Join our zoo community

Tecton/Lubetkin Architecture Updates?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by sealion, 29 Aug 2010.

1. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

I know there are a few other similar threads, but I haven't seen any that recently.

Does anyone know what is happening with any of the Art deco style Tecton and Lubetkin buildings/pieces in either Whipsnade, London or Dudley?

Their supposed listed statuses (I presume that all the pieces are listed) mean that they cannot be demolished or altered so what plans do the zooz have for them?

I went to Whipsnade a few days ago and got a few photos of the elephant house (see gallery for one), but nothing seems to be going on there. It would be cool if they could even just open it up for people to look inside- I would certainly want a look!

But anyway, does anyone know?

2. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When the Bartlett Society visited Whipsnade in the Spring we were taken inside the old Elephant House . It seems to be used as a dumping ground for the Gardens Department and was a bit of a mess . I think some photos have been posted here by others who were there that day .

3. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

I can only speak for London as that is the only one I have visited.

The roundhouse, as many have mentioned already, has been closed for ages. There are aye-ayes in there but not on show. The outside area has ring-tailed lemurs in it.

The lubetkin penguin pool is now empty and used as a fountain. This plan appears long term.

I know Dudley have lots of Tecton bits- would be interested to know how they are being used. I actually think the two London pieces are quite nice-looking - and the photos of Dudley that I have seen look OK too. It's a shame if they become unworkable or out-of-date though as it starts to be a waste of money/space.

4. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

A recent photograph suggests that the aye-ayes are no longer housed in the roundhouse:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39097844@N03/4777952448/

I don't think ZSL appear as enamoured with these structures as some sections of the general public/zoo architecture enthusiasts. The exterior of the roundhouse is okay, but to house a species people now associate with open spaces and wooded walk-throughs (ring-tailed lemurs) doesn't do it any favours. I would love for them to reverse the building into its winter mode and simply leave it as an exhibitition piece with information about its past inhabitants.

I would expect Dudley (if external funding becomes available following the recent inclusion of its Tecton's on the World Monument Fund Britain watch list) to be the zoo to watch in terms of any rennovation to Tecton architecture.

I keep banging on about this in the gallery, but I am absolutely convinced that the back wall of the Dudley black bear pit was added later and is not listed...there are several photographs of the original barred fenced matching the original tiger fence....meaning the entire tecton carnivore complex could be extended back up the hill if it was to be refurbished. It is clear also that the black bear uses the indoor polar bear area as the old lion dens are unused on the other side of the enclosure.

I think Dudley has greater scope for re-using its Tecton enclosures for animals than London.

Last edited: 29 Aug 2010
  5. sealion

Thanks for the info.

I agree that Dudley is probably the one to watch. What kind of upkeep do listed buildings require, because quite a few of them, as you have said aren't in very good condition- visually anyway!

6. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Dudley's tecton buildings are at present a bit of a hold back for the zoo.
    The old Tropical house/Bird avary as been very well intregated into the Lion enclosure but I'm sure something more could be done with the top of the building (say turn it into a cafe were you can eat in or eat outside and view the Lions.
    The 2 kiosks are not in to bad a state and could easily be used as information points.
    The triple enclosure (Bear pits) is planned to be transformed into a primate enclosure with the polar bear pit being the indoor enclosure and yes I think they will be extended to the rear.
    The discovery centre used to be a cafe and was transformed some years ago (don't know when but this is a tecton building that has been altered)
    The only problem I can see is the Bear Ravine as this is in serious decay and to be honest I think it will be better if they were to demolished this building for safety reasons (I think this is the best example of the tecton collection) if this was to happen i would be upset as this is a really brilliant piece of engineering as it's on a very steep incline
    Tecton buildings are brilliant peices of engineering and should be saved for the future generations I hope the zoos can find a use for them in todays and there future plans as they could be used for a different type of visitor it's just a case of funding or sponsorships.

7. ^Chris^

Aah, interesting. ISIS says London just have the one pair, so the roundhouse must be without aye-ayes. I guess it was proving unsuitable in some way.

I agree regarding the ring-tailed lemurs, it seems small for them and even regardless of size unsuitable in its style compared to the lush islands or wooded walk-through we're used to. I think as a space the round house could still be useable though, even if it's just for marmosets or Prevost's squirrels or the likes. I suppose planting is a little limited because it's got a concrete floor, but nevertheless I think it'd appear particularly sad and tired if empty.

I am almost certain that the listed status prevents this, but the mesh couldn't be removed or replaced with glass could they?

**EDIT: It appears I am not as observant as I would like to think! The enclosure has glass viewing! But that's not always been the case though ( although probably has been each time I've seen it. I must be used to the old photos.)**

Last edited: 29 Aug 2010
  8. ^Chris^

I read up on Dudley- somewhere on the internet it said there were 'health and safety' issues regarding these kiosks. I don't know if this meant H&S in terms of food hygeine, preventing them being used as the ice-cream kiosks they were intended to be, or whether these were safety issues regarding the buildings themselves. Anyone?

9. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

There H&S issues with all the Tecton Buildings at Dudley Zoo
    This is due to lack of funding and English Heritage not allowing the zoo to try and keep the buildings in some sort of reasonable state.
    Just last year they were not allowed to paint any of the outside parts of any of the Buildings except for the Tropical House.
    Lack of funding from English Heritage and broken promises from the Local Council have hindered the upkeep of the Tecton buildings as the zoo and it's staff have tried to do everything they can to keep the buildings safe.
    I wouldn't hold my breathe for any funding coming through the buildings being entered on to the World Monument fund listings either.

10. sealion

You'd think they'd make them paint them etc!

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

English Heritage? Time for the whistleblower!!! :rolleyes: