Join our zoo community

Zoo København The Artic Ring

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by Toddy, 27 Aug 2008.

1. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I have just recieved information about the newest project in Copenhagen Zoo. This will be called The Arctic Ring and focus on the wildlife found in Greenland. For those of you who don't know it, Greenland is still a part of Denmark.

The exhibit will feature polar bears as the main attraction, but also common seals can be seen here. Other species that may be exhibited here are snowy owls and polar foxes, but these are not certain yet.

The new polar bear enclosure will be 7-8 times bigger than the one they have now. Either 1.1 or 1.2 polar bears + young will be living here. Inspiration for this enclosure comes from the great polar bear enclosures of North America i.e Toledo, Memphis and Detroit. It will include a large land part and a deep water part as well as a glass tunnel for visitors.

Here is how the model for the exhibit looks so far:
    [​IMG]

And the location. The polar bear enclosure will be one of the exhibits in the zoo's nordic section:
    [​IMG]

The Artic Ring will also include exhibitions on the wildlife of Greenland, marine mammals and the effects of global warming.

Please remember that these plans are preliminary, and nothing is certain yet (except the location).

Feel free to ask any questions :)

2. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If I were to plan, this area would be new paddock for reindeer and muskox (this can be fenced relatively easy), and polar bears would get lots of space on bear grottos + current reindeer/muskox paddock.

Frankly, old grottos will never look good - just thin "tongue" added to brown bears. And planned exhibit is just barely the space needed for polar bears, and in 10-20 years time it will be regarded as too small.

Just my 5 cents worth, as far as I remember Copenhagen zoo. :)

3. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I don't see the point? That would just mean moving two species that are doing quite well in their current enclosures (reindeer and muskox). Also, that area woulden't be bigger than the current planned area for the polar bears.

I think they will if the bears will be allowed to climb on top of the rocks shaping the grottos (which is the plan).

4. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

Toddy,

When will this amazing looking exhibit be finished? Just wanna know, because i wanna return to Copenhagen when it's finished.

5. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

The plans for the exhibit will be completed this winter 08/09. Then it is a matter of raising the money and building it so no one knows when the exhibit will be finished yet.

6. Chris79

Chris79 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nice model. Any idea of the overall area of the exhibit? Or where the snowy owls and foxes will go? Is this another architect-led design like the Fosters elephant house?

The cynic in me says there'll only be one glass tunnel by the time it gets built ;)

7. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

While I certainly appreciate Jurek7s points, I must say that if the current plans are executed the conditions for the polar bears in Copenhegen would be so much better than than the conditions under which they live now.

The area that you suggest, Jurek7, would not be much bigger (if any bigger, at all) than the one that the zoo now is planning for.

As for the brown bears, yes... I hope that their space will be vastly expanded. As I have suggested in another thread, the wolf enclosure enclosure next to the brown bears is absolutely too small for wolfes. If you were to combine the present spaces för polar bears, brown bears and wolfes into one enclosure for brown bears, the area would be somewhat OK for an inner city zoo.

Those would be my ideas for the planners at Copenhagen Zoo to work with.

8. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

What exactly do you mean with "overall area"?

The snowy owls and polar foxes will most likely be where the aviary for owls is today. On the map i have uploaded in the first post that is where there is an exhibit marked "Ugle" (danish for owl). Somewhere around there.

No, this exhibit will be built by the zoo's own architects.

I just realised how many new exhibits have opened in Copenhagen Zoo since year 2000 alone. Here is a quick overview (the ones in bold typing are the major projects):

2001 - Giraffe house
    2001 - Breeding Center for Reptiles and Amphibians
    2003 - Galapagos tortoise house and enclosure
    2004 - Seal exhibit
    2004 - South American aviary
    2004 - Sable antelope enclosure
    2004 - African Aviaries
    2004 - Amphiteatre
    2005 - Polar bear (exhibit renovated and doubled in size)
    2006 - Tasmanian devil
    2006 - White rhinoceros
    2007 - Savannah
    2007 - Hippo house
    2008 - Elephant house
    2008 - Red panda

That's 15 new exhibits in just 8 years :eek:
    And then there are all the new species in old exhibits and such, as well as a couple of new terrariums etc. Looking forward to:

2010/2011 - The Arctic Ring

9. Chris79

Chris79 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sorry, I meant overall size. Thanks for the other answers.

I don't think any zoo in Britain can match Copenhagen's pace of development. What are the annual visitor numbers, approximately?

10. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

Copenhagen Zoo is a great zoo, and it will be better when The Arctic Ring is finished... But will it really be in 2010/2011?

11. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Chris79 asks:
    "What are the annual visitor numbers, approximately?"

If memory seves me right it is in the region of one million per year.

12. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

2010/2011 is my personal estimate. Could be a little later... (hope not)

The average anual visitor numbers in Copenhagen Zoo are 1.100.000

13. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

if I understand correctly, there will be 1 enclosure for 2, maybe even 3 bears?

I thought that zoos nowadays tried to build at least 2 enclosures to keep the animals (or at least the sexes) separately untill breeding time. which would be somewhat according to the animals natural behaviour.

14. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

According to the exhibit description it will be possible to seperate the polar bears when the the females(s) have young

15. forumbully

ok nice.

what are the odds of this being ready around next sept? say the 27th?
    not good?

damn, won't they start building if they know I'm coming over
    :p

16. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Do you mean this september (2008) or next september (2009). Any case seems unlikely anyway :p. Unless some big shot throws a lot of money at us this winter, then it might be finished in 2009.

Say forumbully, are you comming to Denmark? And if so, do you need a guide in Copenhagen Zoo?

17. forumbully

yep, this september the 26th randers, 27th copenhagen zoo and the 28th krokodillezoo.

I already have a guide in copenhagen, think you know him, it's frederik schütt from nordic zoos.
    but I don't think it's a problem if you tag along.

18. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Looks like a very nice project! I've never been to this zoo, although I was in Copenhagen last year grrr... not enough time!

19. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Funding secured

There is exciting news regarding the Arctic Ring project. The funding for the project has now been secured thanks to a donation granting the Zoo 150.000.000 Danish kr. That is the same as 20 150 998 €, 28 886 455.84 $ or 17 626 078.08 £. It is the largest single donation in the history of the zoo.

As previously mentioned the Arctic Ring will provide exhibits for polar bears and some atlantic bird species, including puffins. The current habour seal exhibit will be integrated and expanded as well.

The Arctic Ring is expected to open in the spring of 2012.

20. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Toddy, do you think there is any possibility that they will obtain other pinniped species found in Greenland, such as walrus or some other types of seal as well as common seal? Would make it so much more exciting, even if it is very exciting currently!