Join our zoo community

The Cricket Thread

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Rajang21, 27 Oct 2021.

Tags:
  1. Rajang21

Rajang21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It isn't a sport that appeals to everyone but, hopefully, there are some like-minded people on the forum that enjoy cricket as much as I do! I know @ThomasNotTom isn't one of them. I hope this thread can be a good place for people to discuss tournaments, players, etc. as well as our members' own playing exploits!

To begin: the T20 World Cup is well underway and shaping up to be an interesting tournament. Highlights so far include:
    • Scotland making the Super 12s group stages
    • England started with a resounding win over the reigning champions West Indies (who look to be out of the running after losing their second game to South Africa)
    • Pakistan's statement 10-wicket win over favourites India. After winning against New Zealand, Pakistan are now slight tournament favourites according to CricViz.
    • Afghanistan showing their credentials with a huge 130-run win over Scotland
    As I've been writing this, England have started very well against Bangladesh - Moeen Ali has just taken two wickets in two balls!

TNT likes this.
  2. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

To say I snorted at this is an understatement :p:D

Rajang21 likes this.
  3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Cricket is splendid. T20 is not my favourite format, but it still beats most other sports. I even surprised myself by enjoying The Hundred, but roll on The Ashes - that's proper cricket.

pipaluk, Pootle and Rajang21 like this.
  4. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

I’m not a cricket fan, but with Indian parents there’s gonna be at least one person in the family. Everyone except for me likes cricket, but my little sister loves the IPL. My dad was the one who got her interested, as he love cricket and played a lot when he was a kid. As far as I’m concerned the only important things is India beating Pakistan :p

IndianRhino likes this.
  5. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Similar thoughts, T20 is better in the ground watching with a drink! haha

But give me test cricket all day long, 5 days of fun. :D

Pootle likes this.
  6. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

I don't like cricket, I love it......

As has been said above I too am very much of a Test match fan/traditionalist. However, I do believe that T20 has its place in the game and most young players aim of success with it. For this T20 World Cup, I think the winner could be one of 4, Eng, NZ, Pak & India. Pakistan are probably the weakest of those 4, but in my experience they are the most unpredictable team in the game, be it this form, ODI or Test, brilliant one week, awful the next. Wasim Akram was a player I loved watching for Lancashire when I was younger.

Put me in the garden in a sunny day on a comfy recliner with TMS on Radio 4 and I'm as happy as a pig in muck for hours.

7. Rajang21

Rajang21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The World T20 has really livened up over the last few days. Emphatic win yesterday for England over Australia. Huge marker laid down to the other teams in this tournament.

Pre-tournament favourites India hanging by a thread after losing to New Zealand today. Complete misreading of conditions / bad tactical approach so far. Afghanistan still in with a shout of making the semi-finals.

On the test match front, Ben Stokes is back to fitness and has been added to England's Ashes squad. A massive bonus for the team; as an Essex supporter I hope Dan Lawrence does not miss out on opportunities because of it. Also from an Essex perspective, we have signed the exciting young all-rounder Matt Critchley from Derbyshire who should slot straight into our team.

8. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be about the insects I feed to my Leopard gecko...

Pootle and Fallax like this.