Join our zoo community

Tasmanian Devils at the Los Angeles Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by SharkFinatic, 7 Jan 2019.

1. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm curious about the state of Tasmanian devils at the L.A. Zoo. They aren't listed on the zoo's website as one of their exhibited animals, and I couldn't find them on the zoo's map. However, I haven't seen anything that suggests that the zoo sent them away, so does anybody know if the zoo still exhibits them or not?

2. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I found this video proving the Tasmanian devils were at the zoo at least 5 months ago .
    I could be wrong but I don't think the zoo ever made a page for them or included them on the map. If they are still there they're in exhibit 13 on this map (fyi this is an old map which is why some animals don't match the current stock [​IMG]

3. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The devils have been at the zoo for the last few years. They were there when I last visited the zoo in December 2018 (a month ago from when I write this), and to my knowledge are still there.

4. SharkFinatic

Thanks for the info.

5. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They have two devils, who are brothers.

6. SharkFinatic

Thanks everyone for the info. The reason I asked is because I was considering a visit to this zoo in the future, and wanted to be sure that the devils would still be there. (Also, from past comments on this site, this zoo doesn't seem to be an especially beloved one. Would any of you recommend skipping it over, or still think it's worth a visit?)

7. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Tasmanian devils are a major exhibit at the LA Zoo, so wouldn't expect it to go away.

The LA Zoo has a lot of work to do to modernize, which they know and are putting a new master plan in place to do. The reptile house is one of the best in the country. They have many species that zoo nerds want to see like parenti, mountain tapirs and red uakari. The elephant exhibit is very good. If any of that appeals to you, then would recommend the zoo.

8. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I absolutley loved visiting in 2017. The elephant and reptile exhibits are some of the best in the country and they have an amazing giant otter exhibit as well. There are areas that desperately need improvement but the zoo is one of the best in the country in my opinion

9. SharkFinatic

Well, I'll let y'all know if or when I'll be visiting.