Join our zoo community

The narrow striped mongoose / boky boky

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 9 Dec 2020.

1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Its an interesting concept, biogeographically correct and one I find quite intriguing to keep / display boky boky with mongoose.

2. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

To be honest the ones in Jersey and Newquay looks much better, than the one I have seen. If I have to pick one is going to be Berlin's ( I have seen the enclosure, but not the animal inside). This enclosure doesn't exist anymore, but should be replaced with, hopefully better one, very soon.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, I agree, I think both Jersey and Newquay look like the best of the lot.

Apparently the species is also held at Marwell and at Chester.

From what others have said the ones at Chester are off-show but I would be really curious to see what the Marwell enclosure looks like.

4. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They have never been on-show at Chester as far as I know. The Fossa enclosure in the new zone Madagascar there is one of the best I have seen, btw. Chester has Boky, Grandidier's Vontsira and White-tailed Anstangy behind the curtains. They all would be a fantastic additions to the Madagascar zone.

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I certainly agree that they would make for great additions to the Madagascar zone but I can understand their hesitance with the Grandidier's due to how nervous the animals are and the importance of breeding them.

twilighter likes this.
  6. Greenshank

Greenshank Well-Known Member

I recently visited Marwell (pre lockdown) and despite being the animal I most wanted to see there I somehow failed to find the narrow striped mongoose, I wonder whether they are still on show. Anyway enjoying this thread about a wonderful little animal, I'm going to have to visit one of the other UK collections which has them and finally see one in the flesh in the new year (hopefully!)

7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

That is a shame, I can imagine your frustration, but hopefully in the new year you will manage to see one of these amazing little carnivores and the wait will have been worth it. ;)

8. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member