Join our zoo community

Taman Safari Bogor Taman Safari Bogor news

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by kiang, 26 Jun 2011.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great news, and first female calf I believe for Taman Safari Bogor.
    Historical: 1 M Merdeka (Hima) - 2003, 2 M - 2015 (Remba)

On the record: numbers 3 and 4 are the 2 born at Bali Safari Park, right?
    (F Pembe (Hima) - 2015 and F Maji (Dita) - 2016)

Or are there more?

Fargusno and Zorro like this.
  2. Salt Merchant

Salt Merchant Well-Known Member

Yes.

Although there could more that they didn't publicly announced.

Zorro likes this.
  3. Fargusno

Fargusno Well-Known Member

Taman Safari has reopened their serval exhibit in Baby Zoo, after 9-10 months of closure. Visitors are able to photograph, pet and feed the servals again. The resident servals are Dominic, Mario and Milica.
    Login • Instagram

There are also rumors that TSI is going to stop offering large animals (i.e lions, tigers and orangutans) as photo props and their former photo areas will be repurposed as a petting zoo for various animals. Good if it's true since TSI is going to follow international animal welfare standards, but they need to phase out elephant rides and the tiger show to make bigger progress.

Example: the former tiger photo booth is now home to a blood python:
    Login • Instagram

4. Salt Merchant

That's a reticulated python, but they do have a blood python at Royal Safari Garden, they could moved it to the zoo.

Fargusno likes this.
  5. Salt Merchant

vogelcommando and Fargusno like this.
  6. Salt Merchant

A viral video showing one of the Hippo at Taman Safari Bogor having a plastic on it's mouth. The zoo confirmed that the Hippo spit the plastic and the women who threw the plastic has already been caught and apologized.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...vEA0&usg=AOvVaw0aHa0kVeYgz9fssdzYO-Lm&ampcf=1
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...JxAL&usg=AOvVaw2nuaubhtHtj_KuNOphwqEd&ampcf=1

Although, I actually felt really bad for the women becuase I think that she, just like most people here, think that this is a "harmless" joke. Like imagine going to a happy family vacation at the place that I don't think not so many people could get to (Especially due to the traffic jam and price) and then suddenly a entire nation where outraged and the police hunt you, it's pretty sad, although it's not a excuse for her to threw a plastic at a animal, it's definitely still wrong. Also, she's on the front page of the news right now, it's probably not going to end very well for her, going your daily life with the difference that you're being insulted by those who recognized you after reading the news.

Taman Safari should've been more careful and also educate visitors to avoid this incident to happen again, atleast put a sign on the exhibits prohibiting visitors to throw hazards into the hippo's mouth

Last edited: 10 Mar 2021
  7. Fargusno

Bageezus another dumbass again? I feel I wanna blame TSI's lenient policy on feeding the animals but there are fruit and vegetable sellers that lives by selling carrots and bananas to visitors for them to feed the animals.

Salt Merchant likes this.
  8. Salt Merchant

Yeah, you can't really do anything. If they ban animals feeding, those sellers would loose their job. If they continue the animals feeding, thing like this migh continue. Taman Safari should've just put signs or guards to warn visitors

9. Fargusno

Patrolling guards or zookeepers should be enough. They can inspect what kind of stuff that the visitors feed to the animals.

Salt Merchant likes this.
  10. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have just seen this news and let me just say I'm very much outraged such things happened again. I never would've thought we saw another "wine incident" (throwing animals stuff that shouldn't be eaten by them), but here we are. Taman Safari really needs to step up their policy by at least installing security cams or have keepers patrolling around, and not being lenient about it. Such a shame many Indonesians aren't very educated in subject of animal health and care. I think signs should be installed on what food is allowed to be fed to those animals, because as far as I remember, there isn't really a sign to do that.

And I'm also kinda suspicious that the woman may not be the actual perpetrator, but rather be used as a scapegoat to cover up her child/relative/employer's behavior. If that's the case, then I would feel really bad her because she had to deal with all of this stuff that's not even her fault. So until then, I can only hope the authorities investigate everyone else who was on that car that day, and hoped for the best. If she really is the perpetrator, then I hope justice would be served to her rightfully, because I hate to see that hippo in that situation (thank God she's still healthy).

Fargusno and Salt Merchant like this.
  11. Salt Merchant

Elephantelephant likes this.
  12. Salt Merchant

13. Salt Merchant

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. Salt Merchant

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you have any further information on F Nina (and specifically when she was born). FYI: Male Ujani was actually born at Bogor TSI in August 1997.

I have it another pygmy hippo breeding cow was born in 2017 to F Vivi (at the time quoted as being 10 years old - born 2007).

Salt Merchant and Zorro like this.
  16. Salt Merchant

No idea, either she is acquired from other zoo or born earlier than Ujani.

17. Salt Merchant

Taman Safari Bogor's black hornbill is freely flying in the Bird Park after being previously keep off display.
    Login • Instagram

The female individual shown in the video could be the same individual that Joel Sartore took a photo off.
    BIR071-00048 - Joel Sartore

Fargusno likes this.
  18. Salt Merchant

19. Salt Merchant

Two cheetah have been exhibited after being absent for a while. It's unknown if these were the same previous individuals or new collections (I'm guessing the former). The nyalas who used to occupy the exhibit when the cheetah is absent now become free roaming with the zebras and wildebeests just outside the exhibit.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CUpmOpbpBti/?utm_medium=copy_link

20. Salt Merchant

Some minor news:

An new enclosure in the Safari Journey housed an baby orangutan, adjacent to the white-bellied sea eagle exhibit. It baffles me on how they get that idea. The exhibit it self aren't big for one adult orangutan (The baby's mother isn't there). It's probably there as mere "awww attraction" for visitors when there's already four other larger orangutan exhibits, three of which also have babies in it. I wish when the baby has grown up, they've used it for something else, like for smaller mammals.Taman Safari Bogor has put most of their European bisons on free-range, still under the supervision of the guards to avoid incidents. Their enclousure still have two or three bisons, probably the ones that aren't too friendly toward cars.

An unexpected addition to the park, an Guianan squirrel monkey, is displayed in an chain-link exhibit in the Australian Outback. There's only one monkey, despite being an social species, and there's no signage of the animal, so I'm guessing it's temporarily and will be replaced with the cotton-top tamarins from Jakarta Aquarium. Two young saltwater crocodiles is displayed together with Asian forest tortoises, it worked probably until the tortoises become fit in their mouth.

Some updates also occured in the Reptile Tunnel. Two new reptiles is displayed, such as the Burmese python and the yet to be classified Irian Jaya blue-tongued skink, although the Merauke blue-tongued skink and green tree monitor has been taken off display. The aquarium is apparently empty, the pirarucu, turtles, and other large fish has been taken off display. The staffs at Jakarta Aquarium could probably even listened to @Fargusno's suggestion on sending some of their freshwater fish to Bogor, who knows.

In the Nocturnal House, an barn owl is replaced by, not one, but two buffy fish owls. I'm ok with owls in indoor exhibit and I even liked the concept, but the exhibit in the Nocturnal House isn't big and spacious for one barn owl, let alone two buffy fish owls. The red giant flying squirrel, an species rarely displayed in Indonesian zoos, has been taken off display and replaced with an even rarer, hard to find, and the world's most elusive, hedgehogs. I honestly don't want to rant anymore, the only thing I want to say is that atleast they're probably not in the Kampung Papua anymore.