Join our zoo community

The Greatest Zoo Exhibit Complexes of All Time

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by pachyderm pro, 9 Apr 2020.

1. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Exactly. I think that is really true, and mostly because the newer zoos have the luxury of starting from scratch and basing their zoos around clear cut areas which are preferable for theming and making an orderly zoo. Meanwhile, zoos with older leftover infrastructure do not have this luxury and instead have to work around these older exhibits. For example, Vienna, London and Paris Menagerie look as if someone took a bag of exhibits and emptied it out onto a piece of land they are so disorganised (geographically).

2. Philipine eagle

Philipine eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I like large complexes at zoos because they're time-consuming (in a good sense), exiting and offer good quality for money in terms of species, enclosures and much more.

The great ones in Europe i.m.o. :

Ocean-Desert-Rainforest Complex at Burgers' Zoo
    The Great and the Little Rock at Budapest Zoo
    Islands at Chester Zoo
    Alfred Brehme House and Mountain complex at Tierpark Berlin
    Aquarium/reptile/insect House Zoo Berlin
    Eismeer Hagenbeck Zoo
    Oceanium Blijdorp Zoo
    Darwinarium Rostock Zoo
    Gondwanaland Leipzig Zoo
    Grzimeck-Exotarium complex Frankfurt Zoo

Some complexes in old city zoos like Artis (Birdhouse-Monkeyhouse-Reptile House) or Antwerp (Man Ape House - Grottoe - African Buffalo Aviary) are good but cannot be compared with the ones mentioned above.

I also consider the superb Masoala Hall in Zurich not as a 'complex' in the meaning of this discussion, because it lacks separate enclosures.

The Rivièra Hall in Rotterdam with its outside enclosures would be a good contender in it's early days with it's large collection of mammals, primates, birds and herps.
    Such as the Jubileumcomplex at Antwerp with it's cats, bears, seals, bird of prey and Nocturama, but this complex is closed now (and to be honest, it couldn't compete with the others in terms of space).

HungarianBison and gulogulogulo like this.
  3. ThatOneZooGuy

ThatOneZooGuy Well-Known Member

I personally would suggest the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s: Rocky Mountain Wild as one of the best I’ve seen. First of all, the exhibits are incredible, allowing face to face encounters with Mexican Wolves and Grizzly Bears, an open air Bald Eagle exhibit, and a viewing tunnel running through the Mountain Lion exhibit! The area is also extremely immersive, suggesting it’s an exhibit displaying animals of the Rocky Mountains located in America’s only mountain zoo. Other species exhibited here include River Otters, North American Porcupines, a Canadian Lynx, a Moose, and Wild Turkey.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  4. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

Asia Monorail in Bronx
    Pongoland in Leipzig
    Gondwanaland in Leipzig
    Kiwara Savanna and Kopje in Leipzig
    Asia in Rotterdam

gulogulogulo and ThylacineAlive like this.
  5. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As a native Michigander I hate to give Ohio anything, but I'm glad Cleveland let's you see the beavers. Detroit's beaver exhibit is so-so, I usually go at least once a month, and I've never seen a beaver.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  6. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Both North Carolina and Indianapolis had “desert domes” well before Omaha. Both were much smaller (no room for Namibian sand dunes, oasis palm trees or “wave rock”), but are essentially the same concept. Kingdoms of the Night, however, is unarguably a unique extension and improvement over all past nocturnal exhibits.

7. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

Magic Mountain, Budapest
    Polarium in München
    Pantanal and Spectacled bears in Zürich
    Masoala in Zürich
    Kaeng Krachan in Zürich
    Okapi Aviary in Doué
    Realm of the Red Ape in Chester
    Night Trek in Kerzers
    Burgers' Bush
    Burgers' Rimba