bornean crested fireback
    - Rhinoceros hornbill
    - Empty (Labelled as moustached parakeet and white-breated waterhen)
    - Black-winged starling, crested partridge
    - Pied stilt
    - Black-backed swamphen
    - Pied stilt (There is a sign for straw-headed bulbul)
    A second aviary row display:
    - Java peafowl
    - Black drongo (There is a sign for great argus)
    - Crested fireback
    - Sumatran laughingthrush (As well as several other songbirds which I can't remember)
    The third row focused on eagles, displaying:
    - Three crested serpent-eagles
    - A pair of Javan hawk-eagles
    - An white-bellied sea eagle
    - Three brahminy kites
    - An changeable hawk-eagle

Kifaru Bwana and jwer like this.
  3. Salt Merchant

After exiting the West Dome, I enter a cave, which have a canteen and a photo booth with eclectus parrot, yellow-crested cockatoo, and red-and-green macaw. I continue to the next aviary called Kuba Timur (East Dome), which houses birds native to Sulawesi, the Maluku Islands, and New Guinea. The first walkthrough aviary is small, primarily pigeons, but also masked lapwing and bar-shouldered dove. The next walkthrough aviary is larger, where I see free ranging masked lapwing, red junglefowl, silver pheasant, spotted whistling duck, and magpie goose. The East Dome have two row of aviaries, the first row display:
    - Western crowned pigeon
    - Nankeen night heron
    - Empty (Labelled as grey heron)
    - Magpie goose
    - Black-capped lory (There is also a sign for magnificent bird-of-paradise)
    - Red-winged parrot, Pesquet's parrot
    - New Guinea red-sided eclectus parrot (There is also a sign for king bird-of-paradise)
    - Empty (Labelled as twelve-wired bird-of-paradise and black lory)
    - Salmon-crested cockatoo
    - Palm cockatoo (There is also a sign for golden myna)
    - Sulphur-crested cockatoo (There is also a sign for dusky lory)
    - White cockatoo
    - Lesser bird-of-paradise and little corella
    - Empty (Labelled as red lory and Tanimbar corella)
    - Masked lapwing (There is also a sign for purple-naped lory)
    The second row display:
    - Empty (Labelled as red bird-of-paradise and bar-shouldered dove)
    - Empty (Labelled as Sumba hornbill)
    - Maleo (There is also a sign for red-and-blue lory)
    - Citron-crested cockatoo (There is also a sign for red junglefowl)
    - Empty (Labelled as knobbed hornbill and laughing chicken)
    - White Indian peafowl
    - Yellow-faced myna
    From inside the aviary, I can see the ratite exhibits with southern and northern cassowaries and Aldo the ostrich.

After exiting the East Dome, there is a bird presentation stage and after I walked further, there is many smaller aviaries arund the park, the first that I see is a mixed aviary with Java sparrow and streaked weaver, then smaller aviaries for pied myna and white-rumped shama, a decent aviary for Bali myna, and three aviaries for barn owl, barred-eagle owl, and buffy fish owl. I finally ended my visit to the Bird Park, although I missed the sun conures, green-cheeked conures, and Nias hill myna. My next destination is Taman Legenda.

Last edited: 26 Sep 2021
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Salt Merchant

Taman Legenda, which has a entry fee of Rp. 90.000 on the weekend, is theme park with carousel, ferril wheel, and other attraction, the park is well known for its dinosaur attraction. After dining in a restaurant inside the park, I visited the petting zoo, which were moved into a new location. The petting zoo have three free roaming pygmy goats, who were running around and eating carrots given by other visitors. There is also a rabbit exhibit where visitors can interact with them and other exhibits with two donkeys, three Shetland ponies, and several sheeps. I then visited the dinosaur park, which have "Jurassic Park" dinosaurs like the dilophosaurus, triceraptops, carnotaurus, brachiosaurus, parasaurolophus, spinosaurus, tyrannosaurus rex, ankylosaurus, stegosaurus, velociraptor, pterodactyls, and pachycephalosaurus, the T-Rex even have the iconic Jurassic Park roar. After visiting Taman Legenda, I went to a quick visit to the West Sumatra pavilion and went home.

My highlights:
    *Sumatran laughingthrush
    *Lesser bird-of-paradise
    *Red-winged parrot
    *Pesquet's parrot
    *Little corella
    *Citron-crested cockatoo
    *Wrinkled hornbill
    *Javan hawk-eagle
    *Crested partridge
    *Maleo
    *Masked lapwing