Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Taronga Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'Australia' started by BennettL, 2 Jan 2017.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

2. Chlidonias

What did the post say specifically?

3. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It was a photo with the echidna, that appeared to be taken from inside an exhibit. As I’m not very familiar with Taronga, I asked here to see if anybody had additional information.

4. Chlidonias

Is it an open Facebook page? I can't help with the answer myself I don't think.

5. Osprey71

Osprey71 Well-Known Member

THE BONGO ARE GOING DOWN TO WERE THE DEER WERE. THE DEER HAVE GONE TO HUNTER VALLEY. THE BARBARY SHEEP HAVE GONE TO ANOTHER ZOO. DUBBO. THE GIRAFFE ARE MOVING. WITHIN THE ZOO.

AS FOR THE ZOO MAGAZINE. NO CHIMP NEWS.

ORANG UTANS GOING TO MOGO SHORTLY.

Kifaru Bwana and ZooBoyNZ like this.
  6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hello, there will be news habitat in 2018 ? how habitat koala, kangaroo .....

8. Osprey71

NEWBORN AUSTRALIAN SEA-LION PUP MAKES A SPLASH AT TARONGA

Taronga Zoo Sydney today announced the birth of a cute yet endangered male Australian Sea-lion pup named Moby, which has made a playful splash in his new home at Seal Cove.

Moby was born on Friday 6 October to mother Lexie and father Charlie and has gradually built his confidence swimming. Keepers are now confident that Moby can move with his mum from a shallow pool to a larger pool where guests will be able to view him diving and playing.

Keepers named the pup Moby because, at 11.04kg, he weighed approximately four kilograms more than the average birth weight for an Australian Sea-lion pup.

Taronga Zoo Sydney is one of only three organisations in Australia with the resources to care for and breed the Australian Sea-lion, which tend to be very active, intelligent and inquisitive. Gestation for Australian Sea-lions is 17.5 months, which is longer than any other seal species, which typically take 12 months.

“There are only 24 individual Australia Sea-lions in zoos or aquariums worldwide, and this pup is the sixth Australian Sea-lion at Taronga Zoo. While guests may admire Moby for his cuteness, we admire him for the hope that he represents,” said Unit Supervisor of Marine Mammals Andrew Irvine

Wild populations of this species are still struggling to recover since the ban on hunting earlier last century.

“This breeding program benefits the 13,000 Australian Sea-lions left remaining in the wild, which live in isolated groups along the coasts of South Australia and Western Australia,” Andrew said.

“Australians can help Australian Sea-lions like Moby in the wild by choosing to eat sustainable seafood certified by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC). Eating MSC-certified sustainable seafood means that Australians can be confident that seafood is caught sustainability, and won’t harm Australian Sea-lions,” said Andrew.

“This is especially timely given how much Australians love seafood at Christmas,” he said.

Moby and his mother Lexie can be seen throughout the day at Taronga Zoo Sydney’s Seal Cove these School Holidays, where Moby will be playfully exploring his new surroundings.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any more info on Taronga's Australian sea lion group (apart from mum, dad and pup).

10. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just a quick note:
    The Long-beaked Echidna is definitely back on-show in the Nocturnal House's second to last exhibit.

The Greater Stick-nest Rats have moved into their own enclosure at the NH (second exhibit).
    The Platypus House (where they were held before) now has another Bilby in addition to two Platypus tanks.

AWP, pachyderm pro and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  11. Osprey71

Nothing only about the new pup.

12. ZooBoyNZ

ZooBoyNZ Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Taronga have updated their online map which shows that bongo are indeed now on display in the former deer exhibit on the Rainforest Trail.

13. Najade

I don't know which one the old deer exhibit is, but I definitely saw one the day before yesterday.

14. ZooBoyNZ

ZooBoyNZ Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The exhibit is adjacent to the leaf monkey enclosure on the Rainforest Trail and has held spotted deer until early November when @Osprey71 reported they had moved to Hunter Valley Zoo. But if you saw one a couple days ago then I don't know whether that statement is credible or not! Taronga did remove the deer from the map last month though, and it has only just been updated to show bongo in that enclosure.

15. Chlidonias

It has a big tree with a fake leopard in the branches (assuming the leopard is still there).

16. Najade

I meant: I saw a Bongo on the Rainforest Trail. Sorry for the confusion.