Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo The Giraffes are coming & £55m make over

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jane Doe, 28 Mar 2015.

1. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As I recall we were told the mix of pure-bred chimps is something unfortunate like the old females are and the fertile males aren't, can't quite remember the details.

Aren't Edinburgh's maintained as single group with the 'right' animals allowed to breed and the others prevented. Does it have to be a 'new' group/old group set-up.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes they are. The main difference is Twycross have 23(or is it 24) Chimps already, about the same size as Edinburgh's two groups( pure and generic) combined, maybe bigger. So housing all that lot may still use up all the available space in the new enclosure, at least until the number diminishes a bit from natural mortality. If they have done tests already and have known purebreds at Twycross as you say, then maybe they will reshuffle them into pure and generic groupings, or do as Edinburgh do and keep them mixed but allow only breeding from the purebreds. But I don't know exactly what the purebred component at Twycross is- if there is one, that is.

Of course, its possible they may be just planning to exhibit the existing Chimps with no encouragement of further breeding.

3. stulch

stulch Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From Twitter:

‏@TwycrossZoo We are full!!! If you haven't already set off please delay your visit until tomorrow!! And thank you so much to those that are here

41mins ago

4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This doesn't surprise me, as when I visited on Saturday the zoo was very busy and large areas of the car park were unusable due to heavy rain the previous 2 or 3 days
    It seems the protesters that were outside the other day aren't doing much of a job!!

5. Pertinax

They really need to sort that out. They must be losing visitors if they can't use all the carpark space at times after rain, as there is no other mode of travel for most people to get there. Today's 'full-up' though sounds more like a traditional bank holiday crush- good for them but glad I wasn't there....

6. stulch

stulch Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From the other thread in case you hadn't seen it:-

7. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What was being protested?

8. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Of course animals running wild would be much better, but whilst were having to provide armed body guards to wild Rhinos in Africa, there clearly is a needed for high quality, well equipped zoos - if not to learn, to protect the animals.

10. Pertinax

I don't think you can park safely anywhere nearby along the A444 can you? People walking along the road from their cars to the Zoo entrance would be hazardous too.

I note the current plans also show provision of overflow car parking in the future.

11. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited Twycross today for the first time in at least 4 years. Mostly I would say it was as good as it was and in some ways better.

There is a general trend that I found disturbing, there were lots of signs saying the management know the paths need attention (potholed, muddy and waterlogged) but at the same time lots of people working on the new water based playground (which will only be useful in a few of the hottest weeks of the year).

12. Pertinax

Car Parking and state of pathways in the Zoo there both need immediate attention. But the playground will be expected to draw in more visitors so probably (wrongly) takes precedence.

13. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

I think they've done a good job on the pathways, most have been relaid and are in good working order. The car park though is dreadful. It needs redoing from scratch. I think the ground is just too boggy to sustain grass car parks even with the plastic covers they've tried. It'll cost a fortune to get them done.

14. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Last edited: 8 Apr 2015
  15. Hexaprotodon

Hexaprotodon Well-Known Member

Good grief - that photograph brings back some bad memories of the Southport Zoo protestors. Twycross is a better Zoo than Southport was, but they should still be very careful with these people targeting them, Twycross doesn't exactly have money to throw away and anybody who they successfully manage to turn away is obviously resulting in a bit more lost revenue. I hope the Zoo set up some kind of display putting across the opposite point of view or have members of the education team out explaining to the public the Zoo's message?

16. Pertinax

Animal rights protesters also had a demo outside Edinburgh Zoo on the same day- apparently because the Easter Holiday Monday is such a popular day for Zoo visiting. Were there demos at other zoos too?

17. haydn

haydn Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well the weekend they were there the zoo was practically turning people away they were so busy so doesn't seem to of made too much difference there.

18. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The 3rd Giraffe arrived yesterday (12 April)

19. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Reasonably sure the 12th April is not until this Sunday, hehe. :D

20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And the lucky draw(er) is?