Join our zoo community

The Kaiju Thread

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Yi Qi, 6 Feb 2019.

1. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Well, the reviews for Godzilla: King of the Monsters are out, and they're.... not good. Currently the Tomatometer is at 53%. I haven't seen the film, but I can assure you: the critics are wrong.

Last edited: 29 May 2019
    Ebirah766 likes this.
  2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am enough of a Pokemon fan that I watched the live Pokemon Press Conference from Tokyo. It was honestly as much of a Godzilla press conference as a Pokemon one!

By the way, I think that the Sonic movie would be better if they turned it into a Sonic kaiju.

3. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As someone who hasn't seen the movie yet but soon will, I'll say this to anyone who wants to see the film; ignore the critics. They're biggest bug with the movie is that there's too much monster fights and too little human storytelling; exactly what you'd want/expect from a Godzilla movie. The best way to find out how the movie is is to look at the audience reviews, as the majority of people who've seen it actually say that they liked it. The worst offender is Rotten Tomatoes, which has the film scoring in the 40's yet they put Star Wars the Last Jedi in the 90's, and i'm not a Star Wars fan but having seen that movie, I can tell you it doesn't deserve that percentage.

Last edited: 30 May 2019
    Ebirah766 likes this.
  4. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd just like to point out how when Godzilla (2014) came out, people said their wasn't enough Godzilla, but now that the new movie is out, one of the complaints I've consistently seen is that their is "too much monster." It'd be nice it people could just make up their minds for once.

Also, I'm seeing the movie in a couple hours and I'm so excited!

Ebirah766 and Loxodonta Cobra like this.
  5. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I plan on seeing it tomorrow, ideally in IMAX. So hyped, critics be damned!

Ebirah766 and Hipporex like this.
  6. Hipporex

Okay so I won't spoil anything but I'll just say that I truly enjoyed the movie. That being said I have some mixed feeling/confusion about certain scenes but overall I enjoyed it. Rotten Tomatoes definitely underscored this film. Also, stay for the credits as not only are there noteworthy details during the credits themselves but there is also a post-credit scene. I look forward to discussing the film more once some of you guys/gals see it.

Loxodonta Cobra likes this.
  7. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I saw Godzilla: King of the Monsters last night. I really want to like this movie, I really do, but
    Pros:
    • The kaiju battles are inevitably awesome.
    • The score and its sampling of the Toho themes
    • I actually didn't mind the human characters and their performances. Vera Faramiga and Kyle Chandler's scene particularly stand out to me as well as Bradley Whitford's character.
    • The fact the next film isn't set up with a post-credits scene but is incorporated into the main credits struck me as very clever.
    Cons:
    • I feel they kind of played it too safe with the kaiju designs. Ghidorah's felt too much like it belonged in a fantasy franchise and didn't seem very alien to me.
    • The new titans are underutilised, only seen in news reports until the end.
    • Some of the characters are very undercooked to me.

8. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ebirah is never a good guy in the movies either...

9. Hipporex

I'm going to see Godzilla a for a second time tonight with my dad for Father's Day and boy am I excited!

Also, before watching the movie again I rewatched the final trailer and boy can we agree that this is one of best trailers in a long while (albeit it may give a way a little too much):

10. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would personally like a better GCU, basically none of the monsters are bad guys and eventually we get some kind of epic kaiju Endgame movie where they all battle against the Xiliens. I would pay for that.

11. Hipporex

3 things:

1)
    After recently rewatching GKOTM I noticed on the Monarch map "Titanus mokele-mbembe". So it appears we may be getting a sauropod-ish kaiju in GvK. After digging around a little I found that according to a description given in the GKOTM novelization, mokele mbembe looks like this:
    [​IMG]

2) This video:

and 3) GvK release date has been changed yet again and went from March 13 to freaking November 20 (from 4.5 months away to 1 year away)! Like what the heck man! It better have some Avatar-level CG because of this.

Yi Qi likes this.
  12. Hipporex

Just when we thought 2020 couldn't get any worse: Godzilla vs Kong has been delayed AGAIN. The film is now scheduled to be released on May 21, 2021. Meaning we're going from a 5 month to an 11 month wait.

13. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

14. Hipporex

Yes, although Warner Bros. haven't stated why the film has been delayed, Covid-19 is most certainly the cause.

15. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I really liked the 2005 King Kong film. I've been meaning to watch Skull Island since I hear it's very good. Never gotten super into a Godzilla movie because there's never enough Godzilla screentime for my taste.

