Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Taronga Zoo news 2016

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jabiru96, 4 Jan 2016.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I guess the first step (as you've mentioned in the chimpanzee thread) is to form a strong bond between the five new females so they can provide each other with support upon introduction to the main troop.

I'm not sure if they'd opt to introduce all Taronga females before any of the Taronga males are introduced. Arguably males like Shikamoo and Sule would provide less of a physical threat than the more powerful females...Shiba and Kuma.

I'm simply assuming the new five chimpanzee are all female, however the chimpanzee husbandry manual advises young males aged five to eight can often be successfully integrated with minimal risk (as was recently done as Rockhampton Zoo). Having said that, what Taronga would want with more males is beyond me :D:D:D Perhaps a mate for Lani and Sembe????

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They might well do that. Then I would do two other stages;

1. 'Show' this new subgroup to all the other Chimps but only to a few of the established ones at a time e.g. in the offshow areas, allowing limited contact so that all members of the main group become familiar with the newcomers but with the established ones each time in the minority, not as a whole group together.

2. From that, and depending on which others they get on best with, introduce these first so that two groups of roughly equal size are formed, one of them containing the new ones as well as some originals, before finally merging them all together. In this way the acceptance of the newcomers becomes easier with their assimilation with some of the established ones. A lot of trial and error and balancing acts involved perhaps, but that would be my way.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2016
  3. Pertinax

Europe seem to be using two options for getting purebred groups up and running( those that are involved that is, not all of them are). One is to find fresh homes for their generic chimps and replace them. The other is to merge purebreds into existing generic groups but allow only the pures to breed- thus slowly allowing the generics to die off and creating a pure group over time.

Hence my question above about the new Taronga chimps. It could(potentially)be done there too but it would require the controlled cessation of breeding for all the existing Chimps.

4. Zoofan15

That makes sense, I could definitely see that working. I guess there's three options for which animals to pair with the newcomers in the 50/50 group idea:

One: The most passive/sociable individuals who would pose minimal risk (Sacha, Shikamoo, Sule, Shona etc.). The idea would be these animals would most likely to integrate successfully with the newcomers.

Two: The most dangerous/high risk individuals who are the biggest risk (Shiba, Shabani, Kuma etc.). The idea would be if these animals were to face the newcomers with other Taronga chimps, they'd be more intimidated, and hence more likely to act aggressively, than if they faced them in a more controlled situation where they feel in control

Three: Split family introductions. The idea here is not to introduce Taronga chimps with the full support of family members (which could enhance their tendancy/ability to attack). Ie. introduce Shiba (but not with Shabani and Samaki), introduce Kuma (but not with Furahi). If your 50/50 idea is implemented, chimps like Shabani, Samaki and Furahi will be less volatile if they observe/perceive ambiable relationships between the newcomers and their mothers.

Personally, I would go for option three as the less aggressive individuals may form an amiable relationship with the newcomers, only for this to break down when more familiar chimps are introduced. This is what happened at Hamilton Zoo with the failed introduction of Chima.

The safety of the three infants must also be considered when they are introduced to the five new females. I'd advise each mother is supported by a close (but not highly dangerous source of support):

Kuma (and infant Fumo): supported by Shikamoo (not Furahi)
    Shiba (and infant Sudi): supported by Sembe (not Shabani or Samaki)
    Lisa (and infant Liwali): supported by Lani (not Lubutu)

The idea is these three individuals are likely to step in and protect the three respective infants, but not esculate the confrontation into a fatal introduction.

What does everyone think???

Last edited: 28 Jan 2016
  5. tdierikx

tdierikx Well-Known Member

I like your thinking Zoofan15... hope Taronga keepers are reading this... might give them some ideas... *grin*

6. Zoofan15

Thanks! Feel free to let them know. :D:D:D

7. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Most probably not.

:p

Hix

8. Pertinax

The worst type of introductions for Apes are 'sudden' ones where they are strangers and haven't had sufficient time to all get completely accustomed by sight,smell, touch and hearing,under controlled conditions first. This is sometimes attempted in order to 'get the worst over with' asap but its bound to end badly.

9. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Notes from my visit today (1/2/2016):

- the cockatoos across the reptile house have moved into the aviary opposite the red kangaroos, which also includes pheasant coucal and laughing kookaburra
    - the reason for the aforementioned move is because a new indoor theatre is under construction opposite the giraffes (said by a volunteer to be for "educational displays and classes")
    - monocled cobra are back on exhibit between the taipan and eastern diamondback rattlesnake
    - pacific ground boa are now on display next to star tortoise
    - the boardwalk from the barbary sheep down tahr mountain is now closed (both because the Sumatran tiger exhibit is under construction, and as a result, there is nothing left to see down there), and the path is also closed now from the sun bears onwards
    - the new female fishing cat is on display (although I didn't manage to see her)
    - a green sea turtle is on display (no window viewing) in the bottom seal pool while she undergoes rehabilitation
    - squirrel glider and yellow-bellied glider have joined the short-beaked echidna in the old long-beaked echidna exhibit (the rufous owl is no longer in there as well)
    - the exhibit across the plain rats is empty and undergoing modification

Last edited: 1 Feb 2016
  10. Jabiru96

I was told today that they are not making a guidebook this year as there is too much construction going on, and many big-name species (such as lions and tigers) have left (in words to that effect).

11. tdierikx

tdierikx Well-Known Member

Did you find out when they think the baby Meerkats will be making an appearance?

T.

12. Jabiru96

No, sorry. There wasn't really a keeper around the area and, to be honest, i'm more interested in other developments going on!

13. Zoofan15

Definitely! The biggest trigger of aggression in chimpanzee is fear, followed closely by acting to protect a family member. If Taronga keepers factor in these instincts, I have every confidence in successful introductions.

14. Osprey71

Osprey71 Well-Known Member

No chimpanzees in the old orange enclosure as yet they still haven't started to take down the tall plate forms they build for the orangs. They are building a new theatre next to the giraffes and that is taken up a lot of time. Going over the orangs old enclosure in the sky rail. The weeds and the bushes have taken over.

15. Jabiru96

16. Osprey71

Baby Meerkats one male and one female are making brief appearance's with mum during the day. The boy is the smaller of the two. This is a statement from Taronga zoo on seven news tonight.

Statement: Taronga Zoo is celebrating the birth of its first Meerkat pups in nearly seven years. The two pups were born to first-time parents Nairobi and Maputo on 7 January, but have just begun venturing out of their nest box to explore Taronga’s African-themed Meerkat exhibit this week. “They were initially a little wary of this big new world outside, but with a bit of encouragement from mum and dad they started to explore,” said Keeper, Courtney Mahony. The pups’ sex will be confirmed later this month when they have their first vaccinations and a veterinary examination, although keepers suspect there is a male and a female. They have started to do quick hands on health checks and are weighing the pups regularly to ensure they are healthy and comfortable in the presence of keepers. As with all Meerkat young, the yet-to-be named pups are developing very quickly. Despite only weighing a few grams when born, they both now tip the scales at over 120 grams and have begun to sample solid foods such as fly pupae and mealworms. They are also practicing for sentry duty, trying to stand on their hind legs. “They may be young, but they’re already showing signs of their own little personalities. Our male is the bigger of the two and he’s more adventurous and inquisitive, while the female is quieter and prefers to stay close to mum,” said Courtney. “This is all new for them and they learn by observing their mum and dad, so we’re very lucky that Nairobi and Maputo are proving to be fantastic and attentive first-time parents. Nairobi is letting the pups suckle and grooming them at the right times and Maputo protects them, huddles over them and curls up with them at night.” Visitors to Taronga will start to see the pups for short periods each day, as they are slowly introduced to the outside world under the watchful eyes of their parents and keepers.

17. Jabiru96

I should mention that this is a different animal the the one mentioned before (a male who was recently released into the wild: https://taronga.org.au/media/media-release/2016-02-01/andrew’s-story-–-plastic-pollution-australia).

18. Jabiru96

19. Osprey71

- a green sea turtle is on display (no window viewing) in the bottom seal pool while she undergoes rehabilitation.

The Green sea turtle can be seen at the lower shop through the viewing window her name is bertha she is missing front left flipper. Andrew the other turtle was released two ago on a Monday. If you go to the Taronga facebook page and go to photos and photos taken at the zoo there are some photos on there.

20. Jabiru96

When I went the window was boarded up and you could only view her from above.