Join our zoo community

Pairi Daiza The kingdom of Ganesh: opens 2009

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by forumbully, 10 Mar 2009.

1. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

I deliberately haven't posted anything on the subject yet, but now that paradisio opens in a few weeks and that the new project is finished WITH the main inhabitants coming soon, I thought I might give the international crowd a preview.

[​IMG]

The "Kingdom of Ganesh" is an Indonesian garden with artificial rice plateaus, tropical vegetation, an authentic village and 2 REAL Balinese temples. these temples were not ony built in Bali and flewn in, they are inaugurated by a Balinese priest. So basically they can have religious services there.

But of course it's not only a pretty picture. it's in a zoo, so there will be animals. Several of them are already in the park like indian porcupine, crested macaque, waterbuffalo, hornbills, ...

others will be coming soon like asian mongoose, king cobra and of course the elephants. Paradisio will start out with 2 female circus elephants and 1 male from a dutch zoo. Later on, other enclosures will be constructed to total at least 3 elephant enclosures.

2. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thank you! Can you post a picture of the elephant enclosure(s) too? I have no idea where the elephants fit into the pic above, it looks nice but not at all like an elephant enclosure.

Thanks again!

3. forumbully

It doesn't look like an elephant enclosure, because it's so much more than that :D
    It's an entire themed zone, like the chinese garden.

I haven't seen the finished elephant enclosure myself, because it's been finished during winter (while the park is closed)

but here's a view of where it should come (taken early summer 2008)
    Picasa Web Albums - Dragonlady - Paradisio juni

basically the path where you see the people walking is gone (it's rerouted to the viewing platform) and is now part of the enclosure.

this is the initial enclosure with the stables in the boat (from where the picture is taken) it ranges from the viewing platform, around the water and a few meters past the plants you see in the lower right corner (those plants were stashed there and are now planted in the park)

later on there will be a larger enclosure and a bull- enclosure on the other side of the temples. initially they were all supposed to be joined, but it's not clear to me whether or not this will indeed be the case.

4. Fodders

Fodders Well-Known Member

What species of birds are going in?

5. Gorilla Gust

Gorilla Gust Well-Known Member

Do you have any pictures of were the monkey's (crested macaque) live in this project?

6. forumbully

the species I know of:
    -Padda Oryzivora
    -Leucopsar rothschildi
    -Aceros undulatus (if I'm not mistaking)

there will also be a few pheasant species present. at least, that's what I've been told. but I don't know which ones.

regarding the macaques:

http://picasaweb.google.com/davinianl/ParadisioJuni#5213271919501263474

we should really put some more recent pictures online. this is the only one I have right now. the enclosure wasn't finished at that time. now the enclosure consists a piece of temple ruin. live palmtrees, climbing branches and a waterfall that ends in 2 small streams running through the enclosure.

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you already know which elephants (ID et al) will be arriving ... starting with the 2 female circus elephants? And what about the bull (mature or sub-adult)?

Is the purpose of the elephant exhibit breeding, repository for elderly eles or repository for young bulls?

8. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

I'm so excited! This exhibit is going to be amazing! As it already looks it, Oh I know I'm just gonna dream about being in that picture tonight!
    I'm particularly looking forward to the new elephants arriving there! :D
    Bull coming from a Dutch zoo.... wow this is interesting.. I can already try to guess what bull will be coming...

I better stop now before I over gasp.:D

Last edited: 11 Mar 2009
  9. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks Forumbully!

Honestly, from the picture you posted, the elephant part doesn`t look impressing, but rather very small. The barn being on a boat sounds like not very much indoor space neither.. I am hoping very much I`m wrong and that will be a modern, fantastic facility. I can`t wait to see more pictures of the finished enclosure and I hope you`ll give us a hands-on report soon!

10. forumbully

@kifaru bwana: yes I know which elephants are coming. but I haven't even posted that info on zoosite, which is my own forum. so I'm going to keep you guessing for a few days, after all, I AM a bully ;)
    But to give you something: it's going to be a mature, breeding bull.

@Yassa: the picture of the enclosure itself is taken very early last year, so no telling what it looks like now. You're right that it's not a very large enclosure. But by 2010-2011 the other enclosures should be ready and just wait untill you see those...
    those will be the ones for the breeding herd, while this one will be used for more educational purposes and house only a few animals.

11. mark77

mark77 Well-Known Member

Had a tour round in January. Will see if i have any postable photos of enclosures etc of Paradisio.

12. mark77

mark77 Well-Known Member

Have added a few images to gallery, macaque outdoor, view from top etc

13. Gorilla Gust

Nice pics, thanks! :cool:

14. dragon(ele)nerd

Damn! ;) ok... If it is a mature breeding bull from a Dutch zoo the only one I can think of that is full grown and has been transported from zoo to zoo is Alexander..?

15. forumbully

I raided my girlfriends picture map today and put some more pics online.
    all of them are taken last summer when construction was still in progress.
    enjoy!

the macaque enclosure:
    [​IMG]

the hornbills (still in their old enclosure in the oasis):
    [​IMG]

cave entrance:
    [​IMG]

about 1/3 future elephant enclosure:
    [​IMG]

some scenery:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope you like it.

16. Fodders

Fodders Well-Known Member

what is in the old wreathed hornbill aviary?

17. dragon(ele)nerd

neat photos, thanks for sharing...

18. Gorilla Gust

19. dragon(ele)nerd

yes, thank you can't wait to see what Alexander will look like amongst the exhibit. And it's great that they is a possibiltiy of importing females from Indonesia looks like it's gonna be a great exhibit.

Do you think that Alexander will stay there for a longer period of time?

20. forumbully

Claudi and Sandri, formerly from circus Knie in Switserland have been in the park for some time now. These former circus elefants are used in demos and come in very close contact with the public.

The kingdom of ganesh opens officially around may 15th. meanwhile visitors can already see the macaques, waterbuffalo (that have a calf) and of course the elefants.

The elefant bull alexander will come soon, but for now he's still in amerfoort. apparently one of their females came into cyclus, so he's supposed to mate with her first.