Join our zoo community

The End of the Zoo Industry?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by SharkFinatic, 17 Jun 2020.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm not sure I would go that far but it does seem somewhat likely.

At first I wondered if donations from the public could possibly cover at least part of the money needed. But I don't think that's going to happen. If Como Park was about to close it would easily get lots of donations and public outcry but I don't think Minnesota would get very much.

Really a shame, as Como Park is overrated and almost kind of boring IMO, at least when compared to Minnesota.

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

3. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, if this goes on long enough (and it could) that could happen. But if it does, I still maintain that new zoos will open up when things calm down. There's demand for it.

4. TheMightyOrca

So, that's something else I've been thinking about. Americans are notoriously individualistic and despite the spike in cases, I doubt many Americans or the government officials will be willing to go into lockdown again. So many people barely cooperated with it the first time around. If closure isn't required by the government, will zoos be willing to take the risk and remain open out of necessity? Especially given that a lot of the concern about spread is focused on indoor, crowded spaces.

It's really lousy. I'm making more money off of unemployment right now and I feel a little bad about it, considering that so many essential workers make such low wages as it is.

ZooBinh and ThylacineAlive like this.
  5. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

That makes perfect sense if you are located somewhere where the pandemic feels like some other place's problem. Here in NYC where 900 people a day were dying and everyone knew people who had COVID19 it was different. Yes, now that the death rate has dropped (to 19 yesterday) and summer is here people are getting sloppy again, but as cases rise rapidly in other states (like Arizona and Florida) the fear will sober people up. For awhile. Americans and politicians may not easily agree to lockdowns again but where the coronavirus becomes virulent people will be more likely to return to self isolating.

6. Ann Esther Sprizzo

Ann Esther Sprizzo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited Beardsley Zoo in Connecticut today and was very impressed with how they have adjusted some of their policies to be mindful of protecting patrons and animals under present circumstances. Most inside exhibits and attractions are closed. Outdoor exhibits are accessible via one a single direction to facilitate more orderly foot traffic, cafeterias are closed, no paper maps or tickets are offered. The entire zoo closes midday to be sanitized and admission is prepaid for either a morning or afternoon session to control numbers. Masks are mandatory and people did seem for the most part to comply. It’s a pretty good working model.

7. TheMightyOrca

I guess I just don't have a lot of faith in the American people. I certainly hope my pessimism is unwarranted.

8. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited yesterday as well! :p

I saw a few people without masks but for the most part people complied. The zoo has a very good route set up I must say.

~Thylo

Ann Esther Sprizzo likes this.
  9. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sharing this not because it’s zoo-related - it isn’t - but because there’s a figure in it that chills the blood. American state and local governments are heading for a $1 trillion budget hit, and in nearly every state they are required by law to deliver surplus budgets. That means job losses and grant cuts.

No American zoo that relies on public sector funding for a meaningful slice of their revenue is safe. Not one. The Second Great Depression

10. Ann Esther Sprizzo

Ann Esther Sprizzo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is certainly a valid point and one of my biggest fears. Living in New York it is very obvious jobs and people were fleeing the burdensome cost of being here way before the pandemic. Now things are much worse of course and I greatly fear when zoos will be low on the priority list where public funding is concerned. To date they haven’t even announced a reopening date for the zoo after 4 months of closure.