Join our zoo community

Tayto Park Tayto Park news

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by dublinlion, 24 May 2013.

1. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. craigc91

craigc91 New Member

There has been prolific breeding so far this year at Tayto park, in addition to those mentioned above, they've had 3 Eurasian Lynx cubs, 7 Corsac fox kits, a Meerkat, as well as lambs, kids and a colt

3. craigc91

craigc91 New Member

forgot to add Bennetts wallaby joeys and Parma wallaby joeys

4. dublinlion

5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. Nisha

A pair of female Fossa have arrived - possibly from Port Lympne or Kessingland ? (just a guess)

7. Nisha

Now known that the Fossa's in question came from Reseve Zoologique Calviac, France

8. ArboLowe

ArboLowe Well-Known Member

9. dublinlion

A pair of White Headed Vultures have recently arrived and the hope is to breed them. Eight new eagle aviaries are being constructed and afaik they will have good height. The bop will now be well catered for, as last year eight good sized enclosures were built but they lacked height, and I assume they will now be used for the smaller hawks and vultures. There are also some nice large owl enclosures and decent pheasant aviaries.
    Some of the species I saw late last year that are not listed on Zootierliste were,
    Hooded, White Backed, American Black and King vultures.
    Northern Hawk, Great Grey, Tawny, Brown Wood and Indian Eagle owls.
    African Fish, Verraeaux Black and Imperial ( not sure on this) eagles.
    Other special birds are Stellars Eagle, Secretary bird and Edwards pheasant.

10. dublinlion

In the above post (working from memory I included some species that are in fact already listed on Zootierliste. (great grey and tawny owls and the 2 American vulture species).
    There are some hoofstock species in large paddocks viewable as you exit the park. These are in good sized herds, Ankole cattle, Barbary sheep and a large deer species.

11. dublinlion

Does anyone remember which uk zoo the crested macacques were coming to tayto from and how many in the group.

12. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Marwell wasn't it.

dublinlion likes this.
  13. dublinlion

I just noticed Zootierliste has been updated to include most of the newer species. Its a great resource and I always check it whenever a new zoo is to be visited.

14. dublinlion

The new eagle exhibit looks good, it is octagonal with 8 sections and about 3 to 4 metres tall. The majestic birds displayed are, 2 Bald and 1 each of, Golden, Stellers, White tailed, African fish, Spanish Imperial and Grey buzzard eagle. Other new additions elsewhere are Jackal buzzard, Yellow billed kite and Southern Boobok, Western Screech and Northern white faced owls. Blackcheeked lovebirds housed with Elegant crested tinamou and Von der deckens hornbill are also new this year. Vultures, Griffon, White backed and White headed are housed in a huge netted enclosure. The newly arrived Sulawesi Macaques are housed in the large former Puma enclosure. This park is improving rapidly and helped by the winter closure and the wood and netting structure rather than concrete, good enclosures are built quickly.
    This is now my second favourite zoo to visit with only Loro Park edging it.

ArboLowe likes this.
  15. dublinlion

New additions are Palm Nut Vulture and a new Secretary Bird. There are also some other species off show such as a fishing owl and small falcons and hawks. There are plans to add other new species.

kiang likes this.
  16. dublinlion

There is a definite feel good factor about this place. It reminds me of the early days of the English country zoos such as howletts and marwell. The staff are buzzing and chatty and excited by the new species. There has been a priority on building the rides for the last couple of years but there seems to be more effort going into the zoo recently. The BOP number 35 species and the new aviary for free lofting Eagles looks good.
    It is a very flat site, so ideal for families with young children or people with mobility problems, and the catering is good and reasonably priced.
    Even though there are lots of rarities the most popular animals with visitors are Meerkats, Tigers and Puma.

17. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's Eastern Imperial rather than Spanish.

dublinlion and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  18. dublinlion

How do you know this Mike, it is signed as Spanish and being slightly surprised by this myself, I asked several of the falconers and they said it was a young male Sp, Imp. I have seen both species in the wild and they are almost visually identical.

19. dublinlion

The Aardwolf female has moved to Halle in Germany (possibly being replaced by Anteater) and the 2 female Fossa have moved to other zoos for breeding. Fishing cat and Jaguarundi have gone to the UK.
    The general visitor had little interest in these semi nocturnal animals and since becoming part of Biaza the collection is changing to a more mainstream type of zoo. There are still nice species though such as Puma, Leopard, Bush dog and the Raptor collection is still being expanded. Black and Black shoulder Kites are recent arrivals and Hornbill and Stork species are potentially on the radar.
    I love visiting this place as there is continuous expansion and a really good rustic vibe.

20. Nisha

Recent arrivals include 5 Golden Jackal from Arnhem. All siblings from the same litter.

A pair of Binturong are also onshow. Not sure which species of Binturong or origins

dublinlion likes this.