Join our zoo community

Tassie Devils

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoo_Boy, 23 Sep 2007.

1. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

Could western plains be a holder of a huge group of tassie devels? maybe i am reading to much into it. please details anyone of you ahve any!

The article also says 15- 20 us and european zoos will get tassie devils after a population build up in oz, great read!

Zoos build gene pool to save devil - Environment - smh.com.au

2. torie

torie Well-Known Member

thats really intersesting and good that something can be done to stop the DFT. for a long time it seemed like t was the end of the road for devils.

but im confused is it 120 devils split between Taronga and Dubbo or all out at Dubbo where there is more spacE?

3. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

It has allready been decided, that should the four devils at Copenhagen Zoo breed, their offspring will go to european zoos, to help start a european brreding programme.

4. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

Aren't Chester interested?

I think they'd be a great species for London to take on too, they could be a big attraction but wouldn't take up too much space.

5. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I think that a lot of zoos are intersted, but i dont think that anything is decided before we actually get some devilbabies

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

London have kept them before, in the Nocturnal section of the Clore. For people in the UK and Europe, the main interest is in their name, rather than the animals themselves....

7. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

That may be true for the wide public, but i'm just loving the tazzies here in Copenhagen. They are a very interesting species to observe, and especially to listen to ;)

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Judging by the Oz press release it is realistic to expect that once more Tasmanian devils are born in the ARAZPA program, some will be shipped within Australia to increase the breeding pool of zoos while others will be shipped to European zoos.

Tasmanian devils were previously held - I think during the 80's - in captivity in Europe. For some dark unknown reason they just vanished in the mid 90's. I do not think that breeding was any problem. I have vivid memories of Tasmanian devils at my local zoo in Amsterdam. Great animals!

9. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

part of the problem with devils is that with such short lifespans there its not really possible to "breed them when you need them" like most zoos do. if they fail to breed first season, they probably will never. thus its highly likely the copenhagen animals will die out and europe will once again be deviless.

10. Pertinax

You might say its a 'devil' of a job to keep perpetuate them in captivity then...

11. Rookeyper

Rookeyper Well-Known Member

We housed a total of 12 Tassie devils at Ft. Wayne from 1987 to 2004 when the last one in captivity outside of Australia died here. We have a large exhibit area and tried numerous times to breed them. We did see at least one infant in the pouch years ago, but it soon disappeared. We tried breeding animals of all ages and even worked extensively with a local university to try to determine fertility.
    All institutions hoping to house these animals will be required to undergo a training course at Trowunna. One of our employees is leaving in about 3 weeks to attend this course. These are fascinating animals and are terribly missed in the US. Somehow, the parma wallabies that are now in that exhibit just don't garner the same attention!

12. Pertinax

Its interesting that everyone reckons they are such an interesting exhibit. I seem to remember that when they were kept at London Zoo in the nocturnal part of the Clore Pavilion, there was some initial publicity, based largely on the 'DEVIL' name but after that I never remember anyone showing any particular interest in them at all. They weren't a species the average visitor went to see. Maybe it was an exhibit problem rather than the animals themselves, I don't know...

13. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Warner Bros. character did alot for them here a few years back. He was very popular and helped rasie our devils popularity. If I remember correctly Warner Bros, sometime in the last two or three years agreed to help out with the Tassie Devil's. Not sure what happened with this

14. Pertinax

I can imagine... This IS probably a species that needs "marketing" to achieve popularity for zoo-goers.

15. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

i still can't belive melbourne doesn't display them!!! especially wen they breed them at heallesville

i actually think in australia, they are one of the more popular antive animals.

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Has anyone caught on to the latest news on the tassie devils. Scientists have investigated tassie devil genetics and found that they have very limited diversity in them. Perhaps a response to an earlier disease. This has now made them particularly susceptible to the facial papilloma tumours. :eek:

17. Potto

Potto Well-Known Member

Wow, that'd be so cool!! let me know when any devils have reached the USA and other European zoos (besides Copenhaghen).

18. Potto

Potto Well-Known Member

19. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was disapointed to find that Dubbo does not display them. I was told they were breeding them though, but I am sorry I did not ask how many they had.

20. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member