Are you guys familiar with Pulgasari? The production story is wild. Kim Jong-Il had a South Korean filmmaker kidnapped and forced him to make a Godzilla-inspired North Korea propaganda film. He eventually managed to escape.

Not sure if any of you are down for watching kid shows, but have you heard of Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts? It takes place in a post-apocalyptic future where plants and animals have been mutated. Some of them are kaiju-like "mega mutes" that look pretty cool. Something I love about animation is that you can make fantastic elements like kaiju much more prominent.

Also, not a movie or show, but... Have you guys heard of the video game "War of the Monsters"? You play as a kaiju (most homages to well-known kaiju, including some inspired by Godzilla, King Kong, and Rodan) and you destroy cities and fight other kaiju. I think you can get it on the PS4 as a download.

Yi Qi and Hipporex like this.
  16. Hipporex

I agree, King Kong 2005 is a real good movie. I highly recommend Kong: Skull Island, I enjoy it very much as well. If you don't think Godzilla movies give the Big G enough screen time then you probably wouldn't like Godzilla 2014 but I think you should give the new Godzilla: King of the Monsters a try, you'd probably enjoy it. I haven't heard of any of the other things but I may need to check them out except for the game as I don't have a PS4.

17. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, a lot of people didn't like the movie, but if there's enough kaiju screentime that might make it worth watching for me even if it turns out not to be very good overall. I'm just here for the monsters lol.

18. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Ugh, the 2005 King Kong was awful. And I should have liked it out of loyalty because it was made by Peter Jackson and he put weta in it. But, no, bleah!

Skull Island, on the other hand, I thought I would hate based on the trailers which just made it look really dumb, but it was a nice simple monster movie with good special effects, good music, and cool giant monsters. There's all sorts of problems with the acting and the character motivations and the changing dimensions of Kong and the ecological consequences for the island and so forth, but as a straight "here are a bunch of giant monsters and don't think about anything else" it is pretty good. It is miles ahead of the 2005 movie.

19. Hipporex

Kaiju hype is real.

This thread hasn't been update in a while and since I'm currently riding a Godzilla vs. Kong high I figured I add a couple things.

Godzilla Singular Point
    Netflix is gonna release an anime-style Godzilla series. Here's the trailer:

The first episode is set to release in April.

Godzilla vs. Kong
    A lot has happened with this film. A while back we got our first official promo image:
    [​IMG]
    Then it was announced that the film was gonna be moved up to March 26. It was claimed the film would be released in both theaters and on HBO Max on the same day but Legendary wanted a large chunk of change for this to happen. Netflix tried to swoop in and buy the release rights but a deal was made between Legendary and Warner Bros. 5 days ago HBO Max released this ad, giving us our first official film footage (literally just 2 seconds):

Then today, a tsunami of hype hit and we received our second official poster which I quickly changed my phone wallpaper and ZC and discord pfp to:
    [​IMG]
    In addition to this it was announced we'll be getting our first trailer Sunday. And finally, mere hours ago, teaser footage surfaced online which can be seen in this video (00:15 to 00:28):

I don't care what anyone says, I hyped as frick for this movie. I even just bought this sweet fan-made t-shirt:
    [​IMG]
    I will not be watching the trailer Sunday as I'd like to avoid as many spoilers as possible (in fact I told myself not to watch the above footage too but I caved). I hope you are as excited as I am for this film and I hope it doesn't disappoint.

#TeamGodzilla

20. Hipporex

Godzilla vs Kong
    I know I said I wasn't going to watch the trailer but I did anyway due to the fact I already had seen most of it from screenshots. Thankfully it doesn't spoil much.
    Godzilla vs. Kong – Official Trailer - YouTube
    Also the movie has been delayed one week and is now coming out March 31, 2021.

Pacific Rim: The Black
    A new anime-style Netflix series set in the Pacific Rim universe is set to come out March 24, 2021.
    Pacific Rim: The Black | Netflix Official Site

Untitled Kong: Skull Island Netflix series
    Netflix is also going to release anime-style series set on the Monsterverse's Skull Island.
    Tomb Raider & Kong: Skull Island Anime Series Are Happening at Netflix (movieweb.com)

Godzilla: Singular Point
    And finally Godzilla: Singular Point has gotten a new, human-focused trailer.
    Godzilla Singular Point | Teaser Trailer 2 | Netflix Anime - YouTube